what to do in the Face of the weather?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Camb

Reaction score
it has been raining pretty much for 3 months now and really heavily for the past 3 weeks
lots of festivals etc have been cancelled but The Yorkshire Show which is a huge event 34,000 people declared on monday that they were cancelling for no man! and nothing
(its a tue,wed,thurs event) then today about 6pm they announced its cancelled however they havn't been getting the word out very well as just spoke to one of the people staying that is exhibiting and she didn't know - so is going in tomorro to see whats what - i figure she has to pack up her stand and stuff anyway and then she said she has a long drive so will stay the whole time and make a mini break of it.
My horse judges have decided to go home as the horse area is knee deep in mud and there is no way they are doing any more showing - however other animal people have been told they are going to carry on judging.
So its hard to say who is comming, who is going and who is staying! its a nightmare and I am dreading the morning. Have just been charging wed and thursdays arrivals cards as don't want to end up too much out of pocket from a time when I should be making an absolute killing.
People are discussing what to do online - for me its a case of im sorry and ill do a reduction if I resell but otherwise its tough
its hard for me to be hard hearted as 2 rooms that arrived today were for 3 nights with tonight being their first night who were going to go to the show each day!
What I find people do in this situation is they cancel cards right away when they hear so you can't get the money so you have to do it faster than they figure it out - my neighbour looks to be out $2000
So its a warning to others!

I am having similar problems over this side of the pond in Ireland. The weather is becoming such an issue that we have had people leaving half way through the book. An you really do have to be hard and at least take the nights they stayed and the night they are booking out on top otherwise you lose way to much money.
Tis horrid though that the people just don't seem to understand your not a large company and the losses are a hit.

What is Really sad is that it is a hit for ALL - except perhaps for the Show organizers unless they are refunding the vendor money. The vendor has shelled out the display fee and now is going to be hit with the lodging fee without a chance to make the money back through sales. The innkeepers are going to take a hit from lost revenue in addition to money spent for supplies. I am sure the event venue already got their money. So as usual, the bottom of the food chain is left holding the bag, I am so sorry for all of you who are losing because Mother Nature forgot to turn off the water faucet.
Here we got a taste of what it is going to be when our power plants are shut down (3 are schedule for shutdown in my State in September) - and Mother Nature left the sun lamp on here. She has finally turned it down a couple notches and just about all the power has been restored here. YEA!!!
May the rain stop over there so we can get a bit of it here (we could use a couple nights of steady gentle rain).

I am having similar problems over this side of the pond in Ireland. The weather is becoming such an issue that we have had people leaving half way through the book. An you really do have to be hard and at least take the nights they stayed and the night they are booking out on top otherwise you lose way to much money.
Tis horrid though that the people just don't seem to understand your not a large company and the losses are a hit..
The only weather I'm likely to return money for are severe snowstorms where travel is dangerous or hurricanes where the power is likely to go out. Now, if someone was coming as a vendor to an event that was cancelled, I'd have to think of how I would handle it. Which is why I hate taking teams here for sporting events. The team loses and everyone wants to go home!

I'm so sorry about this K. I heard that the weather was wet, didn't realize it was that wet!

I'm so sorry about this K. I heard that the weather was wet, didn't realize it was that wet!.
Well part of the problem was just sheer volume of mud - the horse's were sent home (they were doing all kossak stuff where they stand on the saddles etc and it was just too dangerous) trouble was then the horse boxes got stuck and had to be pulled out one at a time by tractor. There was about 100 horses so this then ploughed all the field where they were parked to crap. this then meant that it was just a complete H&S disaster. The Royal Horticultural society have refunded the money but a lot of people have lost money. For example thomases the baker had made tons of tarts which all had to be thrown.
what made me laugh was one exhibitor was complaining about one of my neighbours enforcing the cancellation policy because they were a business - I would have put in my reply - I am a buisiness as well is it different for me?

Back