What Kitchen Items are an Absolute Must?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have two full size fridges and I can't imagine getting by with just one, especially when I'm doing dinners, too. I don't have a separate freezer, just the freezer compartment of each fridge. I don't have a space to put a stand-up freezer and the chest style simply doesn't work for me (a chest freezer is like a black hole: things go in but they don't come out).
My stove is an old Garland commercial beast and I love it. Runs on propane (no natural gas lines here) which is great for the 4 burners and side griddle. The oven is nice and wide so I can bake/roast a lot at once, but it's propane also. The best part of the stove is there's not an electrical component to it so when the power is out, it still works. I've had to cook more than one breakfast in a power outage!
I sometimes use a toaster oven for baking if I have just something small to do (ie 2 scones). I also use it for my chocolate souffles since my main oven doesn't have a window in the door.
I love my blender, of all things. It's got a 1hp motor so it can handle just about anything.
I have 2 waffle irons, 2 coffee makers, electric kettle, microwave (rarely used for guests), electric griddle for pancakes, food processors (2 sizes), KitchenAid stand mixer, and a bread machine that I use for making my dough but not baking.
One of my favourite tools is a digital kitchen scale. Much more accurate, plus quicker and less messy than volume measures. I've actually weighed the main ingredients for many of my go-to recipes so I can whip them together faster.
I'm a kitchen junkie, though. Even before buying the B&B, I had most of these toys tools except for the griddle, bread machine and extra coffee maker..
See I am a kitchen junkie as well. Being a home economist...I always went to our conferences and got great deals on every new small appliance out there!! NOw...I am trying to get rid of most of it. My niece's new apartment kitchen was filled entirely by the cast offs I no longer needed when we closed the B & B. And I still have tons of stuff I need to get rid of. I unloaded (donated:) about 200 cookbooks at the library last week and still have shelves more to go!!!
You probably don't want to get into this, but I have been selling my cookbooks on Amazon. Nice donation for the library, tho! That's where all of my 'extra' books are going next year if they don't sell online.

I would like to have two ovens. I bake so much in the morning that my single kenmore electric oven is overloaded and both racks are usually full. Sometimes I am baking items that require different temperatures...for example...the scones might need to be at 400 degrees and something else is at 350 so having two ovens would alleviate this and also provide more room. I would also like to have a cook stop instead of the range set up I have now. Hardly ever use the microwave. Always use the Kitchen Aid mixer for cookie dough, use a blender for smoothies sometimes, 1 waring waffle maker, 1 BUNN coffee maker, 1 coffee grinder, extra freezer in the garage. Oh and I love my dishwasher..
Yes! A second oven would be helpful. I could use my oven and transport thru the house but then I still need to keep that item warm once it hits the inn kitchen. So we've decided that if there is an 'oven' entree there cannot be an 'oven' starter on the same day.
Bree said:
So we've decided that if there is an 'oven' entree there cannot be an 'oven' starter on the same day.
We manage our menu the same way. That's why I can't do short order cooking. If it's a sausage day (at least 50% of the time), two burners are in use for browning the meat. If I have hot apple soup, that takes a big burner to keep warm. Can't have two pans of French toast and a pan of apple-rhubarb compote and a pan of sausage links in the oven (we cook them in the oven, then brown before serving) at the same time. One order for scrambled eggs gums up the whole works.
muirford said:
Bree said:
So we've decided that if there is an 'oven' entree there cannot be an 'oven' starter on the same day.
We manage our menu the same way. That's why I can't do short order cooking. If it's a sausage day (at least 50% of the time), two burners are in use for browning the meat. If I have hot apple soup, that takes a big burner to keep warm. Can't have two pans of French toast and a pan of apple-rhubarb compote and a pan of sausage links in the oven (we cook them in the oven, then brown before serving) at the same time. One order for scrambled eggs gums up the whole works.
geo foreman grill can also hold the meat on warm for you - it is an extension of our cooktop.
We use the toaster oven to hot hold, but it's not big enough for a casserole dish. Ex- today I made 'everything but the kitchen sink cobbler'. So, that has to cook for 45 minutes and then stay hot, so nothing else can go in the oven at the same time. So we had omelets, with toast. Ha, we serve toast 2-3 times/week.

After reading, I am spoiled!
I have:
a six burner gas stove with two convection ovens and two broilers and a griddle (which we never use) I like using an old fashioned flat cast iron tortilla cooker for my griddle. I cook everything on convection!
I have a water spicot over the stove.
2 belgian waffle irons
2 coffee makers
Microwave
2 fridges
separate freezer
2 separate sinks
Bread machine (never use)
Electric skillets (only use to keep meats warm for large groups)
I wish I had:
Two complete sets of adonized cookware with glass lids
Self cleaning feature on the ovens
stain proof linens that last forever
Better interior cabinet storage (Like pull out drawers)
Trash compactor
Kitchen aid stand mixer
Big food processor

