What Kind of Mattress?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our bed sizes are not the same here as for most of you. But it seems to be the bigger the bed the better these days. We will update the rest of ours in a fortnight as it slows ways down here and we can shut down to do all the shifting.
Do you put a mattress pad on your beds under your linens?

Our bed sizes are not the same here as for most of you. But it seems to be the bigger the bed the better these days. We will update the rest of ours in a fortnight as it slows ways down here and we can shut down to do all the shifting.
Do you put a mattress pad on your beds under your linens?.
Mattress. Mattress topper. Bed Bug Proof (Waterproof) mattress encasement. Cotton or Microfibre mattress protector (because the bedbug proof one is to slippery) and then sheets, etc. Lots of layers, but better safe than sorry.

Halfmoonbay said:
Our B & B Assoc requires mattress protectors and pillow protectors. Saves the mattress from a LOT of problems and gives extra fluff too.

Halfmoonbay said:
Our B & B Assoc requires mattress protectors and pillow protectors. Saves the mattress from a LOT of problems and gives extra fluff too.
Our government takes off points for not having them.

We bought several Sealy Bellagio mattresses for queen beds and a couple of day beds. Good responses from guests. It is also a good marketing tool. Our descriptions say that this is the same mattress as in the Bellagio hotels in Las Vegas.

Mattress. Mattress topper. Bed Bug Proof (Waterproof) mattress encasement. Cotton or Microfibre mattress protector (because the bedbug proof one is to slippery) and then sheets, etc. Lots of layers, but better safe than sorry.
In addition to the waterproof/bug proof layer, I use a heavily quilted mattress pad and an additional lighter easily-washable cotton mattress pad. I guess we get a lot of romantic couples
wink_smile.gif
so the top pad gets washed as part of the changeover between guests. The stains have never penetrated to the heavier quilted layer, so that layer gets washed only monthly...and sometimes not even that often.

In addition to the waterproof/bug proof layer, I use a heavily quilted mattress pad and an additional lighter easily-washable cotton mattress pad. I guess we get a lot of romantic couples
wink_smile.gif
so the top pad gets washed as part of the changeover between guests. The stains have never penetrated to the heavier quilted layer, so that layer gets washed only monthly...and sometimes not even that often.
I really like the thin covers that came with the memory foam. I'd like more of those as they are so much easier to clean than the thick mattress pads. I hadn't thought of using a thin pad.
I covered the memory foam with an encasing plastic cover, then the thick mattress pad and then the thin sheet-like cover.
It would be easier to wash the thin one every time. Good idea!

wink_smile.gif
I really like the thin covers that came with the memory foam. I'd like more of those as they are so much easier to clean than the thick mattress pads. I hadn't thought of using a thin pad.
I covered the memory foam with an encasing plastic cover, then the thick mattress pad and then the thin sheet-like cover.
Yeah, the thin mattress pad on top saves hours of drying time. I pity the health inspector when she does her yearly inspection for BB. She likes to pull the pad corners off see the seam in mattress below. Needless to say she stops after she has peeled the 3rd layer and still can not see the mattress.
shades_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif
Yeah, the thin mattress pad on top saves hours of drying time. I pity the health inspector when she does her yearly inspection for BB. She likes to pull the pad corners off see the seam in mattress below. Needless to say she stops after she has peeled the 3rd layer and still can not see the mattress.
shades_smile.gif

Silverspoon said:
shades_smile.gif
Where did you get them? The covers for the memory foam are more like satin sheets than a mattress pad. I'd like more of those! They wash beautifully.

wink_smile.gif
shades_smile.gif

Silverspoon said:
shades_smile.gif
Where did you get them? The covers for the memory foam are more like satin sheets than a mattress pad. I'd like more of those! They wash beautifully.
microfibre. washes fast and easy.

wink_smile.gif
shades_smile.gif

Silverspoon said:
shades_smile.gif
Oh God...I have no idea where I got them. I scour the disco racks of all discount stores and pick them up when I can get them at a decent price. I do get a cotton top, though, since I think it is cooler more absorbent and bleaches.

wink_smile.gif
shades_smile.gif

Silverspoon said:
shades_smile.gif
Oh God...I have no idea where I got them. I scour the disco racks of all discount stores and pick them up when I can get them at a decent price. I do get a cotton top, though, since I think it is cooler more absorbent and bleaches.
Silverspoon said:
That's always the way! I hate telling guests where I get stuff because I do the same thing. 'Oooo! Look at this! Buy 5!' And guests particularly love one of the quilts I have. JCP. They always think it's from some high end specialty inn store. Luckily, the blankets are from a store in town so I can send some biz their way.

Back