What the heck is Twitter?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkarennj

Reaction score
Some of you have probably heard the word "Twitter" sometime in the past 12 months. You might not have taken the time to learn what it is. It's a social networking tool that is pretty interesting.
I know...I know...some of you are thinking, "Jeez! ANOTHER thing for me to think about or know about." It's not something that necessarily impacts your daily lives as innkeepers, but...if you're interested in quickly learning what it's all about, I encourage you to check this out, which I came across today.
You may never get on Twitter, but you very well may have guests who do. You may hear it mentioned over breakfast or in the halls. Wouldn't it be great if you could relate to your guests by knowing what Twitter is? Heck, some of you might even sign up for your very own Twitter account!
emoticon_smile.gif

Just a little Friday afternoon tid-bit for you all. I hope you're having a wonderful day...only 7 days until spring, and 17 days until the opening of The Innkeeping Show!
Jay

Spring has sprung here, Jay :) Yep, Twitter...thanks for the info. I can't keep up with all these social networks, plus the local ones that I'm on...our C&VB network, InTown network, plus the other ones.
Back to weeding in the beautiful sunny afternoon down South.....

This post about Twitter for B&B's appeared on our Blogs to INNspire list today.
These things (Twitter and Facebook...) can just suck a whole lot of time our of your day. .... oh wait, so can this forum ;)
Its all a question of how much time you sink into the Blabosphere and how much you truly get back out of it. We are becoming a nation of blabbers and we stopped being doers. My theory for the world economic situation ..too many people are blabbing when they are supposed to be working
tounge_smile.gif

Everyone wants to have their own inner monologue like Cary Bradshaw in Sex in the City and I think Twitter fills that role.

This post about Twitter for B&B's appeared on our Blogs to INNspire list today.
These things (Twitter and Facebook...) can just suck a whole lot of time our of your day. .... oh wait, so can this forum ;)
Its all a question of how much time you sink into the Blabosphere and how much you truly get back out of it. We are becoming a nation of blabbers and we stopped being doers. My theory for the world economic situation ..too many people are blabbing when they are supposed to be working
tounge_smile.gif

Everyone wants to have their own inner monologue like Cary Bradshaw in Sex in the City and I think Twitter fills that role..
I LOVE that...."blabosphere"!! haha! Just had a call today from someone wanting to link up with us for an event & I had not met him before in person, although he's on our C&VB social network and we are "friends" because we have a friend in common. He said and I quote, "Nobody talks to each other anymore, they rely too much on these dang social networks! Half the time they don't even shoot you an email." OK, just so you know....this is a young man talking here
wink_smile.gif

Yeah, I jump on here when I take a breather to sit down for a moment and probably could spend less time here....
I do more than my fair share of blabbing. lol!

I believe I read or heard somewhere that you can somehow connect your facebook page to a twitter feed. Does anyone know anymore about that? I wouldn't mind doing both if I could figure out an efficient way of doing it.

Spring has sprung here, Jay :) Yep, Twitter...thanks for the info. I can't keep up with all these social networks, plus the local ones that I'm on...our C&VB network, InTown network, plus the other ones.
Back to weeding in the beautiful sunny afternoon down South......
Ok so I finally sucumb and got sucked into Twitter. NOW WHAT??? Actually I did find my newphew first thing and a cousin I haven't seen since he was a baby. So how do I let them know I found them??? One I did find an email via his blog ..the other I can't tell what to do??? Oh well. I don't think I will spend much time there. NOt really me...

I believe I read or heard somewhere that you can somehow connect your facebook page to a twitter feed. Does anyone know anymore about that? I wouldn't mind doing both if I could figure out an efficient way of doing it..
I think is the facebook app that will take your facebook feed and dump it to twitter.

I believe I read or heard somewhere that you can somehow connect your facebook page to a twitter feed. Does anyone know anymore about that? I wouldn't mind doing both if I could figure out an efficient way of doing it..
I think is the facebook app that will take your facebook feed and dump it to twitter.
Would that mean that anything on your FB wall would get dumped to Twitter? Or just what you put up there yourself?

Would that mean that anything on your FB wall would get dumped to Twitter? Or just what you put up there yourself?
Not sure, but my guess would be that it would only be your status updates. I don't think it would include other people's posts to your wall. Just guessing though as I haven't used it.

Not sure, but my guess would be that it would only be your status updates. I don't think it would include other people's posts to your wall. Just guessing though as I haven't used it.
So far, in exploring that application and testing it, it only seems to work one way - Twitter to Facebook, not the other way around. There is an app, twitterfeed, that feeds your blog posts to twitter. Maybe I can figure out how to feed blog posts to FB. I just really want to post something once and have it show up on all three.
ETA: when I add the twitter application to my FB account, I get an error - Status: 500 Internal Server Error Content-Type: text/html. I think that can't be good.

So far, in exploring that application and testing it, it only seems to work one way - Twitter to Facebook, not the other way around. There is an app, twitterfeed, that feeds your blog posts to twitter. Maybe I can figure out how to feed blog posts to FB. I just really want to post something once and have it show up on all three.
ETA: when I add the twitter application to my FB account, I get an error - Status: 500 Internal Server Error Content-Type: text/html. I think that can't be good.
How can you feed a blogpost to Twitter? Twitter is supposed to be 140 characters of text.
Does it go to your FB wall or to your inn page on FB? That would work for me. I suppose you set up your FB page as a follower on Twitter?

How can you feed a blogpost to Twitter? Twitter is supposed to be 140 characters of text.
Does it go to your FB wall or to your inn page on FB? That would work for me. I suppose you set up your FB page as a follower on Twitter?
I think it would look something like
"So and so just finished an article about blah blah on www,SoandSoBlog.com"

Don't know about the first one yet - haven't tried it.
I have just been investigating ping.fm which posts to multiple social media outlets. RIght now it goes to the profile page but I notice several people have asked to have updates go to business pages. Hopefully they will add that.
There is a desperate need for one place to update everything, isnt' there?

swirt said:
Gotcha. Just an announcement then, not the whole blog. That works, too.

I just step up fb2twitter and it was easy. This application allows the status updates that I put into facebook for what I am doing to transfer over to twitter. Twitter will then text message all my friends a cell phones and let them know what I am up to. It doesn't take the posts that people put on my wall in face book though so it is just what I update my status to.

Back