What to Do With Herbs That Have Bolted

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetiePie

Reaction score
I had a beautiful indoor herb garden in the sunroom. We recently had a hot spell that caused some of them to bolt and go to seed. Specifically it was the Italian and regular parsleys. I hacked off the offending growth and took them down to the soil. I notice that new growth is starting again. Will they come back normally now?

Yup. same scenario here. Sunroom is like a blast furnace sometimes and we just keep cutting the stuff to bottom stems, watering it like carzy and it just keeps coming back.
Working with a couple of different oreganos, taragon, etc. that are over three years old.

I hacked off the offending growth and took them down to the soil.
I think I saw you in Friday the 13th! Do you wear a hockey mask?
evil2.gif

They'll come back and should be in a nicer more compact form.

evil2.gif

They'll come back and should be in a nicer more compact form..
Proud Texan said:
evil2.gif

They'll come back and should be in a nicer more compact form.
Yeah, that was my big break role. The mint and stuff gets really leggy, so cutting it way back helps rejuvenate the plant and help guard agianst little bugs getting settled in.

Since we have some experts in the house. What is the secret to growing cilantro and dill? I love to put the fresh stuff in food but they seem to turn yellow and die off on me all the time.

DW has hers interplanted with all her other herbs and they do well. Soil, temperature and moisture are going to be different. We have a lot of clay in our soil so intermixed a lot of good rich compost. We also keep our plants heavily mulched. They seem to be doing well, though I couldn't tell you why.

I have Italian parsely in the yard and have not planted it for at least 6 years. I just let it do its thing. It has survived some pretty rough winters too. I have to replace the rosemary every couple years when the winter gets it, basil every year. Oregano, tarragon, thyme, mint, chives, sage have all survived.

once it goes to seed.....not much can be done.....yes you can trim off the seeds....but the plant will not do much more than what is at that momment.
I have the problem with celantro....if I can catch it just as wants to bolt fine.....if I can catch just as it's starting to flower, fine...I just chalck up to celantro being a more delicate herb and don't expect to much

Update: The parsley is doing fine now. It has a lot of new growth off the stems I hacked down.

Back