what time do you start making noise?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somewhere in Paradise

Reaction score
what time you guys try to stay quiet until? I try for the sake of guests that want to sleep in, but work needs to get done. What do you consider appropriate? for laundry, cleaning of rooms, etc.

We start about 9-9:30 to clean guest rooms. Our laundry room is well away from the guest areas so that can go on at any time. The parlors and diningroom can be done anytime... the sound doesn't travel into the guest rooms either.

I start making noise about a half hour before the first guests are due down for breakfast. Right now, I'm clanking around for someone that has 8 o'clock scheduled. (Biz guest) He has an appointment at 9. If I don't hear the shower, I'll go knock on his door soon.
regular_smile.gif
He was afraid that he'd oversleep from the travel.
Folks in our other house have it too quiet. We've had to go over there and make noise too. haha!
Edited to add: Both are houses are very quiet and folks say the beds are too comfortable!

Good timing on this thread, I was about to gripe on another or an old one.
Guests complained about another guest - who was on his cell phone at 6am.
(Uh not my problem)
They said "When you have that you should move guests to another room." WHAT THE? If someone has a cell phone? One half the party are currently on wifi in the dining room making racket.
Interesting as they are the same guests who are here from o/s who have luggage - two of them over 85 lbs, and other bags. For those who think I AM going to carry an 85 lb bag of these stairs - think again, why would I injure MY back when this man can carry them, AND they packed the bloody things! Anyway, I offered to carry ancillary stuff up the stairs. Once he got up there he plopped them down BANG and then dragged them across gouging the hard wood and collecting all the rugs along the way, TWICE.
He just now is loading them back into their car after doing the same thing coming DOWN the stairs.
When wi-fi was mentioned I said we have a password and pointed to it in the room, he said "Why do you have that? No other place has that!"
Oh brother. So on the OCT wears me out thread - here here. I wear very thin this month. A couple more weeks to go and then it is all over.

PS Nutty Professor had breakfast on the table at 8am this morning, fyi, instead of 7am which he never shows for. I got to sleep in an extra hour. I was up at 6am for breakfast prev two mornings.
oh here comes the other bag....grin and bear it grin and bear it JBJ!!!!
For those who are IN their family home or renovated from scratch, I SIMPLY could not have guests in my home. NOPE.

As far as cleaning, etc, my welcome note states that cleaning is done from 9 AM to 1 PM. I do NOT keep quiet for guests who are sleeping in. I do wait until 11 to start the wash in the hopes all the showers are done with at that point. Vacuuming happens.

some guests try to be very quiet for others ... some will bang their luggage down the stairs and out the door at 6 am. inconsiderate!
i start 'rattling my pots and pans' around 7. i try to set up everything, even the pans i'll be cooking with, the night before. because, the quieter i'd try to be getting things out .. the more i was sure to drop a whole handful of pan covers. at 8 am, i open the door to the breakfast room, the radio is on playing jazz or old time radio, and follks are usually h.u.n.g.r.y. sometimes, a few guests have been in the library a while having coffee and watching the weather or the news.
i clean between 11 and 3, but if a guest has already gone and i can slip into their room to strip it down, i'll do that. it takes me til 11 to recover from breakfast and checkouts. i don't turn on the vacume until all have had breakfast and check outs have departed or i won't HEAR guests who are looking for me.

I wait until everyone is out for the day. My third room last night stripped her bed and brought everything down (she usually does that) - State worker who has become a good friend.
We only vac when all are out. Laundry can be done any time but I won't do it shower time because I do not know how it would affect the water upstairs (I am downstairs and can't check it).

We have a sign in each room and on the balcony "Quiet hours between 10PM and 8AM, please be considerate of other guests." So my quiet hours are the same.
I do not start heavy cleaning in the common areas until after breakfast is over - 10:30 to 11AM usually. Laundry can be done anytime as it is not in an area that could be heard in guest rooms. I usually do not start cleaning guest rooms until checkout (12Noon) but if guests have checked out early and time permits, I will slip in and strip the room, leaving the cleaning for later.
Several posters commented here about making noise to wake guests...I don't do this intentionally but do not tip-toe around either after 8AM. (my breakfast hours start at 7:30 weekdays, 8:30 wknds). I will mention a B&B we stayed at this past spring. The innkeeper had a player piano in his lovely old home and at 8AM sharp, he started his wakeup call...his player piano which could be heard in every room, no sleeping in & missing breakfast there.....

