What was an adventurous breakfast you've served?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowSocks

Reaction score
We had guests for 8 days, from Spain. On their last day I'd used up my all my regular meals and wanted to do something special so we served fruit cups, sausage, potato frittata (not a Spanish omelet, but similar), homemade spicy hot chocolate, and homemade churros (long, thin doughnuts from Spain). Good thing dh was here or I'd never have pulled it off! As it was... yummmmm!
Oh, and a day or two before I did Tipsy's sausage braid.... huge hit!
What challenging thing(s) have you tried?
=)
Kk.

I had a guest who would stay with us a couple times a year just to eat all the oysters she could. I found a recipe for an oyster frittata. Fortunately, she was the only guest that morning!

My first breakfast that was both gluten-free and lactose-free.
This was before I had the correct flours, etc and was winging it. After checking that soy and brown rice flours were OK, I made pancakes using half soy flour/half brown rice flour and water instead of milk. The guest was pleased that I tried so hard and she said it was good. My first vegan was interesting too.

Gluten free blueberry pancakes.
The Gluten free - by choice, not necessity, healthy guest from CA loved them and said they were the best she had ever had! The non gluten free couple who also dined on the gluten free cakes told me they were the worst they had ever had. (The only negatory comment I have had in 5 years of breakfasts and so...I will not do it again. Next time they all get an egg dish.) I sent the non glutens a gc for another stay BOGO.

gluten free, dairy free waffles with whipped almond breeze topping i made for a little boy whose parents were trying to control his asthma with diet.
he said they were 'magical'
i thought they were gross!
oh, and sauteed aloe vera.

Gluten free blueberry pancakes.
The Gluten free - by choice, not necessity, healthy guest from CA loved them and said they were the best she had ever had! The non gluten free couple who also dined on the gluten free cakes told me they were the worst they had ever had. (The only negatory comment I have had in 5 years of breakfasts and so...I will not do it again. Next time they all get an egg dish.) I sent the non glutens a gc for another stay BOGO..
This is why I would rather go crazy in my kitchen by making a separate breakfast for the severely restricted breakfast. I don't think it's fair that the other guests not have the "good stuff".

I make a vegan pumpkin bread that is wonderful and no one can tell. In fact, one of the vegans wrote in the room diary that the guests should lie and say they are vegan just so they can eat that bread. It's a great compliment, but I certainly don't need any MORE vegans!

Had a guest with the following list:
No meat, wheat, dairy, peppers, potatoes, onions, tomatos, sugar and could only have organic eggs.
So I made an omelette, fried parsnips, and an oatmeal berry cobbler.
She loved it.
Not "adventurous", but resourceful!

Gluten-free is NOT given to everyone - for the most part it is - to me - just tolerable. I will not inflict that on my other guests. But everyone would get the egg entree.

Gluten-free is NOT given to everyone - for the most part it is - to me - just tolerable. I will not inflict that on my other guests. But everyone would get the egg entree..
I use the Pamela's gluten-free mix for muffins, cookies and even for waffles - it tastes good and most don't know it's gluten-free. I have to reassure the special diet people. Now vegan - that doesn't get served to everybody except for my vegan blueberry pecan muffins which are pretty tasty.

We had a guest who was on a raw diet. Nothing cooked, processed, or altered from it's original state. That meant: no eggs (would have to be cooked to eat), no bread (same reason), no yogurt (altered state and heat was used to make it), no cereal, nothing that one would usually associate with breakfast. Obviously no meat. So she got fruit...lots of fruit!!! Water only. No juice, tea, coffee, hot cocoa, milk. Water. Fruit.
We serve dinner to our guests. She got a salad with homemade dressing, almonds that hadn't been toasted and carrot shavings. Topped it all off with more fruit for dessert, and THAT WAS IT.
PS. It was by choice that she eats like this.

gluten free, dairy free waffles with whipped almond breeze topping i made for a little boy whose parents were trying to control his asthma with diet.
he said they were 'magical'
i thought they were gross!
oh, and sauteed aloe vera..
seashanty said:
... oh, and sauteed aloe vera.
And how was that???
I do drink aloe vera mixed with OJ but never have eaten it or had it alone.

We had a guest who was on a raw diet. Nothing cooked, processed, or altered from it's original state. That meant: no eggs (would have to be cooked to eat), no bread (same reason), no yogurt (altered state and heat was used to make it), no cereal, nothing that one would usually associate with breakfast. Obviously no meat. So she got fruit...lots of fruit!!! Water only. No juice, tea, coffee, hot cocoa, milk. Water. Fruit.
We serve dinner to our guests. She got a salad with homemade dressing, almonds that hadn't been toasted and carrot shavings. Topped it all off with more fruit for dessert, and THAT WAS IT.
PS. It was by choice that she eats like this..
Most raw diet folks will allow for slight temperature increases in their food, like up to 120 degrees. I had the name of a book somewhere around here but I can't find it now, suggested to me by a guest who was trying to stay on that sort of diet.

PS. It was by choice that she eats like this..
I served nuts, fruits, carrots, broccoli, raisins... cannot remember what else now except that the first one was a multiple night who repeated and I had to inwardly chuckle when he requested some of my bread and muffins! I had plumped the raisins for the second one - a lady - and she ate everything except the plumped raisins - all I did was soak them in water. Her husband ate real food and made sure I knew he wanted real food.

What is spicy hot chocolate? How do you make it?.
sandynn said:
What is spicy hot chocolate? How do you make it?
Make homemade hot chocolate (recipes are easy to find, but it's basically two parts sugar to 1 part cocoa powder, pinch of salt, some water... boil on stove for a few minutes, add milk) and add some instant coffee powder, some cinnamon, and some cayenne pepper.
When I tried it I thought I was a little heavy handed with the cayenne (I wasn't measuring the spices)... but mmmmm it was good.
When I try something and it comes out really good we tend to say, "Damn, she can cook!" But that's kinda vulgar, so I switched to what a friend says, "...And the angels sang!" But this breakfast was so good we said, "And the angels said, 'Dang, she can cook!'"
=)
Kk.

After an 8 day stay, I ran out of ideas so quickly looked up a breakfast recipe and came up with "Apple Brie Quesadillas" which I served with scrambled eggs and salsa.
This recipe my dh did not like but the guests (the guinea pigs) loved it. I haven't made it again since but hope to again soon.

What is spicy hot chocolate? How do you make it?.
sandynn said:
What is spicy hot chocolate? How do you make it?
Make homemade hot chocolate (recipes are easy to find, but it's basically two parts sugar to 1 part cocoa powder, pinch of salt, some water... boil on stove for a few minutes, add milk) and add some instant coffee powder, some cinnamon, and some cayenne pepper.
When I tried it I thought I was a little heavy handed with the cayenne (I wasn't measuring the spices)... but mmmmm it was good.
When I try something and it comes out really good we tend to say, "Damn, she can cook!" But that's kinda vulgar, so I switched to what a friend says, "...And the angels sang!" But this breakfast was so good we said, "And the angels said, 'Dang, she can cook!'"
=)
Kk.
Sounds good but you have to be careful with the Cayenne Pepper for people with bell pepper allergy
sad_smile.gif

I think of adventurous as something out of the ordinary vs. cooking for a dietary restriction...like something way over the top. I don't think I've made anything that really qualifies yet
regular_smile.gif

Back