What was your memory of you first stay at a bed and breakfast?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandynn

Reaction score
I thought if might be fun to share.
I must say that 15 years ago I stayed in my first bed and breakfast in Maine. It had a suite with a real wood burning fire place and I loved it. I loved that this place had a down comforter. I was so sheltered then, I had never slept with real down. I loved it too. I also remembered walking in the door and it smelling like maple. That was the things I remembered the most about my first stay. I was hooked from then on.

Does anyone have some brain food...I am not sure I can remember which was first?
Is it still around? That is another question.

Does anyone have some brain food...I am not sure I can remember which was first?
Is it still around? That is another question..

I am not sure why I remember it but I do and I remember the second it was also in Maine (same trip). It is not there anymore. The first one I stayed in was ran by a single lady and it was so nice. The second was ran by a single male. It was also nice. It was fun for me to see how different they were. The man also taught classed on innkeeping. This was even before websites.

Ours was more than 10 years ago but I remember it like yesterday. It was for our first wedding anniversary and hubs was traveling a lot back then so I wanted a nice trip for just the two of us. I knew what area I wanted to head for and found bbonline.com when I was searching online.
This was a 4 room b&b, cute country farmhouse and I chose our particular room because it had a whirlpool tub. We arrived and this innkeeper was just one of the sweetest and nicest people you can imagine. She fussed over us so much because it was our anniversary, gave us champagne & chocolates and planned breakfast for two out on the porch just for us. Over the course of the weekend we got her to tell us the history of her place and she pulled out the photos to show us the major gutting that she'd done to convert an old bar into a b&b.
She was just so inspiring, she was truly living our her lifelong dream to run a b&b. She and her husband had only been married a few years, it was a second marriage for both of them, and they were just so happy. It left a major impression on us, and planted the seed for "someday" and "b&b" for us.
Flash forward 2 years, we had moved out of state but were heading back in that direction and decided to make another visit. We actually booked online and arrived to find the husband (whom we had not met but had seen pictures of on the first visit) waiting for us. His wife had died very suddenly just a few months before (some rare type of cancer, I think)...she first felt sick and then was gone in a matter of days. This man was just broken, just so sad and devastated. We spent a lot of time with him on our visit, talking about his wife and the place she'd created. He was having difficulty but he wanted to continue running the b&b because it had been such a passion for her and he wanted to honor her in that way.
Just two years ago we once again had occasion to be in that city and went back for a final visit. The gentleman had remarried and was now running the b&b with his new wife, the place is doing really well and it was nice to see that life does go on even when it seems impossible. I really think meeting that woman changed our lives.

Ours was more than 10 years ago but I remember it like yesterday. It was for our first wedding anniversary and hubs was traveling a lot back then so I wanted a nice trip for just the two of us. I knew what area I wanted to head for and found bbonline.com when I was searching online.
This was a 4 room b&b, cute country farmhouse and I chose our particular room because it had a whirlpool tub. We arrived and this innkeeper was just one of the sweetest and nicest people you can imagine. She fussed over us so much because it was our anniversary, gave us champagne & chocolates and planned breakfast for two out on the porch just for us. Over the course of the weekend we got her to tell us the history of her place and she pulled out the photos to show us the major gutting that she'd done to convert an old bar into a b&b.
She was just so inspiring, she was truly living our her lifelong dream to run a b&b. She and her husband had only been married a few years, it was a second marriage for both of them, and they were just so happy. It left a major impression on us, and planted the seed for "someday" and "b&b" for us.
Flash forward 2 years, we had moved out of state but were heading back in that direction and decided to make another visit. We actually booked online and arrived to find the husband (whom we had not met but had seen pictures of on the first visit) waiting for us. His wife had died very suddenly just a few months before (some rare type of cancer, I think)...she first felt sick and then was gone in a matter of days. This man was just broken, just so sad and devastated. We spent a lot of time with him on our visit, talking about his wife and the place she'd created. He was having difficulty but he wanted to continue running the b&b because it had been such a passion for her and he wanted to honor her in that way.
Just two years ago we once again had occasion to be in that city and went back for a final visit. The gentleman had remarried and was now running the b&b with his new wife, the place is doing really well and it was nice to see that life does go on even when it seems impossible. I really think meeting that woman changed our lives..
Gee thanks Innsider I needed a good cry today!

