What Kind of Mattress?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anon Inn

Reaction score
Full size bed is outta here!, now I need to replace with a queen. I have the bed, but need the mattress. In past years, I went with the cost club and was entirely pleased with the Sealy mattress and box springs but the current online reviews for those products are less than stellar.
Advice?

I buy mattresses made specifically for B&Bs of the higher quality, that are very firm and then add a topper.
It's not the name, because they change the names from store to store. It's about the number of coils and the thickness of the metal used for coils. The mattresses that I have purchased are double sided when most personal mattresses today are single sided.

It won't help but we buy our mattresses locally. That way if anything goes wrong I can call them to fix it.
All the standard mattresses made in the US are made basically by two or three manufacturers. They're all the same with different coverings. Find something you like and go with it. Sealy, Serta, Simmons. All made by the same factories. Different labels, covers, but the same thing. Low end, middle and high.
I get a firm mattress and add a puffy pad on top. I've even decided to keep two mattresses that are 20+ years old and refurbish them with memory foam. Guests are raving. Especially repeat guests who have slept in the room before.
Looking at the reviews go by comments about construction. You can't go by comments about how well someone slept unless they mention things that would bother everyone.

Anon, I bought ours in the big metro city in my state (you know which one I mean). We sleep on them, and so do our guests. We get great comments. The brand name is Eng lan der which is manufactured in my state. We got them at Mat tress World NW and they're the top of that line. No matter where you go (except box stores), be sure to barter! We got our for about 1/2 of the price shown on the sales floor.

I have, on the queen now in the Harris room, the mattress I bought from a mattress company (made there and delivered free then) in Huntington, WV in 1996 - it cost $400 then. It is a double-sided pillowtop that has always received comments of - best night of sleep in a long time. I now have a puffier mattress pad. Would get a memory foam but my sheets will not fit if I do - will be too thick. I just keep flipping it. It has now gone from the most used to the least used room.
Get firm - it will last longer.

Anon, I bought ours in the big metro city in my state (you know which one I mean). We sleep on them, and so do our guests. We get great comments. The brand name is Eng lan der which is manufactured in my state. We got them at Mat tress World NW and they're the top of that line. No matter where you go (except box stores), be sure to barter! We got our for about 1/2 of the price shown on the sales floor..
Thanks. I may be able to get that near here too. Roger on the barter.

I buy mattresses made specifically for B&Bs of the higher quality, that are very firm and then add a topper.
It's not the name, because they change the names from store to store. It's about the number of coils and the thickness of the metal used for coils. The mattresses that I have purchased are double sided when most personal mattresses today are single sided..
I just added a topper to the pull out in the apartment. Thumbs up from the guests.
regular_smile.gif

It won't help but we buy our mattresses locally. That way if anything goes wrong I can call them to fix it.
All the standard mattresses made in the US are made basically by two or three manufacturers. They're all the same with different coverings. Find something you like and go with it. Sealy, Serta, Simmons. All made by the same factories. Different labels, covers, but the same thing. Low end, middle and high.
I get a firm mattress and add a puffy pad on top. I've even decided to keep two mattresses that are 20+ years old and refurbish them with memory foam. Guests are raving. Especially repeat guests who have slept in the room before.
Looking at the reviews go by comments about construction. You can't go by comments about how well someone slept unless they mention things that would bother everyone..
The old full set is from 2003. Good as new but I no longer have a place for it. :(
OK. Advice here seems to agree with my pre-disposition to go with a traditional mattress instead of the gel or memory foam then add that kind of topper if needed. Too much choice out there, and reviews are so iffy.

It's not the name, because they change the names from store to store. It's about the number of coils and the thickness of the metal used for coils. The mattresses that I have purchased are double sided when most personal mattresses today are single sided..
Charlie said:
I've never tried mattresses specifically for B&Bs, but I would definitely agree with get a higher quality, firmer mattress and put the thickest mattress topper on you can find (mine are 7cm deep). I get a great many compliments about how comfortable the beds are.
There's an online mattress company here in the UK called Matt ressm an. They have a bargain section on their website, they often sell off mattresses for as much as half price because of a small tear in the fabric. So that might be worth looking out for.

Do you think it's best to go with firm? Maybe that should be a poll. Maybe there is an old poll in here I should look for!

Looking at the reviews go by comments about construction. You can't go by comments about how well someone slept unless they mention things that would bother everyone..
The old full set is from 2003. Good as new but I no longer have a place for it. :(
OK. Advice here seems to agree with my pre-disposition to go with a traditional mattress instead of the gel or memory foam then add that kind of topper if needed. Too much choice out there, and reviews are so iffy.
Yes, go with a traditional mattress. They hold up better.... I slept on a memory foam mattress at a friends and didn't like it one bit but a memory foam topper is nice on a regular bed. If a guest likes a firm mattress just remove the topper and you have a happy guest!