I have two full size fridges and I can't imagine getting by with just one, especially when I'm doing dinners, too. I don't have a separate freezer, just the freezer compartment of each fridge. I don't have a space to put a stand-up freezer and the chest style simply doesn't work for me (a chest freezer is like a black hole: things go in but they don't come out).
My stove is an old Garland commercial beast and I love it. Runs on propane (no natural gas lines here) which is great for the 4 burners and side griddle. The oven is nice and wide so I can bake/roast a lot at once, but it's propane also. The best part of the stove is there's not an electrical component to it so when the power is out, it still works. I've had to cook more than one breakfast in a power outage!
I sometimes use a toaster oven for baking if I have just something small to do (ie 2 scones). I also use it for my chocolate souffles since my main oven doesn't have a window in the door.
I love my blender, of all things. It's got a 1hp motor so it can handle just about anything.
I have 2 waffle irons, 2 coffee makers, electric kettle, microwave (rarely used for guests), electric griddle for pancakes, food processors (2 sizes), KitchenAid stand mixer, and a bread machine that I use for making my dough but not baking.
One of my favourite tools is a digital kitchen scale. Much more accurate, plus quicker and less messy than volume measures. I've actually weighed the main ingredients for many of my go-to recipes so I can whip them together faster.
I'm a kitchen junkie, though. Even before buying the B&B, I had most of these toys tools except for the griddle, bread machine and extra coffee maker..
See I am a kitchen junkie as well. Being a home economist...I always went to our conferences and got great deals on every new small appliance out there!! NOw...I am trying to get rid of most of it. My niece's new apartment kitchen was filled entirely by the cast offs I no longer needed when we closed the B & B. And I still have tons of stuff I need to get rid of. I unloaded (donated:) about 200 cookbooks at the library last week and still have shelves more to go!!!
You probably don't want to get into this, but I have been selling my cookbooks on Amazon. Nice donation for the library, tho! That's where all of my 'extra' books are going next year if they don't sell online.
NO not interested is selling on amazon. I'd rather give them to the library.:)

Friday - go to bed @ midnight
Up Saturday to cook breakfast for guests at 5am
On go all day with getting materials for new bathroom
9:45PM - I need pudding
Midnight go to Chapel home at 1AM and in bed 1:15
Up at 5 to make breakfast
Take daughter's friend site-seeing - totally enjoyable but tiring as we got home at 8:30PM
9PM- I need pudding
What I need in my kitchen right now is a cleaver and garbage bags - and my daughter told me I have forgotten cement - ALWAYS need cement..
A cleaver- garbage bags - and cement?
omg_smile.gif

I would like to have two ovens. I bake so much in the morning that my single kenmore electric oven is overloaded and both racks are usually full. Sometimes I am baking items that require different temperatures...for example...the scones might need to be at 400 degrees and something else is at 350 so having two ovens would alleviate this and also provide more room. I would also like to have a cook stop instead of the range set up I have now. Hardly ever use the microwave. Always use the Kitchen Aid mixer for cookie dough, use a blender for smoothies sometimes, 1 waring waffle maker, 1 BUNN coffee maker, 1 coffee grinder, extra freezer in the garage. Oh and I love my dishwasher..
Yes! A second oven would be helpful. I could use my oven and transport thru the house but then I still need to keep that item warm once it hits the inn kitchen. So we've decided that if there is an 'oven' entree there cannot be an 'oven' starter on the same day.
Bree said:
muirford said:
Bree said:
geo foreman grill can also hold the meat on warm for you - it is an extension of our cooktop.
We use the toaster oven to hot hold, but it's not big enough for a casserole dish. Ex- today I made 'everything but the kitchen sink cobbler'. So, that has to cook for 45 minutes and then stay hot, so nothing else can go in the oven at the same time. So we had omelets, with toast. Ha, we serve toast 2-3 times/week.
We serve toast frequently, too. I have a 4-slice and a 2-slice so can serve 6 at once. My house bread is a tall, hearty multi-grain loaf and I slice it thick, so one piece is enough for most people. Breakfast times are often staggered, so 6 slots works. If I have a group of 8 or more dining all at once, I do scones or biscuits instead of toast.

We have 9 rooms and operate out of what I feel is the world's tiniest kitchen...it is literally 8 x 8...so more space would be my first priority...before we got our new side-by-side fridge, you couldn't have the oven door and the fridge open at the same time...very fun choreography while you're serving breakfast! Now the fridge door (on the right side) can be open while someone is standing in front of the stove/oven.
The thing I am happiest to have in my arsenal is a stand-up freezer in the garage...the chest freezers are just too hard for me to keep organized and you have to pull everything out to get at what's in the bottom. Our stand-up is the size of a "normal" fridge and has shelves like a fridge, so it's very easy to keep things organized and see what you have on hand. We buy bulk fresh sausage, link sausage and bacon from a local farmer, so it's nice to be able to process this into usable 1-pound freezer bags and keep them stacked in the freezer. We buy shredded cheese in bulk at Costco and do the same thing...also bags of frozen blueberries, strawberries, and peaches.
I wish we had another oven, period...so I could start baking while DH is still serving breakfast...I'm thinking a large toaster oven would do the trick for us, we're looking into it. Otherwise, we do fine with a regular 4-burner stove. It is electric though, I wish it was gas.
We have a three-burner Bunn coffee maker and three airpot servers which do a great job (you have to heat them up with hot water before putting the coffee in them, and they will hold temperature for 6 hours easily)..
I have both a stand up freezer and second fridge (large side by side) in our garage. Both are not turned on as they are still buried behind renovation lumber.
sad_smile.gif
Isn't that special?? I think I've mentioned more than once that my dh is a packrat who never goes through stuff and throws anything away...including scraps of lumber. sigh... The garage is on my list for me to tackle but it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down on the list. If he got in there and cleaned that place up, he would have a workshop that is the size of a one car garage & we would still have 2 bays to actually park vehicles!