We have a sign in each room and on the balcony "Quiet hours between 10PM and 8AM, please be considerate of other guests." So my quiet hours are the same.
I do not start heavy cleaning in the common areas until after breakfast is over - 10:30 to 11AM usually. Laundry can be done anytime as it is not in an area that could be heard in guest rooms. I usually do not start cleaning guest rooms until checkout (12Noon) but if guests have checked out early and time permits, I will slip in and strip the room, leaving the cleaning for later.
Several posters commented here about making noise to wake guests...I don't do this intentionally but do not tip-toe around either after 8AM. (my breakfast hours start at 7:30 weekdays, 8:30 wknds). I will mention a B&B we stayed at this past spring. The innkeeper had a player piano in his lovely old home and at 8AM sharp, he started his wakeup call...his player piano which could be heard in every room, no sleeping in & missing breakfast there......
Our guests are in a separate part of the house, actually our B&B is 2 houses joined together. The original Weeks family house (popular name in our area) and Ada and Ben Weeks. Grandparents of Gary Weeks of the 60's duo Gary and Dave. Our house has some interesting history.
The only noise they might here is the central vaccuum and we never do that until they have all left for the day. So far we haven't had any noise complaints from our guests.
SherryCa
www.adabenweekshouse.webs.com

want to mention, we had a guest who decided to take a nap at noon ... i was as quiet as i could be around his room and left the hallway outside his door alone, but the cleaning had to be done and i went into the room across the hall, closed the door, and did it. his wife said 'do you have to vacume now?' i told her i was sorry, but yes, the inn had to be cleaned at that time and that i was being as quiet as i could. he didn't feel well but (thankfully) slept right through whatever noise i made.

want to mention, we had a guest who decided to take a nap at noon ... i was as quiet as i could be around his room and left the hallway outside his door alone, but the cleaning had to be done and i went into the room across the hall, closed the door, and did it. his wife said 'do you have to vacume now?' i told her i was sorry, but yes, the inn had to be cleaned at that time and that i was being as quiet as i could. he didn't feel well but (thankfully) slept right through whatever noise i made..
seashanty said:
want to mention, we had a guest who decided to take a nap at noon ... i was as quiet as i could be around his room and left the hallway outside his door alone, but the cleaning had to be done and i went into the room across the hall, closed the door, and did it. his wife said 'do you have to vacume now?' i told her i was sorry, but yes, the inn had to be cleaned at that time and that i was being as quiet as i could. he didn't feel well but (thankfully) slept right through whatever noise i made.
I have stayed at MANY hotels where they are cleaning and yacking in non english over the sound of a vacuum cleaner at 7am in the hallways! Last time is was on Hilton Head Island, SC - we were there for a week, so figured they would not do this EVERY morning. EVERY MORNING. Day four we went out there and said GO! GO!!!
Noon is noon, vacuum all you want to.
regular_smile.gif

Good timing on this thread, I was about to gripe on another or an old one.
Guests complained about another guest - who was on his cell phone at 6am.
(Uh not my problem)
They said "When you have that you should move guests to another room." WHAT THE? If someone has a cell phone? One half the party are currently on wifi in the dining room making racket.
Interesting as they are the same guests who are here from o/s who have luggage - two of them over 85 lbs, and other bags. For those who think I AM going to carry an 85 lb bag of these stairs - think again, why would I injure MY back when this man can carry them, AND they packed the bloody things! Anyway, I offered to carry ancillary stuff up the stairs. Once he got up there he plopped them down BANG and then dragged them across gouging the hard wood and collecting all the rugs along the way, TWICE.
He just now is loading them back into their car after doing the same thing coming DOWN the stairs.
When wi-fi was mentioned I said we have a password and pointed to it in the room, he said "Why do you have that? No other place has that!"
Oh brother. So on the OCT wears me out thread - here here. I wear very thin this month. A couple more weeks to go and then it is all over..
We are lucky in that our B & B was built in 1920 and has plaster walls. There are also buffers of either closets or bathrooms between rooms so the only time you can hear a sound from the guest rooms is if you are standing in the hallway. Our guest rooms are the four corners on the second floor.
We do have one bathroom that is outside the guest room. Many times people will slam the door when going into the bathroom rather than turn the door knob. Totally oblivious to other guests that may be sleeping.

As far as cleaning, etc, my welcome note states that cleaning is done from 9 AM to 1 PM. I do NOT keep quiet for guests who are sleeping in. I do wait until 11 to start the wash in the hopes all the showers are done with at that point. Vacuuming happens..
I am amazed that you could start cleaning at 9 am what with sending guests on their way, ending breakfast service, etc. It would never happen here.

As far as cleaning, etc, my welcome note states that cleaning is done from 9 AM to 1 PM. I do NOT keep quiet for guests who are sleeping in. I do wait until 11 to start the wash in the hopes all the showers are done with at that point. Vacuuming happens..
I am amazed that you could start cleaning at 9 am what with sending guests on their way, ending breakfast service, etc. It would never happen here.
Samster said:
Impossible for me to start even if they check out at 9am I still have the table to clear up and sort out.

Back