What to make for breakfast when no one can eat anything??

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted on an earlier thread about my perception that, when other things are going crazy in people's lives, they focus on diet as a thing they can control.
Based on recommendations from this forum, we changed our language regarding diet: "please let us know of any dietary restrictions you have, and we will attempt to accommodate them."
Since Breakfast is the one part of their stay they can "customize" (they can hardly demand hypo-allergenic oat-wheat-barley-husk stuffed mattresses), food is important.
And sometimes, the requests are legitimate. I have a good friend from my previous life who told me that he and his family rarely stayed at B&Bs because the breakfasts invariably were starch heavy (regardless of the dish the starch was in), and since both sides of the family suffered from celiac disease, trying to negotiate a suitable breakfast was just more trouble than it was worth.
So we take dietary requests seriously and attempt to accommodate them.
Last winter, we had a lesbian couple staying with us, one of whom had a long list of dietary no-nos. I bent over backwards to make a breakfast that she could eat. My first breakfast for her was a stuffed tomato with eggs and rice and other good things. When I brought it too the table, she turned white. "Oh," she said, "I guess I didn't tell you that I'm allergic to tomatoes."
"No, you didn't," I replied. "How about I fry you up a mess of of bacon and eggs?"
"That'll be fine," she said.
They became good friends, and we've laughed about that episode.
One of the things we have learned about people with dietary restrictions is that they fall into two camps: the demanding and the embarrassed.
We do our best to accommodate the former, and we bend over backwards to make the latter feel welcome..
Agree. We try to accommodate their dietary needs. So far, guests have appreciated the effort. We only have two rooms, so it's usually just one person that we have to make something special.

I posted on an earlier thread about my perception that, when other things are going crazy in people's lives, they focus on diet as a thing they can control.
Based on recommendations from this forum, we changed our language regarding diet: "please let us know of any dietary restrictions you have, and we will attempt to accommodate them."
Since Breakfast is the one part of their stay they can "customize" (they can hardly demand hypo-allergenic oat-wheat-barley-husk stuffed mattresses), food is important.
And sometimes, the requests are legitimate. I have a good friend from my previous life who told me that he and his family rarely stayed at B&Bs because the breakfasts invariably were starch heavy (regardless of the dish the starch was in), and since both sides of the family suffered from celiac disease, trying to negotiate a suitable breakfast was just more trouble than it was worth.
Last winter, we had a lesbian couple staying with us, one of whom had a long list of dietary no-nos. I bent over backwards to make a breakfast that she could eat. My first breakfast for her was a stuffed tomato with eggs and rice and other good things. When I brought it too the table, she turned white. "Oh," she said, "I guess I didn't tell you that I'm allergic to tomatoes."
"No, you didn't," I replied. "How about I fry you up a mess of of bacon and eggs?"
One of the things we have learned about people with dietary restrictions is that they fall into two camps: the demanding and the embarrassed.
We do our best to accommodate the former, and we bend over backwards to make the latter feel welcome..
Agree. We try to accommodate their dietary needs. So far, guests have appreciated the effort. We only have two rooms, so it's usually just one person that we have to make something special.

I put it in three categories, the health, the choice and the demanding.
The health are those whos restrictions related to real health concerns. Gluten-free, lactoste-free, milk-free, peanut/nut free and diabetics. These are real health concerns, something that can affect their lives. These are the bend-over backwards people.
The choice are those whos restrictions are related to personal long term choice. Vegetarians, vegans, no pork. These are the accommodate as best as we can people. (Vegans are often the most difficult to accommodate, since you have to check all the labels for traces of egg or milk products and not all of them are called egg or milk in the ingredient list.)
The demanding are those who don't really have restrictions, just a long list of things that they don't like and/or they want something specific for breakfast. These are the accommodate if we can, but otherwise enjoy the cereal and toast people.
Where I object is when people are in the demanding group and try to make it sound as if they are part of the health group. The fake "I'm allergic to eggs" but eat egg products (or say they are allergic to eggs, which is mostly a childrens disease that most people grow out of, and can't tell you if they are only allergic to chicken eggs, but not duck eggs.)
I don't personally like chocolate. Am I going to tell the host? Probably not. I just won't eat items that are chocolate. It's a personal preference. You won't see me eating a chocolate croissant... but I will certainly find something on the table to eat. Doesn't mean that I have to tell the host or bother them. I'm pretty sure I won't walk away from the table starving.
Will also jump in here about egg allergies. Our daughter developed an egg intolerance after having her removed. It started with not being able to eat an egg and has developed to items which contains eggs, egg whites in things are still tolerated - at least for now.

