What types of souvenirs do you collect when you travel?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
[COLOR= rgb(68, 68, 68)]What types of souvenirs do you collect when you travel?[/COLOR]

We usually find something small (last trip it was Eiffel tower keychains) and bring back a whole bunch of them, so that we always have some on the ready when someone says, did you bring back anything.
For ourselves, usually pictures. Though, I have to admit that being in France last time, we stopped by the Peugot shop and bought salt and pepper mills, since the are the best in the world. We also bought a mill for "sel de Geurande" and a nutmeg mill.

I generally look for watercolors or prints, sized 5 x 7 up to 8-1/2 x 11, that depict a scene that will reminds me of the place I'm visiting. I buy these because they're cheap, light, and don't take up much space in my luggage so they're easy to get home with.
I frame these and hang them around the house and my office. Each time I look at one, it takes me back to one of my vacations, and my blood pressure drops a little.

Back in the day when I had more kids than money, I collected cream pitchers because I could usually get one for 50 cents but rarely more than $1. I also got brochures for the files i kept for others who would ask for travel info. I also bought postcards because they had better photos than I could take.
Today, I do not do souvenirs for me - just for others and it depends on the person I am buying for. I take that back, I bought a glass angel ornament for my Christmas tree at the Cathedral of Reims - small inexpensive and I did buy the guide books from the places i visited to show to DH and friends and they were between 6E (or 6L) and 10E or 10L (the L stands for pound and E for Euro). BOOKS are what I buy.

One thing I always thought would be fun is to get a haircut and style in a foreign land. I have yet to do it, it usually happens before the trip. I thought it would be a fun experience and something to take back with me (and memorable).

Comic books.
Well, properly, bandes dessinées, a literary art form. Origin of Tintin.

We purchase a coffee table book on the area where we are.
RIki

Something memorable from the area that will remind me of what it's known for. It's usually not an item that sits on a shelf or does not get used. Also, not very expensive as a rule. I also don't buy a bunch of stuff either. And it's usually not something that you'd find in a tourist shop, but could be if it's interesting.
I have art work, jewelry, textiles, furniture, "coffee table" books, ornaments, pottery, etc. Very eclectic stuff. I bought a shell bracelet in a cool shop on the island of Majorca last summer for 3 euros, as an example. It has little metal charms on it along with the shells that symbolize things on the island. I'll think of them every time I wear it. I have a moonshine jar that was found on a walk in JB's area that has some flowers in it right now in my kitchen.
regular_smile.gif

I'm really getting away from anything that just sits around and has to be dusted. I'm in de-crapifying mode here. LOL!
teeth_smile.gif

Christmas ornaments. Locally made.
ETA: I also like to get local foods if it's an interesting item I've had while there, and is transportable.

It used to be pottery pieces, but no longer. I just don't want "things" any more. ...I call them dust catchers now. I like to shop for foods from the locale. I like finding something new and different.

Fridge Magnets for the location visited... (e.g. state flag, symbol of the city, etc...)

Went to edinburgh and DH came back with a fricking sword! that was a laugh to get back on the train I can tell you! I bought a ring and a miniture medieval helmet which is fun.

Fridge Magnets for the location visited... (e.g. state flag, symbol of the city, etc...).
this is why we do fridge magnets ( i get them only when they are on offer with vistaprint) cos i figure if they are on the fridge they are looking at them every day so is excellent marketing.

(You can see where this question is leading...) I hope we have more responses. and uh no, you can't cut your guests hair!
whattha.gif

(You can see where this question is leading...) I hope we have more responses. and uh no, you can't cut your guests hair!
whattha.gif
My guests buy the local foods from my shop and cookbooks - small local type. They liked my cookbook - that I have been too lazy to re-enter into the computer after a crash wiped it out.

Coffee mugs, pens and those brass 'icons' like the Eiffel Tower, Statue of Liberty, Big Ben, etc.

One thing I always thought would be fun is to get a haircut and style in a foreign land. I have yet to do it, it usually happens before the trip. I thought it would be a fun experience and something to take back with me (and memorable)..
Corn rows & beads in Jamaica, mon! But, yes, I have thought that, too...a haircut and styling.

ETA: I also like to get local foods if it's an interesting item I've had while there, and is transportable..
muirford said:
Ditto I love the memories they bring back when we decorate the tree. Started this in 1982.

When the kids were younger I would bring something back for the person (Grandma) who watched them. Now I bring something back for the person who watches the dogs.

I'm into dish towels (tea towels). They were much easier to pack and actually useful once I got home. We have some great ones from all over England. When I use them to wipe dishes, I remember where we were in our trip when the towel was bought.
Lynda, Inn Caring

Back