What the business traveler wants

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
Here is a link to the article.
Here is one of the items that struck me.
2. Better than clean and comfy: are you satisfied with a clean room and a comfortable bed? Well, you're probably alone. Deloitte found that 65 percent of business travelers "expect a lot more from a hotel" than that.
What is 'a lot more'? The article states internet access, free parking and a workspace in the room. Biz travelers not so much interested in loyalty points (if they're making over $150k) but they want smartphone apps to make reservations.
What else? All of us provide the things above (maybe not the spartphone app, but online booking, just not one-stop online booking) so what else are they looking for in that statement that says clean and comfortable isn't enough?

As a place that caters to probably 80% business people/non holiday people they want places to plug things in easily (this was discussed on another thread) flexible check in time (within reason because they travel more they seem a bit more sensible) or as an alternative just to be able to leave bags (before and after check out) if they don't come in a car (a lot of ours come on the train) I would also say good local knowledge on places to eat but not in an in your face way (ie maybe a fact sheet in the room) and they usually don't want too much fuss made over them if they travel a lot as they do it all the time it is not new and novel.

As a place that caters to probably 80% business people/non holiday people they want places to plug things in easily (this was discussed on another thread) flexible check in time (within reason because they travel more they seem a bit more sensible) or as an alternative just to be able to leave bags (before and after check out) if they don't come in a car (a lot of ours come on the train) I would also say good local knowledge on places to eat but not in an in your face way (ie maybe a fact sheet in the room) and they usually don't want too much fuss made over them if they travel a lot as they do it all the time it is not new and novel..
That's a good summation of what the biz person is looking for.
How about: laundry services, dry cleaning, 'office equipment'? Do any of you get travelers who are looking for a business center to do printing?

As a place that caters to probably 80% business people/non holiday people they want places to plug things in easily (this was discussed on another thread) flexible check in time (within reason because they travel more they seem a bit more sensible) or as an alternative just to be able to leave bags (before and after check out) if they don't come in a car (a lot of ours come on the train) I would also say good local knowledge on places to eat but not in an in your face way (ie maybe a fact sheet in the room) and they usually don't want too much fuss made over them if they travel a lot as they do it all the time it is not new and novel..
How about: laundry services, dry cleaning, 'office equipment'? Do any of you get travelers who are looking for a business center to do printing?
we had some chaps with us for 3 months and they never asked for laundry (but we do have a laundrette 8mins away) but I saw a receipt for what they were charging him and offered to do it for half the price and it was a nice bit of money. now and again I print things but I can count the times on one hand. One couple asked me where they could print something and then have it laminated and I did it for them and they gave me a free "baggee" which their invention and holds carrier bags so you re use them at the shop. I wouldn't buy anything especially unless you seem to get a lot of demand for it. I would ring local big hotels and just ask what they charge for printing to get an idea of pricing. We charge about 12 cents a sheet. We also send faxes on request or receive them.

Where did you find the raw data? I only saw the 5 items they talked about and then responses. Did I miss a link somewhere?

I have had an extensive number of business travelers with only a very few (under a dozen) ask about laundry services, even fewer ask about dry cleaning. Office equipment is a different matter: Copies - yes several times, but never asked as a condition of making a reservation, only a need after being here, same for fax or computer use.
I think most savy business travelers have learned that having copies made at hotels is expensive with many opting to go to Office Depot or other known store to have their copies made or do it themselves. This was a question brought up in our local accommodations association and most have done away with a business center (if they had one) and the requests for copies have drasticly reduced over the last few years.

Where did you find the raw data? I only saw the 5 items they talked about and then responses. Did I miss a link somewhere?.
The 3rd paragraph states the survey of 1001, then under #5 "Devise love" they state the other info - it is just worded differently. As I said, the writer can word things to make you think what ever they want... My #'s may not be excact, just use their wording to create aprox. numbers.

I found several things interesting in this survey. Like any survey, the results can be twisted to make you think anyway the writer wants you to think. One example is the survey results regarding the mobile applications. Here is a quote from the article:
"Beyond traditional incentives, hotels are realizing the importance of developing their online presence, particularly with mobile platforms, to capitalize on a crucial touch point for brand communication." (I made the section bold to add emphasis)
But when you take the breakdown of the survey - here are the real results..... (edited to say, results based on what the survey stated)
The survey questioned 1001 bus. travelers,
'almost half' have a smart phone - 500
(edited to add: of those)
26% have downloaded a hotel app. - 260
54% of those use it to book a room - 140
So about 15% of those surveyed use the Smartphone app to book rooms. I do see this trend increasing but it is not 'there' yet!

We have a fair amount of biz travelers here, and we've learned to be flexible not only on check-in time, but also on the cancellation policy. Sometimes things just happen and we just can't be enforcing the lost-deposit clause. Does it mean that once in awhile we lose that money? Yeah, probably. But by enforcing it would we drive them back to hotels? You bet.
Also early breakfast. A lot of of our biz travelers would be at perfectly fine hotels if they couldn't get an early breakfast here, and we have chosen to cater to them for the mid-week business.
Fast WiFi is a given. Desks are important for some, not an issue with others.
For some, conversation and social time with us and other guests in the early evening is important....for others, not a bit. Just like with any other segment of the traveling public.
The only time I've had someone ask for a dry cleaner was when the airline dumped their baggage in a pool of jet fuel (or at least that's what it smelled like). I have stored A/V equipment over the weekend, though, so folks didnt have to lug it back and forth.

Unless you are truly dedicating your B &B to business travelers, there is only so much a small B &B can do. Don't try to compete with hotels and try to be something you cannot be. Be yourself.

I found several things interesting in this survey. Like any survey, the results can be twisted to make you think anyway the writer wants you to think. One example is the survey results regarding the mobile applications. Here is a quote from the article:
"Beyond traditional incentives, hotels are realizing the importance of developing their online presence, particularly with mobile platforms, to capitalize on a crucial touch point for brand communication." (I made the section bold to add emphasis)
But when you take the breakdown of the survey - here are the real results..... (edited to say, results based on what the survey stated)
The survey questioned 1001 bus. travelers,
'almost half' have a smart phone - 500
(edited to add: of those)
26% have downloaded a hotel app. - 260
54% of those use it to book a room - 140
So about 15% of those surveyed use the Smartphone app to book rooms. I do see this trend increasing but it is not 'there' yet!.
Interesting note: According to B&B.com's webinar today which included a sum up of 1-3 quarter survey results, aprox. 30% of guests (that completed the survey) have a Smart phone. This was an increase of 8.7% from last years results....

Unless you are truly dedicating your B &B to business travelers, there is only so much a small B &B can do. Don't try to compete with hotels and try to be something you cannot be. Be yourself..
I think that's good advice, Catlady. Like with everything else talked about on this forum, I do think it's important to think about what makes sense to you....your area, your potential clientele, your energy level and tolerance for the unexpected, etc, etc,

Back