What to do...what to do....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussie Innkeeper

Reaction score
So, I'm in my cottage this morning, getting it ready for new guests coming in this afternoon. I lift up the mattress and look behind the headboard and a card falls out. I never would have seen this and I have no idea how it got where it was. The card is addressed to "Jen and Dave" and has cash in it. It's a wedding card.
So, I look through my reservations, figuring that I'll easily identify the couple, contact them and offer to forward them a check for the amount of the cash (not to send cash thru the mail) along with their card. Easy Peasy.
However... Try as I might, I cannot find anyone who has been in that room by those names. What do I now do with the card and the cash?

It might not have been "Jen & Dave' that stayed with you, your couple could have been the ones giving the gift and somehow misplaced it.
Is it a lot of cash? It sounds like you've done everything you can to find the owner. You might want to give it to your favorite charity, or if you're comfortable with just keeping it for a couple months to see if someone calls to claim it and then if not, consider it a tip.

It might not have been "Jen & Dave' that stayed with you, your couple could have been the ones giving the gift and somehow misplaced it.
Is it a lot of cash? It sounds like you've done everything you can to find the owner. You might want to give it to your favorite charity, or if you're comfortable with just keeping it for a couple months to see if someone calls to claim it and then if not, consider it a tip..
Try Face book and put a request in a form of. I found a card with the name of Jen and Dave . Please get a hold of me .
When they contact you have them identify the card and contents. Plus you could send an E mail out to your guests who have stayed in the room.

If you can't figure out who it belongs to, hang onto it for a month or so and let the guest contact you. Same thing happens when we find jewelry, etc.
So, if it is addressed to so and so, who is it from?

The card did not have a 'FROM' even on the inside? I am sure if it did you checked those names as well.
I agree with BD. Hang on to it for a couple months then do as you will.
Meanwhile if you are reminded of anyone coming in to attend a wedding, you could contact them & ask. Otherwise your conscience should be clear.

Isn't there some deal where you turn found money over to the police and if it's not claimed within a certain amount of time, it's yours?

Isn't any one wanting to know $ amount? That makes a difference. I cant imagine you not finding someone with that name though.

Isn't there some deal where you turn found money over to the police and if it's not claimed within a certain amount of time, it's yours?.
Arkansawyer said:
Isn't there some deal where you turn found money over to the police and if it's not claimed within a certain amount of time, it's yours?
Only if you are Theodore Cleaver.

It was $200 in 20's.
Mystery solved! The giver of the card had a very unusual name.Remember, I didn't have the last names of the bride and groom.
Facebook to the rescue! I found those people easily and then looked at their 'friends' for someone named Jen. Sure enough, I found my guests.
I hope this does not speak poorly of my cleaning, but they were here in October! OMG! That card must have been wedged in good behind the headboard and I never saw it. The headboard is attached to the wall, so why would I ever remove it?

It was $200 in 20's.
Mystery solved! The giver of the card had a very unusual name.Remember, I didn't have the last names of the bride and groom.
Facebook to the rescue! I found those people easily and then looked at their 'friends' for someone named Jen. Sure enough, I found my guests.
I hope this does not speak poorly of my cleaning, but they were here in October! OMG! That card must have been wedged in good behind the headboard and I never saw it. The headboard is attached to the wall, so why would I ever remove it?.
In August I found someone's July paycheck under one of the beds. Sigh. It's tough to get good help. Even me when I'm rushed!
It's when we flip the mattresses that we find the weird stuff. ;-)

Good Job!
Odd they never thought to contact you about it.
I found some computer cd's with peoples names on them a few years back. I was not really wanting to see what was on it, and it was like your situ, it was behind the bed, and fell off months previously.

Isn't there some deal where you turn found money over to the police and if it's not claimed within a certain amount of time, it's yours?.
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
teeth_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

It was $200 in 20's.
I hope this does not speak poorly of my cleaning, but they were here in October! OMG! That card must have been wedged in good behind the headboard and I never saw it. The headboard is attached to the wall, so why would I ever remove it?.
I am happy mystery solved. I am glad face book helped.
We found $800.00 dollars once . The fellow was a lawyer and we had some time trying to get a hold of him . Finally we got a hold of his girlfriends relatives. The B @#%@^^ didn't even say thank you. Her Uncle came to collect even !!!!

Glad you found the rightful owner! One of the reasons we don't call guests if something is left is we can't be sure we didn't miss seeing that item from a past guest!
They definitely should have called you!

It was $200 in 20's.
We found $800.00 dollars once . The fellow was a lawyer and we had some time trying to get a hold of him . Finally we got a hold of his girlfriends relatives. The B @#%@^^ didn't even say thank you. Her Uncle came to collect even !!!!
Flower said:
See, that I would consider too much. What if the GF's family had no idea she was sleeping with a married man?

It was $200 in 20's.
Flower said:
See, that I would consider too much. What if the GF's family had no idea she was sleeping with a married man?
Aww but they knew her as she was coming here for a wedding. They knew she had a boyfriend. They had meet him the same day both had arrived. We also knew her Uncle as he owned a winery.
WOW who said he was a married MAN!? He was a single man with a big attitude. Her on the other hand was a lovely girl .Uncle didn't care for him either!

It was $200 in 20's.
Flower said:
Aww but they knew her as she was coming here for a wedding. They knew she had a boyfriend. They had meet him the same day both had arrived. We also knew her Uncle as he owned a winery.
WOW who said he was a married MAN!? He was a single man with a big attitude. Her on the other hand was a lovely girl .Uncle didn't care for him either!
You didn't give enough info the first time around to understand that you knew all these details about her family and that they all knew this guy, blah blah blah. All I'm saying is for MOST of us, we do not know those kinds of details and there is no way I would go searching for info on FB or anywhere about a guest I did not know anything about, which is most of them.
It's easy enough to wait for the guest to call and say they lost something.

Well, I've contacted the guest by sending two e-mails (one from each of my two accounts in case one was marked as 'spam') and I've sent her a message on Facebook. NO RESPONSE!!
Now what?
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Well, I've contacted the guest by sending two e-mails (one from each of my two accounts in case one was marked as 'spam') and I've sent her a message on Facebook. NO RESPONSE!!
Now what?
I would put it in an envelop with their name on it and put it in a secure place for a year. Then address the issue again.

Now what?
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Now what?
So, you've narrowed down who the money belongs to, you've contacted them twice via email and once via FB and you've not received a reply in how long? A week? (Figuring they may be on vacation and not in contact.)
I'd give it a month of waiting and then I'd have a little party.
Altho, I gave away a weekend stay and it took the person 6 months to get back to me so I could send her the GC. You never know what's important to people.

Back