The health are those whos restrictions related to real health concerns. Gluten-free, lactoste-free, milk-free, peanut/nut free and diabetics. These are real health concerns, something that can affect their lives. These are the bend-over backwards people.
The choice are those whos restrictions are related to personal long term choice. Vegetarians, vegans, no pork. These are the accommodate as best as we can people. (Vegans are often the most difficult to accommodate, since you have to check all the labels for traces of egg or milk products and not all of them are called egg or milk in the ingredient list.)
The demanding are those who don't really have restrictions, just a long list of things that they don't like and/or they want something specific for breakfast. These are the accommodate if we can, but otherwise enjoy the cereal and toast people.
Where I object is when people are in the demanding group and try to make it sound as if they are part of the health group. The fake "I'm allergic to eggs" but eat egg products (or say they are allergic to eggs, which is mostly a childrens disease that most people grow out of, and can't tell you if they are only allergic to chicken eggs, but not duck eggs.)
I don't personally like chocolate. Am I going to tell the host? Probably not. I just won't eat items that are chocolate. It's a personal preference. You won't see me eating a chocolate croissant... but I will certainly find something on the table to eat. Doesn't mean that I have to tell the host or bother them. I'm pretty sure I won't walk away from the table starving.
Will also jump in here about egg allergies. Our daughter developed an egg intolerance after having her removed. It started with not being able to eat an egg and has developed to items which contains eggs, egg whites in things are still tolerated - at least for now.
copperhead said:
Our daughter developed an egg intolerance after having her removed.
Where did she go
tounge_smile.gif

copperhead said:
Where did she go
tounge_smile.gif

Penelope said:
copperhead said:
Where did she go
tounge_smile.gif
smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-013.gif
I did forget a key word ---- gallbladder!!!!

copperhead said:
Will also jump in here about egg allergies. Our daughter developed an egg intolerance after having her removed.
OK, I'm laughing myself silly trying to come up with what was removed (your daughter? some body part?) If it's not a secret, do tell.

copperhead said:
Will also jump in here about egg allergies. Our daughter developed an egg intolerance after having her removed.
OK, I'm laughing myself silly trying to come up with what was removed (your daughter? some body part?) If it's not a secret, do tell.
Alibi Ike said:
copperhead said:
Dear guest, let me tell you about the last person who wouldn't eat what was put in front of her. She complained about eating eggs one time too many, so we had her removed!
In all seriousness, sorry to hear about your daughter's gallbladder, Copper.

Add fat-free to that health concerns. DH has had a heart atack, aortic aneurysm, and a 6-way bypass. He avoids fat like the plague. He does not knowingly eat things with fat (he does not know about the butter in the chocolate pudding - that is his only real treat and yes, what he does not know might kill him.) He also avoids sugar (borderline diabetic) and salt (high BP). Living with one of "those people" is no picnic - you just get them for a short stay.

Add fat-free to that health concerns. DH has had a heart atack, aortic aneurysm, and a 6-way bypass. He avoids fat like the plague. He does not knowingly eat things with fat (he does not know about the butter in the chocolate pudding - that is his only real treat and yes, what he does not know might kill him.) He also avoids sugar (borderline diabetic) and salt (high BP). Living with one of "those people" is no picnic - you just get them for a short stay.
It wasn't intended to be a complete list. I'm sure we have all had a share of diets to cook for, including weight loss.

We have one coming...no gluten, no dairy, no eggs.
In talking with one of the farmers at the market last week I found out why duck and goose eggs are edible by those who cannot eat chicken eggs...it's the feed. So, perhaps my no egg, no gluten CAN have duck eggs. In which case I'll find out if I can get them for when they are here.
We could make an egg scramble with soy milk.

In talking with one of the farmers at the market last week I found out why duck and goose eggs are edible by those who cannot eat chicken eggs...it's the feed. So, perhaps my no egg, no gluten CAN have duck eggs. In which case I'll find out if I can get them for when they are here.
We could make an egg scramble with soy milk..
Alibi Ike said:
"A gluten intolerant guest, a dairy free guest and a duck walk into an inn..."
The duck says "Why is everyone staring at me?"

Alibi Ike said:
fruit and a big plate of fried potatoes or hash browns

Make a breakfast veggie shishkabob, or give them a bowl of rice krispies with rice milk.
kabob-2agjlop.jpg

Alibi Ike said:
I've been wanting to try a sweet potato fry so that would be a good time. Everyone could eat that. I will talk to them this week to find out what the deal is.

Alibi Ike said:
I've been wanting to try a sweet potato fry so that would be a good time. Everyone could eat that. I will talk to them this week to find out what the deal is.
Yum, sweet potato fry sounds great! Let us know how it turns out if you do it.

