what should I serve?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine

Reaction score
Ok, for those of you just catching up: I have 3 people coming from MO Division of Tourism and 6 travel writers. I am serving breakfast to them.
I have tenatively made up a menu: But I want to knock their socks off. Here is what I have so far:
Victorian Cream Scones
Cinnamon Rolls (everyone raves over these),
Fresh fruit with an orange honey yogurt sauce served in Pineapple boats
smoked salmon
peach stuffed french toast
asparagus quiche
egg & cheese puff
biscuits & gravy
Bacon and sausage links
assorted juice, coffee & teas
Any other ideas or presentation ideas?
as you can guess, I'm pretty excited about this and VERY NERVOUS.
Thanks so much for all your ideas and suggestions thus far. You guys are awesome and I am blessed to have found this site!

I gained 10 lbs just reading your post
teeth_smile.gif
Sounds yummy!
tounge_smile.gif

Good luck!!

I think you have all your bases covered......like samster said, I too gained just from reading your post
wink_smile.gif

Now is this list a 'normal' breakfast at the B&B? Meaning do you usually have this large variety each morning? Do you normally serve a plated meal or is it buffet?
It is not wrong, mind you, to have a larger variety or to serve in a different method than normal, just make sure you let them all know how it is normally done as you do NOT want a misconseption appearing in any written articles.
I just had a writer contact me again. She did a piece on us 6 years ago and wanted me provide updated photos as she was going to run a 'revised' article in another publication this fall. After running through the previous article, I found many references to things that we have changed. So I quickly emailed her back to make changes. Free publicity is great, as long as it is correct. And this is MVHO!

Congrats on the group!!!
I have never heard of Victorian Cream Scones. What are they? Do you put anything special on them?
It all sounds delicious!!!
Good luck.
One more thing: Where are you located?

Serving a variety of foods you do for breakfast is an excellent idea - as long as you make it clear you are providing a variety to show what may be on the menu for breakfast for them to sample. DO not serve anything that you would not do otherwise.
What i meant by knock their socks off was your best breakfast - variety is even better though as long as they know it is not the norm. You could provide some printed samples of a typical breakfast for them to take with them (incorporate each item served in one of the various menus)
My knock their socks off includes English muffin bread - oven to table and each guest gets their own loaf (steak knife tucked under the bread plate to cut it). When guests say they do not each need a loaf I tell them I do not want to be responsible for bloodshed.

Now is this list a 'normal' breakfast at the B&B? Meaning do you usually have this large variety each morning? Do you normally serve a plated meal or is it buffet?
It is not wrong, mind you, to have a larger variety or to serve in a different method than normal, just make sure you let them all know how it is normally done as you do NOT want a misconseption appearing in any written articles.
I just had a writer contact me again. She did a piece on us 6 years ago and wanted me provide updated photos as she was going to run a 'revised' article in another publication this fall. After running through the previous article, I found many references to things that we have changed. So I quickly emailed her back to make changes. Free publicity is great, as long as it is correct. And this is MVHO!.
good point. I do searve fruit every morning and try to make it a nice presentation. Also bacon and sausage is standard and so are the eggs whether in a puff, quiche or scrambled, and some kind of bread. I frequently do cinnamon rolls and usually serve them in the afternoon or evening and if there are leftovers I set them out for breakfast even if I already have something bready. folks always ask for them anyway ("got any of those cinn rolls left?"). Then I will usually have one main thing like the french toast, or biscuits and gravy, or salmon. Of course there will be condiments to go with them as well, ie, homemade jams, apple butter and sauces.
Since I couldn't make up my mind what to serve I figure I'll do all the above. I am thinking of putting the pineapple boats at each place setting as well as the Victorian Scones (I'll post the recipe in a minute), and putting everything else out on the buffet. That way folks can pick and choose incase they don't want something (like the salmon). my next challenge will be figuring out how to make it all fit on the buffet! lol.
I do plan on telling them what my 'normal' breakfast is like but that I wanted them to be able to sample some of the other things I serve as well.

Congrats on the group!!!
I have never heard of Victorian Cream Scones. What are they? Do you put anything special on them?
It all sounds delicious!!!
Good luck.
One more thing: Where are you located?.
we are located in MO. I will send a seperate post on the recipe. :)

Wow! What a spread! Sounds wonderful!
I'd probably delete some (biscuits and gravy, egg & cheese puff), but that's because it's hard enough for me to get things done on time, and you're talking a LOT of food!
What are pineapple boats?
=)
Kk.

