what people think sells best?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Camb

Reaction score
I am torn two ways with this and would like people's opinion we have special harrogate water (we are a spa town) they sell it bottled still and sparkling (just tastes and smells like normal water) and wondered if it would be a nice touch to put a bottle in the superior rooms as part of a package you could order as an add on maybe. Our local tap water is fine it would just be for add on purposes. Also I have a nice cabinet in reception which locks thinking of putting some local produce in it and selling ie Harrogate water, we have harrogate toffee (they supply to the Queen and has a royal stamp of approval) odds and ends etc. What do people think?
I know that quite a few people sell all sorts but and it was discussed a bit before but what I would like to know of the people who do sell things what sells best? plus is it a particular price range ie under $15 dollars etc impulse buys? things with names on (ie the inn names) etc
thanks

It's funny. We rarely sell anything in a gift shop sort of way. Then again, I don't really try to. But, I would say that things with the name on them are the best.
Funny, our 'local' bottled water is sold all over the country and in Canada, too, so it's not a big deal to find it and no one would PAY anything more than a $1 for it if I tried to sell it!

Bottled water in a package or add on? No way, wouldn't fly. Unless it was titled something snazzy with ALL local Harrogate items and the water was in there as well. I would guess a gift hamper, so the bottle of water could hold up the back with its height.
Now the toffee yes, easy to put in your suitcase or give as a gift. I would go for that, IF you can get it wholesale and make it worth-your-while.
Esp for business guests who do not have to go all over to find this to bring back to the OFFICE. We had some sales who brought the choco macadamia nuts every single trip from Maui and sure you can buy them at walmart, but who does? So that was the fun part. They were from there directly.

PS Our local "water" shines all over the country too.
wink_smile.gif

I agree with Mortie that folks really don't want to pay for bottled water at a B&B. Not only because they want water included, but many green inns (and guests) don't want bottled water period.
I've had good success,though, selling imprinted stainless steel water bottles. They also make great promos to include with summer/picnic specials. Guests happily buy them, too, though.
I don't know your sources in the UK but here in the states I've been able go get good quality stainless bottles imprinted with the inn's logo for around $4 a bottle in small orders. They sell well at around $15-20.

I was just having a nice scuppernong wine. I got this in NC and I have bought the grapes once or twice when I saw them for our guests to try. Since they are regional it is a real treat. I once served it to a guest who was a produce mgr from Michigan who was thrilled to try a diff fruit, first I asked her to tell me what a scuppernong was, and she couldn't. They are typically not commercially grown, or if they are it is for grape seed extract.
I mention this as the place I bought this scuppernong wine had their own label put on them, which you can get online all over the place. So I forked over the $9 for this drink to bring home to share.

I agree with Mortie that folks really don't want to pay for bottled water at a B&B. Not only because they want water included, but many green inns (and guests) don't want bottled water period.
I've had good success,though, selling imprinted stainless steel water bottles. They also make great promos to include with summer/picnic specials. Guests happily buy them, too, though.
I don't know your sources in the UK but here in the states I've been able go get good quality stainless bottles imprinted with the inn's logo for around $4 a bottle in small orders. They sell well at around $15-20..
I think Cam's water is 'special'. Kind of like Saratoga Springs. Or like Perrier before they sold it everywhere for a song. With a whole bunch of local stuff in a pkg, like JB said, it might be just a part of the pkg. But, if they can get this water AT the spring/spa and it costs a packet, why not sell it at the inn as well. It's more of a souvenir than a bottle of water to drink off right then.
I brought back a tiny bottle of water from Ireland that WASN'T anything special, it was just from Ireland. I never drank it, it sat on a shelf. It wasn't the water, it was the label. Then again, that was 15 years ago when you only bought bottled water because your own water was unpotable and not because you would die if went 10 feet without water.
wink_smile.gif

So, more of a souvenir sort of thing.

What sells at my inn is LOCAL products or things made in West Virginia. If I could just get my potter working again I could sell a ton of his mugs! They had a simple medallion with my inn nane, a handle a MAN could put his fingers in comfortably, and was signed by him with his city, WV.
Apple butter made by DH's rifle club, local honey, jams, jellies, WV maple syrup, and my association cookbook was a big seller. I am anxiously awaying the new edition. I display it in my "gift shop" (a Hoosier cupboard - Camb, that is a type of antique hutch that was made in Indiana - the Hoosier State) in my dining room. As I serve breakfast, I wave toward the cookbook and say, the recipe is in the book. @ $15 they flew off the shelf!
My guests want something from HERE, not from China or wherever.

What sells at my inn is LOCAL products or things made in West Virginia. If I could just get my potter working again I could sell a ton of his mugs! They had a simple medallion with my inn nane, a handle a MAN could put his fingers in comfortably, and was signed by him with his city, WV.
Apple butter made by DH's rifle club, local honey, jams, jellies, WV maple syrup, and my association cookbook was a big seller. I am anxiously awaying the new edition. I display it in my "gift shop" (a Hoosier cupboard - Camb, that is a type of antique hutch that was made in Indiana - the Hoosier State) in my dining room. As I serve breakfast, I wave toward the cookbook and say, the recipe is in the book. @ $15 they flew off the shelf!
My guests want something from HERE, not from China or wherever..
We have Hoosier neighbors and they explained the term...It's short for, 'Who's yer daddy?' as everyone wants to place your antecedents. Thought that was a neat bit of trivia.