Alibi Ike said:
Alibi Ike said:
I have been surprising guests with sweet potatos this last year. But I have some other groovy "medley" veggie's in with it, that they seem to like too. To the cubed sweet potatoes I add black beans - just a few, and onions and red bell pepper. It adds a delightful color to the plates! Don't be afraid to cube them and pre-cook them in the microwave to soften them up since they take so long to cook. They tend to get soft fast once they are soft, and want to break apart.
Here's a white and sweet potato in the oven medley, mine is more colorful with the red bell.
http://allrecipes.com/Cook/18390259/Photo.aspx?photoID=128318
Sweet potato hashbrowns
http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/crispy_hash_browns/
Vegan Sweet Potato Breakfast Cookies
http://www.livelaugheat.com/2011/01/03/vegan-sweet-potato-breakfast-cookies/

I've said this before: with the non-allergic demanding crowd, I'm pretty sure the issue is control. So much of your life is spiraling out of control that if you can control your diet, at least you can control *something*.
We are pretty specific in our dietary questions at booking: "Do you have any food allergies or restrictions that we should know about?" No mention of "preferences." We're talking diabetes and peanut anaphylaxis here.
Notwithstanding that, somehow, we got on the radar of young families from the Jewish Community Center in Denver. The savvy ones who have visited us before say, "Let's stick with dairy." The newbies proclaim that they are vegetarian.
"Lacto-ovo?" you ask, just to tease them.
"Huh?"
"Can you eat eggs in addition to dairy?"
"Eggs are dairy, aren't they?"
You shake your head and reflect on the irony of two old, crusty, liberal Episcopalians schooling young Jewish couples just getting back into their religion on their dietary regimen.
Last winter, just before the end of ski season, we had a delightful Jewish couple who had been guests several times before book half our rooms, and they and their friends and relatives descended on the Lodge with a menagerie of children.
Saturday evening, they even celebrated the Sabbath in the dining room. Egotist that I am, I was sure that I could have made better Hala bread than that dry stuff they brought up from a kosher bakery in Denver, but I kept my mouth shut.
We had one gentile couple in the Lodge that weekend, so Sunday morning we fried up some bacon to provide extra protein to the dairy breakfast we provided.
Well! One of the daughter's mother, visiting from New Jersey, made a bee-line for the bacon. Julie and I were horrified. We caucused in the kitchen: "Maybe she thinks it's turkey?!" We were replaying the horror of the time before we owned a B&B but were taking in students at our house near to a University, that Julie fed a Muslim living with us chicken smothered in (pork) green chile. But that's another story.
Her daughter told us her mom figured that none of her friends in NJ would know if she'd eaten pork, and it turns out she had a passion for bacon.
Case closed.
We've had non-gluten adventures, too. But I'll save that for another post....

I've said this before: with the non-allergic demanding crowd, I'm pretty sure the issue is control. So much of your life is spiraling out of control that if you can control your diet, at least you can control *something*.
We are pretty specific in our dietary questions at booking: "Do you have any food allergies or restrictions that we should know about?" No mention of "preferences." We're talking diabetes and peanut anaphylaxis here.
Notwithstanding that, somehow, we got on the radar of young families from the Jewish Community Center in Denver. The savvy ones who have visited us before say, "Let's stick with dairy." The newbies proclaim that they are vegetarian.
"Huh?"
You shake your head and reflect on the irony of two old, crusty, liberal Episcopalians schooling young Jewish couples just getting back into their religion on their dietary regimen.
Last winter, just before the end of ski season, we had a delightful Jewish couple who had been guests several times before book half our rooms, and they and their friends and relatives descended on the Lodge with a menagerie of children.
Saturday evening, they even celebrated the Sabbath in the dining room. Egotist that I am, I was sure that I could have made better Hala bread than that dry stuff they brought up from a kosher bakery in Denver, but I kept my mouth shut.
We had one gentile couple in the Lodge that weekend, so Sunday morning we fried up some bacon to provide extra protein to the dairy breakfast we provided.
Well! One of the daughter's mother, visiting from New Jersey, made a bee-line for the bacon. Julie and I were horrified. We caucused in the kitchen: "Maybe she thinks it's turkey?!" We were replaying the horror of the time before we owned a B&B but were taking in students at our house near to a University, that Julie fed a Muslim living with us chicken smothered in (pork) green chile. But that's another story.
Her daughter told us her mom figured that none of her friends in NJ would know if she'd eaten pork, and it turns out she had a passion for bacon.
Case closed.
We've had non-gluten adventures, too. But I'll save that for another post.....
Actually, eggs aren't dairy, they are "parve" (neither dairy nor meat) to be specific. So are fish, incidentally.
I really wish that people were just honest about such things, I have no problem if they want kosher style. I have no problem with any religious food restrictions, I can respect that.
Of course the schadenfreude of preventing someone from eating anything having eggs when they lie that they are allergic to eggs... pure fun!

"Huh?"
Case closed.
Actually, eggs aren't dairy, they are "parve" (neither dairy nor meat) to be specific. So are fish, incidentally.
I really wish that people were just honest about such things, I have no problem if they want kosher style. I have no problem with any religious food restrictions, I can respect that.
Of course the schadenfreude of preventing someone from eating anything having eggs when they lie that they are allergic to eggs... pure fun!
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-parve.htm
I had heard that eggs were not dairy . So I looked up parve . Aww then the light came on. Hahahaha Thank you for this clear understanding. But yet my guest said eggs are dairy and I was missed informed.

"Huh?"
Case closed.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
You made me look it up, and I like it. Can we add it to the innkeepers glossary of terms here. :)

Back