What to keep?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mort, I am doing this now. My father left us two weeks ago today. One consideration is the laws in your state. You (or the executor) may have to do an inventory of the contents as they may be part of the estate.
In our case my father was not an accumulator of stuff. Most of the family things were dispersed when he sold the family home some years ago. he bought a home near us when he moved. Those things that are of use to friends are being given. Items with monetary value such as appliances will be inventoried. We will offer to 'buy' them back from the estate as they would be far too bulky to move across the country. (The house passes to us)
I kept many things when the family home was sold. Some items like grandmother's rolling pin and similar items are used and cherished. Many are still in boxes in storage. I am finally ready to have a yard sale for those things, but it will have to wait for better weather.
Right now the grief is fresh, but doing these last chores for him does help. I'll have (yet) another good cry when these tasks are finished..
We are lucky here as have an excellent auction service - you take what you want and they deal with everything else for you - sell anything worth selling and you get a cheque and rest they organise a skip and or charity people to collect. Ive recommended them now and again to guests dealing with this situation - don't necessarily live any where handy or have transport means they come once with a van for the things they want and then everything else is handled for them stress free.

Mort, I am doing this now. My father left us two weeks ago today. One consideration is the laws in your state. You (or the executor) may have to do an inventory of the contents as they may be part of the estate.
In our case my father was not an accumulator of stuff. Most of the family things were dispersed when he sold the family home some years ago. he bought a home near us when he moved. Those things that are of use to friends are being given. Items with monetary value such as appliances will be inventoried. We will offer to 'buy' them back from the estate as they would be far too bulky to move across the country. (The house passes to us)
I kept many things when the family home was sold. Some items like grandmother's rolling pin and similar items are used and cherished. Many are still in boxes in storage. I am finally ready to have a yard sale for those things, but it will have to wait for better weather.
Right now the grief is fresh, but doing these last chores for him does help. I'll have (yet) another good cry when these tasks are finished..
Good point about the inventory. How detailed of a inventory does your state expect? When mom died everything passed directly to dad, no inventory required. That may not be the same for kids.
So sorry to hear about your dad. I'm not sure I could have done this that soon. All I could do was throw out the food and clear out the medications.

Good point about the inventory. How detailed of a inventory does your state expect? When mom died everything passed directly to dad, no inventory required. That may not be the same for kids.
So sorry to hear about your dad. I'm not sure I could have done this that soon. All I could do was throw out the food and clear out the medications.
It will be part of the executor's duties if needed in your state.

Anon Inn said:
Yeah, that's me.

Anon Inn said:
Yeah, that's me.
One state's example. Nice explanation.
http://www.maineelderlaw.com/articles/probating-a-decedents-estate-in-maine/

I expect to find out about SC soon. Ex-S-i-l has been motivated to move - she inherits everything but still wants me to do the settling. I have been keeping her informed and she is signing a waiver so the SC lawyer representing her can talk to me (she pays into a "legal group" that has lawyers nationwide). Told her I am selling some furniture to the man who has been renting a room and she is OK with that (fiduciary responsibility as far as I am concerned) because she will not have to pay to move it. Also am keeping good records of EVERYTHING.

Anon Inn said:
Yeah, that's me.
One state's example. Nice explanation.
http://www.maineelderlaw.com/articles/probating-a-decedents-estate-in-maine/
Thanks for that link. I'll check to see if there's a similar site for the state I need.

When my mom passed away 2 years ago, all of her children, grandchildren, and other extended family and friends came to take what they wanted. It was amazing to me what people took and what they left behind. Almost everyone wanted something sentimental. I have her mother's ring and her old watch and all of the family photos, which my siblings and I will go through "someday". What I wish I had taken was a bottle of her favorite perfume so I could just smell it once in a while.

When my mom passed away 2 years ago, all of her children, grandchildren, and other extended family and friends came to take what they wanted. It was amazing to me what people took and what they left behind. Almost everyone wanted something sentimental. I have her mother's ring and her old watch and all of the family photos, which my siblings and I will go through "someday". What I wish I had taken was a bottle of her favorite perfume so I could just smell it once in a while..
I threw the perfume out. It was too much to handle.
Silly thing I kept? Mom got a travel alarm clock from a hotel chain as a thank you for being a 10 year member. Mom raved about that travel clock. It was still working 10 years after she got it.
It was no longer working when I cleared out the kitchen (hmmm). I threw it in the trash. Got up in the morning and took it back out. I'll try to get a battery for it.

The good china, crystal and silver if you have it. Art if it is good or if it makes you smile. Wedding rings and good jewelry.
I have my mom's favorite coffee mug.
I also have a favorite piece of furniture.
We kept way too much and it has taken us a while to get rid of the bed, dresser, the sofa from the 70's..
My mother grew up just after the Depression. She hated, and I can't say that too strongly, hated anything old. She spent her youth 'making do' and vowed not to have 'antiques' of any kind in her home.
Sooo, there is no good china or silverware. (OTOH, both of my grandmothers gave me their china and silverware!)
The wedding bands stayed with them.
The 70's furniture (yeah, Mom, antiques by today's standards) I have no use for.
Morticia said:
The 70's furniture (yeah, Mom, antiques by today's standards) I have no use for.
60's & 70's furniture are hot commodities right now in some places. You never know!

Once you have all chosen what you want, call in a company that does estate sales, see what they say.

The good china, crystal and silver if you have it. Art if it is good or if it makes you smile. Wedding rings and good jewelry.
We kept way too much and it has taken us a while to get rid of the bed, dresser, the sofa from the 70's..
My mother grew up just after the Depression. She hated, and I can't say that too strongly, hated anything old. She spent her youth 'making do' and vowed not to have 'antiques' of any kind in her home.
Sooo, there is no good china or silverware. (OTOH, both of my grandmothers gave me their china and silverware!)
Morticia said:
60's & 70's furniture are hot commodities right now in some places. You never know!

Once you have all chosen what you want, call in a company that does estate sales, see what they say.
in the UK as now copying old designs before they are 100 years and out of copywrite has now been made illegal ie you can't make similar or the same copies but new.

Morticia said:

My son called dibs on the hi-fi. No idea how he's getting that home.

Morticia said:

Not sure if it is quite the time period, but check out a FB page by the name of Mid-Century Modern. My taste runs to items from an older period, but do see attractive styles there that are being collected.

Morticia said:

Not sure if it is quite the time period, but check out a FB page by the name of Mid-Century Modern. My taste runs to items from an older period, but do see attractive styles there that are being collected.
Mid century is what they had when they first got married. This was the third go round on furnishings after their Danish modern period. (Most uncomfortable chairs in the known universe.)

I have my Mom's engagement ring with a different stone. My sister has the diamond from the engagement ring in her wedding band. My brother's wife wears my Mom's wedding ring.
heart.gif

I kept the better antiques and artwork to furnish Hobble Inn, which is also my parents' former home and where I grew up. There was so much to dispose of, though, I called a company to come pick most of it up to put in their recycling store (ReSource, ReStore, Goodwill types.) In a packed storeroom, I found rolls of wallpaper that predated ME! (I'm 69)Also uncovered some other things that my depression era parents thought it best to keep, just in case. I also kept my mother's china teacup collection, which is on display now. And ironically, I had to keep the kitchen clock, unusual because all of the numbers are "5". This was a party house!
It takes time, don't rush, if you can help it. Good luck!

Back