What was he thinking???

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooseberry

Reaction score
OK, last night really put the icing on the cake.....
Guest called that they were late...no problem.
We were just ready to go to be when they arrived, but since we left a note on the door we didn't bother getting dressed and back out.
I did notice the young boywalking around the house a little suspicious....like he was scoping it out. I told DH about it but he just said to ignore it. OK.
At 1:30 AM I wake up to the sounds of a ATV coming down the road, thinking who would ride their ATV at this time...I had another late check in and thought
that it might been them on a motocycle...so I get up to see if it was them. What I the saw about shot me trough the roof.....the young boy had taken it upon himself to help himself to MY ATV and took it for a Joy ride, just returning.
whattha.gif

I went to get DH and together we went upstairs waking the parents letting them know about their childs adventures.
I never had to deal with anything like this, I hated to wake them at this time in the morning, but I think in such an situation we just ca't wait until AM.
The parents were very perceptive and appologetic. We worked everything out in the AM and the child apollogized.
But my god, what was he thinking?????
smileystooges.gif

We just had anothe 18 YO die last week since he did not wear a helmet and rolled his ATV in a corner....
My keys are coming in every time from now on.

Believe me, it it is out in the eyes of a guest, someone (not everyone) will take it that it is their for the taking... With the keys in it, you bet that is excactly what he thought. If it is not for the guest use, lock it up and out of their site.
Twice lately we had a problem with one of our guests thinking an open spot in the garage is for them. Daughter comes home from work and stomps in twice now - someone is in my spot.
angry_smile.gif
Years ago we had a private or reserved sign above our garage doors, they flew away during one of the storms and we have just forgotten to replace them - we will do so ASAP. All I need is for a oversize vehicle to think they can fit!
cry_smile.gif

In our State this past weekend a 12year old girl wenr over a high wall on an ATV. The week before 2 kids were riding one on the railroad tracks, hit the trestle and went over. The young girl was killed. The boy survived.
Kids & ATVs are not a good mix. So glad all is well. The key is what would have gotten you in a fix - otherwise it was stolen....

If it was my kid...grounded for LIFE, apology in person, HUGE TIP, written apology when we returned home and sending his pennies to replace gas. How could they not know their child was not in their room? I don't understand parents like this...The thought to do that would not even enter my kid's minds...Makes you wonder what kind of trouble they are at home if they are willing to cross boundaries of a complete stranger like that.

The question you should be asking is why was the key left in such an easy to find location.

The key? She lives in the bush in Alaska, you don't lock stuff up. You can also walk around with loaded fire arms, that is what I would show up to the breakfast table wearing and lean over the kids chair.
I would be totally ticked off. 1:30am would really put me over the edge! Like no one would hear an ATV at 130am?

The key? She lives in the bush in Alaska, you don't lock stuff up. You can also walk around with loaded fire arms, that is what I would show up to the breakfast table wearing and lean over the kids chair.
I would be totally ticked off. 1:30am would really put me over the edge! Like no one would hear an ATV at 130am?.
I also understood the key being in it. I know many in this town and around the State who never take the key out of the car ignition. The problem with the key being in it though is that if the stupid kid had done something REAL stupid and gotten hurt, she would have been cooked because the key was there. No matter that the kid should be carrying his butt home in a sling for even considering taking a joy ride. Just being out of the house at that hour in the bush is bad enough. I am with you, my kid would not be seeing the light of day before graduating for college! Middle son & buddies raided soneone's liquor cabinet and went to an away basketball game (they did at least have a designated driver). I was called to come get him. On the way home the only thing he asked was, "How long will I be grounded?" I had not said a word.

Thank you for this thread. This another reason why we don't have to allow kids at our place.
thumbs_up.gif
However, there are also less-than-bright adults who would have done the same thing. We have a UTV (a Polaris Ranger: like an ATV, but it looks more like a small pickup). We normally just leave the keys in the ignition, but I guess I may rethink that.

I am picking my jaw up off the floor. That is unbelievable.
You said he's a young boy. About how old?

I would be totally ticked off. 1:30am would really put me over the edge! Like no one would hear an ATV at 130am?.
Thank you Joe for making a point :)
We have lived here in the bush for 17 years!!!!!
And never ever did we have to lock our door or take keys out of our vehicles. Even at the store, windows down, key in the ignition.
Key or not, the child had no business taken the ATV....

Thank you for this thread. This another reason why we don't have to allow kids at our place.
thumbs_up.gif
However, there are also less-than-bright adults who would have done the same thing. We have a UTV (a Polaris Ranger: like an ATV, but it looks more like a small pickup). We normally just leave the keys in the ignition, but I guess I may rethink that..
It is sad, but from now on our keys coming in the house....

Wow! Thank goodness he wasn't injured. That could have been a real mess.
What could somebody even see up there at that time of night?

And never ever did we have to lock our door or take keys out of our vehicles. Even at the store, windows down, key in the ignition.
In 1994 when we were doing our house hunting, we were in the county seat of a county about 60 miles from here on a locely summer day. Parked on the street was a brand new convertible with the top down, no one in sight, and the keys in the ignition. We looked at each other and wondered if the owner would have made it to the corner in Chicago before it was stolen.

What could somebody even see up there at that time of night?.
Alaska is the land of the midnight sun! I doubt if it was dark.
gillumhouse said:
Alaska is the land of the midnight sun! I doubt if it was dark.
Exactly........It was bright as day...AM, PM, what is the difference??? haha

What could somebody even see up there at that time of night?.
I am glad he did not hurt himself.
Just last week a 16 YO boy from Texas got killed . Going too fast around a corner on a gravel road, lost controll and rolled...and of course NO HELMET!!!!!!!
My kids are not allowd riding with out a helmet.
That kid could still have been alive.
However, I did have a talk with the boy and hope he thinks a little more next time.

In 1994 when we were doing our house hunting, we were in the county seat of a county about 60 miles from here on a locely summer day. Parked on the street was a brand new convertible with the top down, no one in sight, and the keys in the ignition. We looked at each other and wondered if the owner would have made it to the corner in Chicago before it was stolen.
gillumhouse said:
In 1994 when we were doing our house hunting, we were in the county seat of a county about 60 miles from here on a locely summer day. Parked on the street was a brand new convertible with the top down, no one in sight, and the keys in the ignition. We looked at each other...
then we looked at the convertible and before you could say Jack Robinson, we were spending the rest of the day house hunting in open air splendor.
wink_smile.gif

Back