Do you think it's best to go with firm? Maybe that should be a poll. Maybe there is an old poll in here I should look for!.
We used to go with semi-firm until we moved to the toppers.... now we go for firm, the topper leaves enough leeway that everyone is happy.

Didn't know about the same factories different labels thing.
When we first moved here, we hauled the antique bed we sleep in and a 1920s Sealy mattress from my folks house. It was still structurally in great shape and we'll been sleeping on it when we visited them for years. When we got it here though and tried beating some of the dust from it, well the dust just kept coming. So springs and such were OK, but some internal disintegration in the padding must have been generating all the dust. So reluctantly we hauled it to the dump before it came in the house. Some antiques improve with age.....some NOT.

Do you think it's best to go with firm? Maybe that should be a poll. Maybe there is an old poll in here I should look for!.
I think I'm going with the flow here. Firm plus topper. All my sheets are made for thicker mattresses than I use, so the topper will fill that gap.
I just replaced the mattress on the apt. sofa bed. Now with the new topper included, it is very difficult to fold and tuck the bed. I'm going to try a zip cover for the topper and stow that in a cupboard for the people who want it. They will have to remake the bed themselves, but at least they have the option.
Our only complaints this year were for the apt. beds, the pullout has a new and better mattress and the new queen in the bedroom will soon have new mattress and topper. Other jobs coming, but not quite yet.......

Anon, I bought ours in the big metro city in my state (you know which one I mean). We sleep on them, and so do our guests. We get great comments. The brand name is Eng lan der which is manufactured in my state. We got them at Mat tress World NW and they're the top of that line. No matter where you go (except box stores), be sure to barter! We got our for about 1/2 of the price shown on the sales floor..
Here's the two hundred dollar question though - did they deliver?

Yes, go with a traditional mattress. They hold up better.... I slept on a memory foam mattress at a friends and didn't like it one bit but a memory foam topper is nice on a regular bed. If a guest likes a firm mattress just remove the topper and you have a happy guest!
thumbs_up.gif

Anon Inn said:
Yes and a qualified yes. They delivered free to our house 30 minutes from the metro city (not the b&b) and here's a great feature. The first bed we tried which was for us was not top of the line, but I liked how it felt in the store. I slept on it several times and kept waking up, having to turn over. Called the store. No problem. They had a 101 night guarantee...gave me full credit for what I paid and I chose the top of the line instead. They did charge me a delivery charge for the second delivery which I thought was very fair.
Now for the delivery to our b&b which is farther. We did have to pay a healthy delivery charge, but since we were convinced about the quality of the mattress, I gladly paid. And they took away the old mattresses free.

Anon Inn said:
Yes and a qualified yes. They delivered free to our house 30 minutes from the metro city (not the b&b) and here's a great feature. The first bed we tried which was for us was not top of the line, but I liked how it felt in the store. I slept on it several times and kept waking up, having to turn over. Called the store. No problem. They had a 101 night guarantee...gave me full credit for what I paid and I chose the top of the line instead. They did charge me a delivery charge for the second delivery which I thought was very fair.
Now for the delivery to our b&b which is farther. We did have to pay a healthy delivery charge, but since we were convinced about the quality of the mattress, I gladly paid. And they took away the old mattresses free.
I'm OK with a delivery fee too, esp if they take the old ones.. Part of the reason I checked the cost club online first was the free delivery, but quality trumps convenience.
regular_smile.gif

When we first moved here, we hauled the antique bed we sleep in and a 1920s Sealy mattress from my folks house. It was still structurally in great shape and we'll been sleeping on it when we visited them for years. When we got it here though and tried beating some of the dust from it, well the dust just kept coming. So springs and such were OK, but some internal disintegration in the padding must have been generating all the dust. So reluctantly we hauled it to the dump before it came in the house. Some antiques improve with age.....some NOT.
you learn all sorts of disgusting things shopping for mattresses - apparently they can double in weight with skin cells and dead dust mites and stuff - belugh

you learn all sorts of disgusting things shopping for mattresses - apparently they can double in weight with skin cells and dead dust mites and stuff - belugh
They can't if you cover them in a bedbug proof mattress protector... nothing gets in there!
I still can't believe that people actually care what the fabric of a mattress looks like, or even thread-count... REALLY? You are going to cover it with a mattress protector, sheets, etc. No one is ever going to see that fabric again!

Back