What to make for breakfast when no one can eat anything??

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've said this before: with the non-allergic demanding crowd, I'm pretty sure the issue is control. So much of your life is spiraling out of control that if you can control your diet, at least you can control *something*.
We are pretty specific in our dietary questions at booking: "Do you have any food allergies or restrictions that we should know about?" No mention of "preferences." We're talking diabetes and peanut anaphylaxis here.
Notwithstanding that, somehow, we got on the radar of young families from the Jewish Community Center in Denver. The savvy ones who have visited us before say, "Let's stick with dairy." The newbies proclaim that they are vegetarian.
"Lacto-ovo?" you ask, just to tease them.
"Huh?"
"Can you eat eggs in addition to dairy?"
"Eggs are dairy, aren't they?"
You shake your head and reflect on the irony of two old, crusty, liberal Episcopalians schooling young Jewish couples just getting back into their religion on their dietary regimen.
Last winter, just before the end of ski season, we had a delightful Jewish couple who had been guests several times before book half our rooms, and they and their friends and relatives descended on the Lodge with a menagerie of children.
Saturday evening, they even celebrated the Sabbath in the dining room. Egotist that I am, I was sure that I could have made better Hala bread than that dry stuff they brought up from a kosher bakery in Denver, but I kept my mouth shut.
We had one gentile couple in the Lodge that weekend, so Sunday morning we fried up some bacon to provide extra protein to the dairy breakfast we provided.
Well! One of the daughter's mother, visiting from New Jersey, made a bee-line for the bacon. Julie and I were horrified. We caucused in the kitchen: "Maybe she thinks it's turkey?!" We were replaying the horror of the time before we owned a B&B but were taking in students at our house near to a University, that Julie fed a Muslim living with us chicken smothered in (pork) green chile. But that's another story.
Her daughter told us her mom figured that none of her friends in NJ would know if she'd eaten pork, and it turns out she had a passion for bacon.
Case closed.
We've had non-gluten adventures, too. But I'll save that for another post.....
Actually, eggs aren't dairy, they are "parve" (neither dairy nor meat) to be specific. So are fish, incidentally.
I really wish that people were just honest about such things, I have no problem if they want kosher style. I have no problem with any religious food restrictions, I can respect that.
Of course the schadenfreude of preventing someone from eating anything having eggs when they lie that they are allergic to eggs... pure fun!
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-parve.htm
I had heard that eggs were not dairy . So I looked up parve . Aww then the light came on. Hahahaha Thank you for this clear understanding. But yet my guest said eggs are dairy and I was missed informed.
Flower said:
I had heard that eggs were not dairy . So I looked up parve . Aww then the light came on. Hahahaha Thank you for this clear understanding. But yet my guest said eggs are dairy and I was missed informed.
Maybe they said "Eggs come from the same dairy where we get our butter!" LOL!

I've said this before: with the non-allergic demanding crowd, I'm pretty sure the issue is control. So much of your life is spiraling out of control that if you can control your diet, at least you can control *something*.
We are pretty specific in our dietary questions at booking: "Do you have any food allergies or restrictions that we should know about?" No mention of "preferences." We're talking diabetes and peanut anaphylaxis here.
Notwithstanding that, somehow, we got on the radar of young families from the Jewish Community Center in Denver. The savvy ones who have visited us before say, "Let's stick with dairy." The newbies proclaim that they are vegetarian.
"Huh?"
You shake your head and reflect on the irony of two old, crusty, liberal Episcopalians schooling young Jewish couples just getting back into their religion on their dietary regimen.
Last winter, just before the end of ski season, we had a delightful Jewish couple who had been guests several times before book half our rooms, and they and their friends and relatives descended on the Lodge with a menagerie of children.
Saturday evening, they even celebrated the Sabbath in the dining room. Egotist that I am, I was sure that I could have made better Hala bread than that dry stuff they brought up from a kosher bakery in Denver, but I kept my mouth shut.
We had one gentile couple in the Lodge that weekend, so Sunday morning we fried up some bacon to provide extra protein to the dairy breakfast we provided.
Well! One of the daughter's mother, visiting from New Jersey, made a bee-line for the bacon. Julie and I were horrified. We caucused in the kitchen: "Maybe she thinks it's turkey?!" We were replaying the horror of the time before we owned a B&B but were taking in students at our house near to a University, that Julie fed a Muslim living with us chicken smothered in (pork) green chile. But that's another story.
Her daughter told us her mom figured that none of her friends in NJ would know if she'd eaten pork, and it turns out she had a passion for bacon.
Case closed.
Actually, eggs aren't dairy, they are "parve" (neither dairy nor meat) to be specific. So are fish, incidentally.
I really wish that people were just honest about such things, I have no problem if they want kosher style. I have no problem with any religious food restrictions, I can respect that.
Of course the schadenfreude of preventing someone from eating anything having eggs when they lie that they are allergic to eggs... pure fun!
Eric Arthur Blair said:
You made me look it up, and I like it. Can we add it to the innkeepers glossary of terms here. :)
Joey Bloggs said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
You made me look it up, and I like it. Can we add it to the innkeepers glossary of terms here. :)
I love that word schadenfreude. It's so much more subtle than gloating, and has the appropriate devilish sound to it.

"Huh?"
Case closed.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I love that word schadenfreude. It's so much more subtle than gloating, and has the appropriate devilish sound to it.
muirford said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
The woman who refused to eat anything then demanded a bowl of oatmeal. I brought it out and she said "What is THIS?" I said your oatmeal you said you had to have. The others were eating their delightful home cooked delicious and fully tasty meals. She said "Where are MY blueberries?" They rest in the party reminded her "You said only oatmeal, no fruit" and I walked away. CALF Queen. Those other traveling partners must have had so much fun putting up with her!
Schadenfreude.

"Huh?"
Case closed.
I grew up in this kind of household. Eggs and fish are parve. It's a weird situation, where the world of food is divided in two and you eat certain things at dairy meals and others at meat meals.
The one thing that you need to be very careful about is gelatin, especially in yogurt. Unless it is marked as kosher, it isn't. Bovine or Porcine gelatin isn't allowed. Kosher gelatin is made from fish bones instead. Or they use agar.

"Huh?"
Case closed.
I grew up in this kind of household. Eggs and fish are parve. It's a weird situation, where the world of food is divided in two and you eat certain things at dairy meals and others at meat meals.
The one thing that you need to be very careful about is gelatin, especially in yogurt. Unless it is marked as kosher, it isn't. Bovine or Porcine gelatin isn't allowed. Kosher gelatin is made from fish bones instead. Or they use agar.
Thank you for that one! I didn't know there was a 'vegan' or 'kosher' gelatin.

"Huh?"
Case closed.
Agar (or sometimes agar agar) is a little more fickle. And it's a bit firmer than gelatin. But it's fully vegan.
Have you ever heard of Ultratex 3? Allows you to thicken without heat (ie use instead of cornstarch to thicken a liquid.) Molecular gastronomy tools
teeth_smile.gif

"Huh?"
Case closed.
Alibi Ike said:
Yes you did! Remember our discussion on Peeps...this year, last year and the year before that.

"Huh?"
Case closed.
Alibi Ike said:
Yes you did! Remember our discussion on Peeps...this year, last year and the year before that.
Totally do not remember. Peeps have gelatin? See what I know.

"Huh?"
Case closed.
I always wondered what the word "parve" meant. THANKS! Never too old to learn...

Back