• Palm Springs - but it was not a typical B&B, it had outdoor corridors and served a continental brekkie. So imo it was not a B&B, altho it was called one. Can't remember much else.
  • The Bavarian town of Leavenworth WA a German B&B. An anniversary and we went snowmobiling, I recall nothing about that B&B other than it was right in town and we walked to dinner.
  • In the Blue Mountains of New South Wales Australia - I don't recall anything other than it was below zero temps (another anniversary) and there were sheep outside that I thought was kinda cool in case I couldn't sleep.
  • In Canberra ACT - it was bed and breakfast and dinner package. I remember the prix fixe dinner was very nice.
  • San Juan Islands - package (anniversary) and the one and only time I ever ordered a massage for my husband who to this day will not forgive me for it. His and hers. It was NOT a nice surprise. Kayaking the islands and hiking. Again, there for recreational stuff.
  • Manresa Castle in Port Townsend WA - an innmate on the forum's hubby has done their website photos - I learned after meeting her here. Another anniversary...hm seems to be a pattern. Continental breakfast, small hot room overly soft squishy bed - not comfortable stay at all. Nothing to write home about. Location to Pt Townsend was the main draw there.
  • Log Castle B&B on Whidbey Island in the Puget Sound - owned by Congressman Jack Metcalf who rented it out to guests part of the year and had a hired innkeeper (which I didn't know til I was there), Communal breakfast family style - this other loud couple from TX spent the entire breakfast asking the cook/innkeeper questions about herself and ignoring the other 6 people sitting there with them which put us all off. There was also a dead Orca that washed up on the beach and stank to high heaven.
So for the first B&B stays there was not much that stood out in my mind - I was there to do something in the area, not a destination B&B. Thanks for bringing this up, it has me thinking!! These were from 15 to 21 years ago! My more recent stays I can recall more...

It was 36 years ago. Maine. Lovely place, still there.
I remember the homey atmosphere and the elegance of the old building. But most of all, the way the innkeepers made me - a young solo traveler who'd never been in a B&B before - feel like I belonged.

Our first was the Black Friar Inn in Bar Harbor and I guess it was 27 years ago now. WOW..time sure flys by!!! The original owners had just purchased and converted it to a B & B.
I just remember the warm and cozy feeling of the place and the innkeepers were so friendly and genuine and kind. I don't remember much of what they said, or what we did, but remember saying "this is what I want to do someday."

London in 1978 I was 7 month pregnant with my 3 rd daughter. We lived in Portugal and flew in into Lake in Heath R A F base, took a train into London. The room was on the 1st floor ,very large with a huge staine glass window, bath in suite. Breakfast was in the basement. I brought a bag of food with me (raisons,dried fruit,crackers,cheese whiz,prune juice and O.J. in cans,etc) for the children mostly and it came in very handy. London at this time was mostly pub food. I returned 4 yrs ago (4th daughter had a semester there) I found lots of sidewalk cafes this time...so nice. In 1978 we went onto Germany before retuning home to Portugal....Mary in Bridgewater

Early 80s I think. It is summer and it is dark so it must have been late (especially for B & B) and we are driving east in PA I think on US Rt 30 and I saw a lighted sign The Millstone Inn and said to DH - if they availability, I want to stay there. He dutifully turned around and I knocked on the door. We have 4 kids and if you have availbility, we would like to stay here tonight. (Shows how much I knew) We never did see the wife - she was at work. They had 2 rooms, one with twin beds and he put a cot up for the 3rd kid. It had been the banker's house and the safe had been in the room tha t was part of the Master bedroom and there was a daybed in there where the safe had been - chief troublemaker went in there (she is now a cop)! DH is reading the rack card as he asks me how much was it? $99. WHAT??? we paid $99 and all we are going to get for breakfast is juice, coffee and sweet rolls?? (Continental plus breakfast according to the rack card.) Breakfast was at least 4 kinds of muffins, 2 or 3 kinds of breads, fruit, coffee for us, milk for the brats, jams and cream cheese - we did not walk out, we rolled out of that B & B. I was hooked. (BTW - I tried the Continental Plus wehn I started. Guests were disappointed and it was much harder than doing a full breakast - I now suspect he bought his stuff.) The youngest asked if he could go downstairs and watch TV - not knowing how things worked, I told him they could ask if it was OK and if the man said it was, they could. They did.

