What to do about HUGE furnature.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Camb

Reaction score
I have two rooms with 4 poster beds and 1 with a half tester bed in. The 2 four poster ones really do need new carpets but I have been putting this off a bit as I don't know how these beasts come apart. Plus am worried about getting them back together again afterwards. So what do others suggest about it can we organise our people to lift it while the carpet men slide it underneath? ta.

I'm not thinking it is that easy. Is this wall to wall or an area carpet? If it's an area carpet it might work, but wall to wall needs to be stretched so it doesn't buckle up in the middle.

I'm not thinking it is that easy. Is this wall to wall or an area carpet? If it's an area carpet it might work, but wall to wall needs to be stretched so it doesn't buckle up in the middle..
Wall to wall. I had them do round a huge wardrobe once and they did one side of the room then lifted it onto it then did the other side. The weight of the wardrobe kept the first bit tight which helped. So I am hopeful. The one in room 10 was bought by us so I know it must come to bits (ie we brought it in in bits) but the other one I havn't the faintest idea where to start.

I'm not thinking it is that easy. Is this wall to wall or an area carpet? If it's an area carpet it might work, but wall to wall needs to be stretched so it doesn't buckle up in the middle..
Wall to wall. I had them do round a huge wardrobe once and they did one side of the room then lifted it onto it then did the other side. The weight of the wardrobe kept the first bit tight which helped. So I am hopeful. The one in room 10 was bought by us so I know it must come to bits (ie we brought it in in bits) but the other one I havn't the faintest idea where to start.
Can you take a pic of it and post it so we have an idea what it looks like? I have a four poster bed and I take the testers off the top (they pop off, they are not nailed or glued on) and unscrew the side rails from the foot and the head of the bed. (Look for little medallions at the foot and the head, those hide the screws.) Then I am left with the headboard with 2 posts, the footboard with the other 2 posts, the 2 side rails and the 4 testers and the 6 wooden slats that hold the boxspring up. Nice little pile.
If it is one of those HUGE 'Henry VIII' types of 4-poster bed, the top generally just lifts off, but there may be a screw of two holding it in place.

You will have to remove the bed/furniture for the carpet layers.

We had this problem right up until this spring, when I pulled all the extra huge room size rugs and carpets out. The 100 year old hardwood floors are more attractive and easier to keep clean anyway.

Carpet needs to be pulled tight when installed, have you ever seen it? They have those knee knocker things to push it tight over the nail strips. Having people standing on it and holding up a ten thousand pound bed won't work. It is funny to think about it tho!
wow.gif

Carpet needs to be pulled tight when installed, have you ever seen it? They have those knee knocker things to push it tight over the nail strips. Having people standing on it and holding up a ten thousand pound bed won't work. It is funny to think about it tho!
wow.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
wow.gif
Before pulling out all the carpets, I prayed for the ability to levitate several big pieces of furniture at once. After about a week of trying, I gave up!

Ask your carpet layers about moving the furniture. In all the times I've recarpeted, I've never had to completely remove the furniture (although it works better for them if it is done). The big pieces such as the bed and dresser were allowed to stay. The carpet layers would disassemble the bed and move things around as necessary. Chances are, they know quite a bit about taking that bed apart.
Be sure to ask the folks who will actually be laying the carpeting, not the folks selling the carpeting; you'll likely get two very different answers.

Ask your carpet layers about moving the furniture. In all the times I've recarpeted, I've never had to completely remove the furniture (although it works better for them if it is done). The big pieces such as the bed and dresser were allowed to stay. The carpet layers would disassemble the bed and move things around as necessary. Chances are, they know quite a bit about taking that bed apart.
Be sure to ask the folks who will actually be laying the carpeting, not the folks selling the carpeting; you'll likely get two very different answers..
IronGate said:
Be sure to ask the folks who will actually be laying the carpeting, not the folks selling the carpeting; you'll likely get two very different answers.
Good advice.

Have you ever taken these beds apart and moved them before? I used to have them back when I lived on land, and I took them apart by myself several times, moved them and put them back together. It's really not hard at all.

Back