My guests want something from HERE, not from China or wherever..
We have Hoosier neighbors and they explained the term...It's short for, 'Who's yer daddy?' as everyone wants to place your antecedents. Thought that was a neat bit of trivia.
As a Hoosier, both geographically and as a graduate of Indiana University, I had not heard that explanation for the word. Here's a whole article on the multiple derivations. It's a whole lot easier to say than "Indianian"

Bottled water in a package or add on? No way, wouldn't fly. Unless it was titled something snazzy with ALL local Harrogate items and the water was in there as well. I would guess a gift hamper, so the bottle of water could hold up the back with its height.
Now the toffee yes, easy to put in your suitcase or give as a gift. I would go for that, IF you can get it wholesale and make it worth-your-while.
Esp for business guests who do not have to go all over to find this to bring back to the OFFICE. We had some sales who brought the choco macadamia nuts every single trip from Maui and sure you can buy them at walmart, but who does? So that was the fun part. They were from there directly..
I was thinking along the hamper sort of lines ie we have Harrogate water for a package a bottle of each still and sparkling (comes in traditionl glass bottles etc) Harrogate Toffee, Wensleydale Cheese (local speciality) and so on.

I don't know your sources in the UK but here in the states I've been able go get good quality stainless bottles imprinted with the inn's logo for around $4 a bottle in small orders. They sell well at around $15-20..
I think Cam's water is 'special'. Kind of like Saratoga Springs. Or like Perrier before they sold it everywhere for a song. With a whole bunch of local stuff in a pkg, like JB said, it might be just a part of the pkg. But, if they can get this water AT the spring/spa and it costs a packet, why not sell it at the inn as well. It's more of a souvenir than a bottle of water to drink off right then.
I brought back a tiny bottle of water from Ireland that WASN'T anything special, it was just from Ireland. I never drank it, it sat on a shelf. It wasn't the water, it was the label. Then again, that was 15 years ago when you only bought bottled water because your own water was unpotable and not because you would die if went 10 feet without water.
wink_smile.gif

So, more of a souvenir sort of thing.
The water I am going to put in is normal (you pay for the nice packaging really) but we also have local spa water which is sulper and supposed to be really good for you But I wouldn't sell it cos it stinks!!! of rotting eggs!!!

[FONT=&quot]We sell jewelry from a local artist. I have a package where the set is included and the guest gets to pick the set from the gift shop. That has been selling well. I find out the guest's two favorite colors and contact the artist to swap out as necessary.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We also offer gourmet picnics as add on which I pick up the afternoon of check in[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I would check to see what the tourists purchase, and then offer that. Especially if you have any artists in the area.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Riki[/FONT]

Esp for business guests who do not have to go all over to find this to bring back to the OFFICE. We had some sales who brought the choco macadamia nuts every single trip from Maui and sure you can buy them at walmart, but who does? So that was the fun part. They were from there directly..
I was thinking along the hamper sort of lines ie we have Harrogate water for a package a bottle of each still and sparkling (comes in traditionl glass bottles etc) Harrogate Toffee, Wensleydale Cheese (local speciality) and so on.
Wensleydale is your local cheese? I have had that just because Wallace and Gromit like it! (OK, yes, I'm strange...I take cheese suggestions from claymation characters!)

camberly, i would go to the nearest places that sell 'tourist' items and see what sells and then try to sell similar with your own flourish.
and i love the idea of the gift basket in the upgraded rooms (which is really built into the price) with the local goodies.

My biggest seller besides my add-on packages is my little cookbook. I make it myself on the computer and print it up...4x6, postcard front, postcard back, 2 hole punch with a pretty ribbon tying it all together. Labor intensive, but you can make a bunch of them in the off season. They fly out of here!

My biggest seller besides my add-on packages is my little cookbook. I make it myself on the computer and print it up...4x6, postcard front, postcard back, 2 hole punch with a pretty ribbon tying it all together. Labor intensive, but you can make a bunch of them in the off season. They fly out of here!.
they sound cute we don't really cook anything that requires a reciepe though :(

My biggest seller besides my add-on packages is my little cookbook. I make it myself on the computer and print it up...4x6, postcard front, postcard back, 2 hole punch with a pretty ribbon tying it all together. Labor intensive, but you can make a bunch of them in the off season. They fly out of here!.
they sound cute we don't really cook anything that requires a reciepe though :(
That would be so liberating! But that's one of the big differences about staying in B&Bs all over the world. In most other countries you get just the traditional breakfast which is the same everywhere you go. It does get old after a while though. Althugh I must say that especially in the beginning years of being an innkeeper, I really had fun experimenting with new breakfast items. I still do, but I certainly rely more on my old regulars.

I can't believe what I have done. I am now on the watch list at stuffmart after buying 2 cases of wide mouth mason jars. They were for fish, really, truly, they are in my kitchen right now. Good thing I didn't need to buy any sugar...although Yes I am nearly out now...

Back