What to do with leftover pancakes?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowSocks

Reaction score
I have all these leftover pancakes! My sister says to pitch them, but the cheap frugal part of me has a really hard time with it. I know they freeze, but then what?
=)
Kk.

I am looking at the same dilemma....maybe there is a way to use them in breadpudding or french toast? Anybody has any good advice?

Feed 'em to the kids...pop in microwave to warm, or even the toaster.
We never have leftover pancakes. That's one thing we cook to order. You want one with blueberries and one without? No problem.

Chris is at home while I work. He freezes them and then pops them in the microwave for breakfast for himself.
RIki

They have to be tossed here according to the Health Department & can't be re-heated for guests. Of course, if I have a few left over I freeze them for us.

We never had any leftovers. My husband usually manages to eat anything left over:) But freezing them is just fine. I wouldn't serve them to a guest, but for yourselves, they can be "nuked" in the microwave and used up by you sometime. Haven't you seen frozen pancakes in the grocery store? It's one of those things I think is ludicrous because how hard is it to open a box of bisquck and add water???? But obviously they sell like hot cakes HA HA!!!
tounge_smile.gif

We never had any leftovers. My husband usually manages to eat anything left over:) But freezing them is just fine. I wouldn't serve them to a guest, but for yourselves, they can be "nuked" in the microwave and used up by you sometime. Haven't you seen frozen pancakes in the grocery store? It's one of those things I think is ludicrous because how hard is it to open a box of bisquck and add water???? But obviously they sell like hot cakes HA HA!!!
tounge_smile.gif
Yes, frozen pancakes crack me up! Not to mention frozen eggs and sausage!! Jeez......

tounge_smile.gif
Yes, frozen pancakes crack me up! Not to mention frozen eggs and sausage!! Jeez......
Yes I would say half the stuff in the freezer case and the refrigerator section..shouldn't be there. But hey that is what our society has become. Maybe with this economic situation the way it is, someone will think..HEY! I should just make this myself....NOT! They still don't know how!

Oh, if you are serving pancakes family style on a platter to the table, then you would definitely need to toss them. That would be a BIG health code issue. They need to go bye-bye. Sorry...this is one case where you can't be frugal :-(

Oh, if you are serving pancakes family style on a platter to the table, then you would definitely need to toss them. That would be a BIG health code issue. They need to go bye-bye. Sorry...this is one case where you can't be frugal :-(.
Samster said:
Oh, if you are serving pancakes family style on a platter to the table, then you would definitely need to toss them. That would be a BIG health code issue. They need to go bye-bye. Sorry...this is one case where you can't be frugal :-(
As long as she doesn't try to re-serve them to guests, I would think it's her own choice if she wants to feed them to family. Personally? We don't save anything guests have 'opened'. Many leave us wine and cheese, etc that they can't take on the plane. We take it because we know they are stressing about throwing food away. Then we toss it.

Oh, if you are serving pancakes family style on a platter to the table, then you would definitely need to toss them. That would be a BIG health code issue. They need to go bye-bye. Sorry...this is one case where you can't be frugal :-(.
Samster said:
As long as she doesn't try to re-serve them to guests, I would think it's her own choice if she wants to feed them to family. Personally? We don't save anything guests have 'opened'. Many leave us wine and cheese, etc that they can't take on the plane. We take it because we know they are stressing about throwing food away. Then we toss it.
Of course, if you want to save stuff for yourself that has been served to guests, that might be your choice. I wouldn't do it though.

Even if you make them to order... what if you have extra batter? Yesterday's batch... plenty for guests, but plenty of leftover batter which I went ahead and made up as pancakes. But we still have pancakes leftover from when our talcum bomber friends came... untouched by all but me, but now in the fridge. There's only so many pancakes the ds4x2 and I can eat! But I'll try freezing some and maybe one morning we'll be more in the mood...
I'm thinking I should try thinning out the batter and see how it comes out if I make crepes. Those freeze great and are best made ahead for serving guests anyway.
=)
Kk.

Even if you make them to order... what if you have extra batter? Yesterday's batch... plenty for guests, but plenty of leftover batter which I went ahead and made up as pancakes. But we still have pancakes leftover from when our talcum bomber friends came... untouched by all but me, but now in the fridge. There's only so many pancakes the ds4x2 and I can eat! But I'll try freezing some and maybe one morning we'll be more in the mood...
I'm thinking I should try thinning out the batter and see how it comes out if I make crepes. Those freeze great and are best made ahead for serving guests anyway.
=)
Kk..
Yes, you can do that and make crepes. Good idea

=)
Kk..
No leftover batter. Hubs does each table separately. I check that they want pancakes, he starts mixing batter. He cleans the griddle between each batch and starts new batter. He has it down to a science now. He knows how many scoops of dry mix he needs based on how many pancakes he has to make.

=)
Kk..
No leftover batter. Hubs does each table separately. I check that they want pancakes, he starts mixing batter. He cleans the griddle between each batch and starts new batter. He has it down to a science now. He knows how many scoops of dry mix he needs based on how many pancakes he has to make.
Ahhhhh.... dry mix.
I make mine homemade. I can double or triple or halve, but not scoop.
That explains that.
=)
Kk.

=)
Kk..
Ahhhhh.... dry mix.
That explains that.
=)
Kk.
You can mix the dry ingredients and store them, then you just scoop what you need and add the appropriate amount of liquids.There's no way hubs is mixing dry ingredients for every table, he's got it all set up in advance.

=)
Kk..
Ahhhhh.... dry mix.
That explains that.
=)
Kk.
Health department here was also clear on saving batter - no go because of the eggs and milk. I've got my homemade buttermilk batter figured out for the right number of servings but if there's batter left over I either: Make up the pancakes for my dh ("Is there any food for me??") for that morning or I just make the pancakes up & freeze them for him to nuke at another time. Pancakes freeze really well. You'll get the hang of how much to make so you you won't have much left over ;-)

Hey Yellowsocks -- get two saint bernards -- you won't have anymore leftovers!
Big heads on paws, they sit and they wait. so cute.

Hey Yellowsocks -- get two saint bernards -- you won't have anymore leftovers!
Big heads on paws, they sit and they wait. so cute..
Eventually my ds4x2 will be ds15x2 and I won't have any leftovers then, either...
=)
Kk.

Back