Wir bieten schöne inoffizielle brautkleider, Knielange Brautkleider zu günstige Preisen online. Custom kleider design nach dem Foto. So einfach finden Sie Ihr Traum Brautkleid.
[h2] NEWS [/h2]
kaufen Brautkleider Online in den Philippinen Brautkleider 2011
Viele einer Braut Anforderungen etwas älteren für mein Kind Hochzeit und wenn du gesegnet bist du vielleicht einer Person Omas Hochzeitskleid abendkleider abschluss ball kleider , die definitiv atemberaubend und in wunderbaren Problem haben. Oder vielleicht sind Sie zweifellos einem Trödelladen Junkie und besitzen entdeckt eine ehrliche versteckt Juwel. Mit einem klassischen Bekleidung ist nicht nur das, was einige alte ... kann es etwas Außergewöhnliches sein!
Wenn Sie derzeit nicht über altmodische Hochzeitskleid, sondern sind uns bewusst, dass es die Art für Sie verfügbar sein, und sie sind bereit, versuchen die meisten perfekte Kostüm zu finden, zunächst zu berücksichtigen, was genau klassischen Zeiten könnte der perfekte Anzug in Ihrem Fall. Du wirst Outfits auf der früh um 1900 finden Sie als vermisst, weil Seventies, wenn die antiken Einblick Sie in Bezug auf, müssen die. Wenn Sie in progress Verfolgung haben, überprüfen Sie das Outfit sicher zu sein, ist es am besten für Sie. Ändern einer retro-Kostüm ist in der Regel schwierig, im Falle der Aufnahme werden vom oder vielleicht die textile verfärben wird oder vielleicht teilen, könnte es schwierig sein sich zu bessern. Falls Sie bekommen eine Tracht on line neigen, ernsthaft über die Maßen, da retro Größen werden nicht die gleichen sein, da heute Modelle. Für diejenigen, die Ihren aktuellen Herz-Kreislauf-System-Sammlung, online shop brautkleider online shop brautkleider um das Kleid haben, können Sie ein neues maßgeschneidertes Kleid Künstler und auch Schneiderin genau, abendkleider günstig abendkleider günstig wer wohl schaffen könnte Kleider, oder du wirst in der Lage ist, die Abfälle, die traditionelle Kleidung zusätzliche in einer neueren Variante.
Viele Hochzeitskleid Geschäfte nehmen Kleidungsstücke, die Ihre Ruck in eine andere Zeit sind. Wenn Sie nicht bekommen, ein Kleid, das eigentlich in den nächsten Jahren möchten, können Sie in der Lage sein, den richtigen Outfit, brautmode das von diesem beeinflusst wird. Labeling wird Ihnen helfen, viel einfacher einwandfrei fit sein, um die Physis, ballkleider kaufen wo es wahrscheinlich eine geringere Menge an Sorgen mit Fragen an Ihre Bedürfnisse anpassen zu Wege Aussehen schön auf dem Werktag.
Sobald Sie actuallyhave denen klassische Kleidung, beachten Sie die anderen Details der jeweiligen Periode, Schmuck abendkleid abendmode online shop abendkleid online shop abendkleid, Make-up brautmode onlineshop brautmode onlineshop, Haare und Schuhe. Während Sie die Kirche Gang spazieren gehen brautkleid für schwangere , können Ihre Freunde und Familie glauben, dass sie zu einer anderen Zeit wurden überwunden.
online shops abendkleider

Back