Because of the single oven we don't serve baked goods when there is a baked breakfast. So, quiche gets toast. We used to do biscuits and they always ended up burnt being hot held in the oven with the casserole. But, breakfast is cook's choice and cook likes toast.
wink_smile.gif
He won't serve eggs without toast. I like a nice hearty nutty bread for the toast. I'd love to do scones. Maybe I can try to do those the night before and then do a quick reheat in the micro.

I have an LG microwave with a toaster on the right side of the microwave! It saves alot of fooling around with another appliance. I like it very much. I wish it was a four slicer in times of crunch.
I also have a buthcer block (antique) in the middle of the kitchen. It saves steps. I place many food items on the buthcer block as I prepare the breakfast.

Because of the single oven we don't serve baked goods when there is a baked breakfast. So, quiche gets toast. We used to do biscuits and they always ended up burnt being hot held in the oven with the casserole. But, breakfast is cook's choice and cook likes toast.
wink_smile.gif
He won't serve eggs without toast. I like a nice hearty nutty bread for the toast. I'd love to do scones. Maybe I can try to do those the night before and then do a quick reheat in the micro..
Hmmm... I haven't really had a problem with doing both, even if I don't use my side warming oven. So far, the timing has worked out. Toast to me is more of a pain to get it out hot for each guest, especially if I am doing everything on my own.

Bree said:
muirford said:
Bree said:
I never serve toast except on request. There is always some other kind of baked good. If I serve biscuits or scones they are the savory baked good of the day.

I have 4 coffee pots that vary from 8 to 12 cup pots and 1 that is a large one - the 12 to 24 cups. I now have my Kitchenaid mixer out of the "hole" - the shelf in the passage between kitchen and owner's bathroom - and on the new sideboard but went so many years without using it because it was too hard to get to, that I rarely use it now. I have bread pans of all sizes and although I have 2 2-slice toasters,, we rarely serve toast - it is usually English muffin bread and each person gets a small loaf. 4-burner electric stove (prefer gas but with the Big A in the gene pool not smart) with one oven. I am so used to managing with what I have that I cannot think of what I would like to have other than counter space and a freezer.

"A REALLY GOOD set of knives" was the first item on my list. That has to be the most essential element to my galley.

"A REALLY GOOD set of knives" was the first item on my list. That has to be the most essential element to my galley..
Sanctuary in Miami said:
"A REALLY GOOD set of knives" was the first item on my list. That has to be the most essential element to my galley.
You are so right!! I got a new Wusthof tomato knife for Christmas from DH (I had broken one of mine) and I was very happy. What brand do you like, and have you tried any of the ceramic blades yet? I want to but I'm kindof scared...I'm a little klutzy.

I forgot the most important kitchen item that you need... a good assistant to help you serve and clean up!
wink_smile.gif

Bree said:
muirford said:
hot apple soup
That's sounds yummy. Care to share the recipe?

Good knives; food processor; hand held immersion blender; enough cutting boards that you can chop many things without taking the time to clean between foods; BIG bowls to hold fruit that needs to tossed, double batches of muffin mixes, enough scrambled egg mix to feed a small army, double/triple batches of cookie dough

Bree said:
muirford said:
hot apple soup
penelope said:
muirford said:
hot apple soup
I think this is the recipe

Bree said:
muirford said:
hot apple soup
penelope said:
muirford said:
hot apple soup
I think this is the recipe
Thanks, Bree

"A REALLY GOOD set of knives" was the first item on my list. That has to be the most essential element to my galley..
Sanctuary in Miami said:
You are so right!! I got a new Wusthof tomato knife for Christmas from DH (I had broken one of mine) and I was very happy. What brand do you like, and have you tried any of the ceramic blades yet? I want to but I'm kindof scared...I'm a little klutzy.
muirford said:
Sanctuary in Miami said:
I have a Wusthof santuko that I use for most everything. Then, I have my specialty knives, made by Cutco, such a boning, cheese, bird's beak (for doing ornamental garnishes), bread knife, very long serrated knife for cutting cake layers in half, etc. The Cutco knives have stayed exceptionally sharp for over three years now.

Back