What they said when they walked away

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
OK, guests from poll who didnt book...when they left I looked out the window and saw them pacing up and down the hill by my front door. There are also stairs right there. The reason they gave for not booking was that their suitcases were too heavy to go up the stairs or up the hill. We could have helped them but I think hubs gets exasperated when healthy-looking adults complain about stairs.

Bree, I really don't know why they didn't book.
But, I 'm a tall, stocky, athletic looking girl (40-50 years old). I run, ride my bike, clean 4 rooms, etc.
BUT, I can't and never will pick up heavy stuff (had spinal fusion). IF I do, I'm in bed for two days.
So, maybe if they look like they can pick up a sBUT, I can do everything else!! just not heavy things.

why can't guests say 'is there someone that can help me get my bags from the car?' they don't have to give a reason. i get asked all the time and i lug the stuff in. i assume they need the help. sometimes i feel that twinge of irritation so hopefully it's not just that they don't want to carry their stuff.

why can't guests say 'is there someone that can help me get my bags from the car?' they don't have to give a reason. i get asked all the time and i lug the stuff in. i assume they need the help. sometimes i feel that twinge of irritation so hopefully it's not just that they don't want to carry their stuff..
I will take whatever I can to help them upstairs. Hubby takes the rest.
But, the point was that you sometimes have very healthy looking guests who can't carry heavy suitcases upstairs.
For me, it's very embarassing -- I will go grocery shopping, push the cart with 10 bags in it to the car with no problem whatsoever, and then have to wait for someone to put the bags in the car.

why can't guests say 'is there someone that can help me get my bags from the car?' they don't have to give a reason. i get asked all the time and i lug the stuff in. i assume they need the help. sometimes i feel that twinge of irritation so hopefully it's not just that they don't want to carry their stuff..
I think part of it was the whinging about 'how heavy' the suitcases were. Who the heck hauled them out of the house and put them in the car? If you can't pick the suitcase up, it is too heavy. Repack. Bring 2 suitcases instead of one (they were driving, not flying).
And, yes, I have hauled women's suitcases up the stairs while their husbands stood looking at their own suitcases and back to me. Yeah, right, buddy. You want me to haul that suitcase, you're gonna have to ask me. One time I had 3 women with heavy suitcases look at the stairs and converse to each other in Italian and look back at the stairs. I knew what they were saying and said, 'Watch this,' and I rang the bell. Hubs came out and I pointed and said, 'Husband.' They ladies clapped. Thank goodness he CAN take the bags up or we'd be in a pickle!
But when they won't even ROLL the suitcase up to the house, puhleeze. First floor room. They had a total of 3 steps and then they could roll the suitcases thru the house. They needed a hotel.

I will take whatever I can to help them upstairs. Hubby takes the rest.
But, the point was that you sometimes have very healthy looking guests who can't carry heavy suitcases upstairs.
For me, it's very embarassing -- I will go grocery shopping, push the cart with 10 bags in it to the car with no problem whatsoever, and then have to wait for someone to put the bags in the car.
See, that's where just asking goes a long way. Whinging about how heavy the suitcases are without actually asking for help seems more like they want to complain about their own ineptitude in packing than trying to get someone to offer to take the suitcases in.
I pulled something in my back about 20 years ago so badly I remember it. I couldn't reach into the bottom of the grocery cart to get the last things out. I just asked for help. I had to put the bags on the seat in the car so I didn't have to bend down to pick them up. So I get being healthy-looking but not able to do a task. I had to ask them to not overload the bags. They looked at me and I said, 'I can't pick them up, I can barely lean over.'

I think part of it was the whinging about 'how heavy' the suitcases were. Who the heck hauled them out of the house and put them in the car? If you can't pick the suitcase up, it is too heavy. Repack. Bring 2 suitcases instead of one (they were driving, not flying).
And, yes, I have hauled women's suitcases up the stairs while their husbands stood looking at their own suitcases and back to me. Yeah, right, buddy. You want me to haul that suitcase, you're gonna have to ask me. One time I had 3 women with heavy suitcases look at the stairs and converse to each other in Italian and look back at the stairs. I knew what they were saying and said, 'Watch this,' and I rang the bell. Hubs came out and I pointed and said, 'Husband.' They ladies clapped. Thank goodness he CAN take the bags up or we'd be in a pickle!
But when they won't even ROLL the suitcase up to the house, puhleeze. First floor room. They had a total of 3 steps and then they could roll the suitcases thru the house. They needed a hotel.
lol!! well that's whole different story when they won't even ROLL the suitcases up the the house!
I don't ROLL. A laptop upstairs, no problem. Anything heavier, they're on their own.
BUT, hubby DOES bring heavy suitcases upstairs, and he's worse off than me. I guess it's mind over matter.
But, if you can't do it, just please ask. And if you CAN do it, don't ask!

People really need to pay attention to their luggage. I have a rule that I have to be able to pick up my own bags and move them. If I can't pick up a bag then I can't take it ... or can't take so much. Why do people think someone else should do it for them?? I'm little - just 5 ft. and I do not have a lot of upper body strength. I might end up with a couple of smaller suitcases instead of one big one but I have to be able to handle them. I've done lots of travelling on my own and simply must be able to take care of my own stuff. Too bad everybody didn't think that way.

Why do people need to bring so much stuff with them when they travel? We went to Europe for six weeks each carrying only a 21" roller-bag. You do laundry if you're going to be out for more than a week. It's not like the rest of the world doesn't wash clothes.
If people are just coming for the weekend, then it can and should be even less. Messing with many pieces of heavy luggage has ruined more trips than not.

I had a solo female guest REALLY struggling with her suitcase to the point that I offered to take it, even though she looks as fit as I am. It was HEAVY beyond heavy. I could barely get it into her room--on the ground floor yet! She said her son carried it out to the car for her when she left home.
Next day she mentions she packed some of her "meditation rocks" and indicated with her hands how big they are. If they were rounder they could be bowling balls. Plural.
Maybe she should have meditated on the logistics of travel before packing her suitcase full of bowling balls .

I had a solo female guest REALLY struggling with her suitcase to the point that I offered to take it, even though she looks as fit as I am. It was HEAVY beyond heavy. I could barely get it into her room--on the ground floor yet! She said her son carried it out to the car for her when she left home.
Next day she mentions she packed some of her "meditation rocks" and indicated with her hands how big they are. If they were rounder they could be bowling balls. Plural.
Maybe she should have meditated on the logistics of travel before packing her suitcase full of bowling balls ..
happyjacks said:
Maybe she should have meditated on the logistics of travel before packing her suitcase full of bowling balls .
Oh my! LMAO
teeth_smile.gif

Maybe she should have meditated on the logistics of travel before packing her suitcase full of bowling balls ..
happyjacks said:
Maybe it was her dead dismembered husband that she liked to carry with her where ever she goes. What. It could happen.

happyjacks said:
Maybe it was her dead dismembered husband that she liked to carry with her where ever she goes. What. It could happen.
>>Maybe it was her dead dismembered husband that she liked to carry with her where ever she goes. What. It could happen.
Yeessss, it cooooould....
devil_smile.gif

HA!

Back