what to say

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
i shared the jordan marsh blueberry muffin recipe with a relative. it's not my recipe, it's a classic that i've been making for years ... as did my mom. i'm pretty sure it's in the recipes here on the forum. if not, i'll add it after posting.
today, said relative dropped off a couple muffins yesterday and today left a phone message asking what i think. thank goodness i was out shoveling. he said they were a combination of 'my' recipe and another jordan marsh blueberry muffin recipe he got online. well .... they taste like a box mix of banana muffin with blueberries mixed in. they are not high risers, they are squat, dense and wet-ish on the top like a banana bread. and, in a word, they taste bad. really ... not good. they don't even look appealing. i took one bite ... took another nibble ... and tossed them.
what would you say to him?
that they taste a lot different than the j m muffins? that they taste almost like a banana muffin? that they are 'different' and i think i prefer the original recipe?
i probably sound horrid and i don't mean to. he's always experimenting with his cooking and takes a lot of pride in it.

that they are 'different' and i think i prefer the original recipe?
My choice of answers. It says everything without smacking him up the side of the head.

Jordan Marsh would be like Macy's. I am not familiar with Marshall Fields. definitely regional, sorry about that!

Maybe he is trying to fool you - he used a box mix and if you tell him they taste fine he will laugh and say "gotcha"! Go with the "I like the original recipe better" - always better to tell the truth!

Jordan Marsh would be like Macy's. I am not familiar with Marshall Fields. definitely regional, sorry about that!.
Marshall Fields, after generations of being THE dept store in Chicago is now a Macy's. So sad...... They were bought out a couple years ago now.
Each region has "their" quality store. I cannot remember the one in Hot Springs now but in Ohio it was Lazarus (also now bought out I think) and in WV it was Stone & Thomas (now Elder-Bierman). Of course everyone everywhere knew about Filene's Basement! They opened a branch of Filene's at Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg, Illinois before we left there.

Maybe he is trying to fool you - he used a box mix and if you tell him they taste fine he will laugh and say "gotcha"! Go with the "I like the original recipe better" - always better to tell the truth!.
That's my thinking, too. I think it's a trick question! So I'd just tell him that I like the original recipe so very much that it's hard for me to want anything else. But thanks for dropping them off. How sweet! Next time call first to make sure I'm around!

Jordan Marsh would be like Macy's. I am not familiar with Marshall Fields. definitely regional, sorry about that!.
Marshall Fields, after generations of being THE dept store in Chicago is now a Macy's. So sad...... They were bought out a couple years ago now.
Each region has "their" quality store. I cannot remember the one in Hot Springs now but in Ohio it was Lazarus (also now bought out I think) and in WV it was Stone & Thomas (now Elder-Bierman). Of course everyone everywhere knew about Filene's Basement! They opened a branch of Filene's at Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg, Illinois before we left there.
gillumhouse said:
...in Ohio it was Lazarus...
Do you remember when it was "Rike's" before it was Lazarus? Ahh the childhood memories of shopping with my mother at Rike's and El-Bee. :)

gillumhouse said:
...in Ohio it was Lazarus...
Do you remember when it was "Rike's" before it was Lazarus? Ahh the childhood memories of shopping with my mother at Rike's and El-Bee. :)
No. I grew up in WV and our shopping was done in Steubenville and there it was The HUB (the Walnut Room was the elegant place to lunch - needless to say I do not rember ever eating there). I went to Columbus to work in 1968 and it was Lazarus then. Pittsburgh had Joseph Horne's, and Gimbels and Kaufman's. We would go to Pittsburgh over Christmas to see the windows of those 3 and to ride the escalators (didn't take much to entertain us!).

'This is not one of your better experimentations. I really liked xyz much better.'
Of course it depends on what kind of relationship you have with this person. In my family you'd get, 'Hey you know that new cooking show where they teach totally clueless people how to cook? I signed you up.'

Hmm didn't know that was a "special" recipe. it is the one I have always used for our muffins :)

then you must make some great muffins! it's very basic and works well for making cranberry muffins and chocolate chip muffins, too.

Back