what was your most embarrassing moment as an innkeeper?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What was your most embarrassing moment as an innkeeper? I think this will be fun to share, I look forward to hearing your stories. I do not have my own bed and breakfast yet, but I am working on it. You guys have some pretty interesting lives.
Yes my avatar is who you think it is, that is where i live, some trivia for you.

Welcome to the forum!
I already know the answer to that trivia question as I have been there, I will let the other try to figure it out. There are a couple B&B's there. We stayed at one. There is also a place in the UK with the same name. In fact, oddly enough we have guests from there THIS EVENING!

Welcome! My most embarrassing moment was when we first opened. I was going to the room to do "turn down" service. I thought the guests had gone. Well that was my first mistake. The second...not knocking on the door and saying "housekeeping". You of course know the rest...they had already done their turn down and were well into it:) Ooops...sorry and I am gone!!!
From then on I ALWAYS knocked on the door!!!! Lesson well learned:)
embaressed_smile.gif

Our most embarrassing moment was when our guests all came down to no breakfast. That is because we had set our alarm clock wrong and somehow must have been overly tired. Didn't hear a thing.
It was just one couple that morning and luckily they did have a sense of humour. We ended up giving them a much better rate and well they haven't put a bad review up yet. That was 2 years ago.
Lois

I made banana bread the night before and served with breakfast. That evening, I was getting it for my husband and took a slice. :barf: I had forgotten the sugar, it went to the squirrels. Needless to say, the next morning when I saw the guests I had to tell them sorry.

I thought I had posted this before but it seems that I haven't. Most embarrassing story....Our first season, had a couple staying with us for their anniversary. The first night they were with us, the house phone starts ringing. It's cabin #1, their toilet is clogged. So I go out to errrr...take a look and fix it. I walk in and they are both lying in bed w/ sheets pulled up, watching TV. I sheepishly walk past them and into the bathroom. When we opened my DW had picked up these dainty little plungers for each room. Well when I went to go use it, the thing was too small to fit the odd shaped opening on the toilets we installed....nothing happened...no effectinve plunging.
Fortunately we had a "real" plunger in our house, so I walk out of the bathroom, past the anniversary couple in bed watching TV and say "I'll be right back, this plunger is not working." I run back to the house, grab the real plunger while sputtering to DW about the worthless little plungers. Walk by the anniversary couple for the third time. Plunge away and it works great, but in my exhuberance I splashed a bunch of water out onto the floor and the bathmat. So out I go again past the anniversary couple still in bed watching TV carring the "real" plunger and the bathmat, and again have to say "I'll be right back."
I run back to the house and grab a new bathmat and cleaning supplies...back past the anniversary couple still in bed watching tv. I clean the floor up and put the new bathmat down and make my 6th and final pass by the anniversary couple who are still in bed watching TV.
I thought for sure we'd never see them again. They came back several years in a row.....I was still mortified.

Couple broke the bed on their wedding night. More embarrassing for them than us, altho DH had to go in and do a temp fix. We got the call at about 2am. I told them, this will be a great story next year on your anniversary!
embaressed_smile.gif

Back