Wow, I'm going to apply for a job in MO at the tourism assoc!

I'd probably delete some (biscuits and gravy, egg & cheese puff), but that's because it's hard enough for me to get things done on time, and you're talking a LOT of food!
=)
Kk..
Simple Pineapple Boats
1 medium pineapple
Fresh raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, halved seedless red or green grapes and or sliced strawberries (or any seasonal fruits)
Orange honey yogurt sauce (optional; recipe below)
Use a sharp knife to quarter the fresh pineapple lengthwise leaving crown intact. Remove core from each pineapple quarter.
use the knife to loosen fruit from peel. slice fruit crosswise into 1/4 slices alternately slide pineapple slices out in opposite directions. garnish each with the fresh fruit. Serve with or drizzle orange honey yogurt sauce (optional)
Orange-Honey Yogurt Sauce:
In a small bowl, combine one 6 -8 ounce carton vanilla lowfat yogurt, 1 tablespoon honey, 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel or 1/4 teaspoon dried orange zest, (in a pinch I have used 1 tablespoon frozen concentrate orange juice and this works too) and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla. transfer sauce to a serving bowl. cover and chill for at least 30 minutes (can make day ahead). mkes 1 1/4 c.

Wow, I'm going to apply for a job in MO at the tourism assoc!.
yeah, I was told this was a pretty 'comfy' trip as they are staying at high end places and they are not staying at CI or HI or S8's.

=)
Kk..
Simple Pineapple Boats
1 medium pineapple
Fresh raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, halved seedless red or green grapes and or sliced strawberries (or any seasonal fruits)
Use a sharp knife to quarter the fresh pineapple lengthwise leaving crown intact. Remove core from each pineapple quarter.
use the knife to loosen fruit from peel. slice fruit crosswise into 1/4 slices alternately slide pineapple slices out in opposite directions. garnish each with the fresh fruit. Serve with or drizzle orange honey yogurt sauce (optional)
In a small bowl, combine one 6 -8 ounce carton vanilla lowfat yogurt, 1 tablespoon honey, 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel or 1/4 teaspoon dried orange zest, (in a pinch I have used 1 tablespoon frozen concentrate orange juice and this works too) and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla. transfer sauce to a serving bowl. cover and chill for at least 30 minutes (can make day ahead). mkes 1 1/4 c.
Wow! That seems fabulous! Next time you make one, take a picture and post it!
=)
Kk.

all that food!
i would suggest (in your 'spare' time) you definitely print up little menus - bear with me here. on card stock if you have some. and you put your b&b name etc at the top and then write something like '' presented today are a sampling of our featured breakfast and snack items " and then you list them
and in that list include 'the XXX inn cinammon rolls - our guests rave other these! we often serve them as an afternoon snack.'
this way, you are letting them sample your very best and letting them know you don't put out the WHOLE spread each morning.
sounds soooo good.
best of luck with this.

all that food!
i would suggest (in your 'spare' time) you definitely print up little menus - bear with me here. on card stock if you have some. and you put your b&b name etc at the top and then write something like '' presented today are a sampling of our featured breakfast and snack items " and then you list them
and in that list include 'the XXX inn cinammon rolls - our guests rave other these! we often serve them as an afternoon snack.'
this way, you are letting them sample your very best and letting them know you don't put out the WHOLE spread each morning.
sounds soooo good.
best of luck with this..
The menus with the inn name (and all the other pertinent info) is a great idea. VERY important is that these travel writers do not leave and write up the wonderful '16 course' breakfast as standard fare! The inn should definitely make it clear that this is just a sample of the different items available over the course of a 4-5 day stay.

=)
Kk..
Simple Pineapple Boats
1 medium pineapple
So each guest gets 1/4 of the pineapple? That sounds like a great presentation. I will do fresh pineapple spears & slices into the spears & put kiwi slices in them and then garnish with a fresh strawberry salsa & maybe a dab of vanilla yogurt. I call them pineapple boats too - I guess they're "mini boats" since I can get eight out of one pineapple
teeth_smile.gif

all that food!
sounds soooo good.
best of luck with this..
WOW, Great idea! Thanks. You guys are so great. again I feel so blessed to have found this forum!

Back