What Makes Someone Leave a Website?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have trouble with the last suggestion about keeping the content fresh and updated. My website is essientially an online brochure. The content doesn't change unless we change a price or policy or add a new package.
I don't have time to blog AND maintain a Facebook presence too. I know it's important for SEO, but, as we all know, people rarely go beyond your title page. They see the location and the phone number and call.
And, it's not like the same individuals "follow" your web page daily. They're not going to do that unless you are providing a website that gives them something they use on a daily basis. Heck, I don't even look at my website every day.

I have trouble with the last suggestion about keeping the content fresh and updated. My website is essientially an online brochure. The content doesn't change unless we change a price or policy or add a new package.
I don't have time to blog AND maintain a Facebook presence too. I know it's important for SEO, but, as we all know, people rarely go beyond your title page. They see the location and the phone number and call.
And, it's not like the same individuals "follow" your web page daily. They're not going to do that unless you are providing a website that gives them something they use on a daily basis. Heck, I don't even look at my website every day..
Keeping content fresh applies if there are a lot of people in the same business fighting for the same guest. If your website is never updated Google assumes it is a 'dead' site and eventually moves it down the list if there's anything else to move up the list. And, if Google crawls your website and finds no new content, then the crawling slows until it might take months for new content to even be crawled. (So, if you added a new page it would take a long time for it to show in a search.)

And, it's not like the same individuals "follow" your web page daily. They're not going to do that unless you are providing a website that gives them something they use on a daily basis. Heck, I don't even look at my website every day..
Proud Texan said:
And, it's not like the same individuals "follow" your web page daily. They're not going to do that unless you are providing a website that gives them something they use on a daily basis. Heck, I don't even look at my website every day.
Agree. It's not like as a rule we have the same people coming back to our website again and again, although I would say I find it off-putting if there is information on a website that is obviously out of date, like special offers that finished weeks ago.
It does surprise me how many B&B websites I come across with irritating music and videos that re-start every time you go back to the home page, or navigation buttons in different places on each website page. The bag-pipes are a lovely Scottish tradition in the right setting (speaking as an Englishman), but you don't want them blaring out of the screen at you whilst you're trying to book a stay somewhere!

Proud Texan said:
Agree. It's not like as a rule we have the same people coming back to our website again and again, although I would say I find it off-putting if there is information on a website that is obviously out of date, like special offers that finished weeks ago.
It does surprise me how many B&B websites I come across with irritating music and videos that re-start every time you go back to the home page, or navigation buttons in different places on each website page. The bag-pipes are a lovely Scottish tradition in the right setting (speaking as an Englishman), but you don't want them blaring out of the screen at you whilst you're trying to book a stay somewhere!
A web site designer said this to me - he never puts music on a web site or people to buy or book things because if they are trying to have a crafty look at work the music starts and they have to close your site down and may end up booking somewhere else that doesn't grass them up!

Proud Texan said:
A web site designer said this to me - he never puts music on a web site or people to buy or book things because if they are trying to have a crafty look at work the music starts and they have to close your site down and may end up booking somewhere else that doesn't grass them up!
Exactly!!!

Largely, the "keep it fresh" for SEO in our business is over-repeated hype. It just does not hold true.
A blog does help but mainly because it results in more content (more hooks in the water with greater variety) than it does for "fresh content".
If you have a healthy dose of quality incoming links, that will do more to influence Google's re-crawl rate than content freshness.
Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating for content stale-ness, but the emphasis on freshness for SEO is usually misattributed.

Largely, the "keep it fresh" for SEO in our business is over-repeated hype. It just does not hold true.
A blog does help but mainly because it results in more content (more hooks in the water with greater variety) than it does for "fresh content".
If you have a healthy dose of quality incoming links, that will do more to influence Google's re-crawl rate than content freshness.
Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating for content stale-ness, but the emphasis on freshness for SEO is usually misattributed.
See, I just say that stuff so we know you're still alive. I know you'll set the record straight.
wink_smile.gif

Back