What will you do for me?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
This is a general rant. Not directed at this forum or any members, but directed at everyone I deal with constantly, from local chambers, CVB's to directories and grass roots organizations for innkeeping.
I just want to ask. I am doing EVERYTHING FOR EVERYONE ELSE. What will you do for ME? Will you link to MY website or blog? Will you promote MY inn? Will you mention US in an article? Will you recipricate US on a flyer that you expect us to give to every guest? Will you give MY guests a discount? Will you buy ME a ticket to a featured speaker dinner where I am promoting YOUR book? Will you give ME a discount since I send all my guests to you? Will you stop begging ME for sponsorship and freebies? Will you make ME the featured listing? Will you send people to ME? Will you send ME a thank you note? Will you invite ME to do something in tourism because WE know our stuff? Will you stop charging US the full amount, when you expect US to discount everyone? Will you recommend US so we can stay in business too? What will you do for ME?
Nothing. Just as I thought.
rant over...back to business... THE BUCK STOPS HERE. RIGHT NOW. I AM GETTING FED UP.

Don't blame you one bit. We get support from the local wineries, and that is all but is very valuable to me. At least they give back.
Riki

Hugs to you, hope you feel better now
wink_smile.gif

I'm with ya kiddo! It comes at us from all angles doesn't it!
Not long ago our local electric co called wanting a discount for their corp exec. , I wanted so very much to ask for a discount on my electric bill for being a loyal customer. Same for the local hospital... gee I wonder if they would give ME a discount in the ER??

This is a tough one. We get a lot of the gimme gimme as well, but we also had a restaurant comp 6 local B&B's dinner for 2 (we went together). We've gotten a $75 GC each year we've been here from another restaurant. A boat tour gave us a free ride and another one has offered each year but we just haven't been able to make it.
I think it depends on the area and whether or not anyone thinks there is any good in scratching the other back!

You have to have a counter - ie I do this for you then you do this for me. I try and make things mutually beneficial ie I advertise sugar therapy cookery school and bettys cookery school and they advertise me as a place to stay. It costs all all nothing and we all benefit.

You have to have a counter - ie I do this for you then you do this for me. I try and make things mutually beneficial ie I advertise sugar therapy cookery school and bettys cookery school and they advertise me as a place to stay. It costs all all nothing and we all benefit..
You have to have a counter - ie I do this for you then you do this for me. I try and make things mutually beneficial ie I advertise sugar therapy cookery school and bettys cookery school and they advertise me as a place to stay. It costs all all nothing and we all benefit.
I agree.
Me today at the front door "I would love to put those rack cards out for guests, now of course you will also put mine out...here they are" Yeah guess what we ALSO are a business and need referrals and business, imagine that! I have been sending people down there - they said it is slow and I said "Good thing I have been sending so many of our guests to you!"
To the town and the county - THIS INN BRINGS IN MONEY TO THIS COMMUNITY< REALIZE THIS< THINK ABOUT IT<WITHOUT US - how many dozens upon dozens of couples would not be here at all spending money the entire time (those just here for an anniv or getaway who never even heard of this place!)

You have to have a counter - ie I do this for you then you do this for me. I try and make things mutually beneficial ie I advertise sugar therapy cookery school and bettys cookery school and they advertise me as a place to stay. It costs all all nothing and we all benefit..
Exactly!
Unfortunately, what we've come across are places that want to do the cross-promotion and then you go their website and they are saying things like, 'Our favorite place to stay is...' and it's not me, it's someone else! If you ask everyone, you have to list everyone!

It does often feel like we are the ox in Death Valley and the vultures are picking our bones with the organizations asking for freebies. I just tossed a BMW request for a donation for their 39th anniv rally in the trash (however the organizers of another one several years ago were having their 40th and THEY came for one night and the winners of the package came back for 1 night (paid) and brought another paying room with them) because I rarely get a BMW rider. More likely to get a Gold Wing. USUALLY, orgs wanting donations are things that suck the life out of us with no return.
Actually, in typing this, I decided to LOOK at the letter again. Hmmm. It is the weekend between a basketball event I am hoping to get something from and the big biker fest. I may reconsider this one....
I have received a free massage to show me what she did (the young lady who does my in-house massages), the CVB (not in my county but the one i belong to) has helped me with a few things because I am willing to help her also. Our Tourism has done things for our Assoc and has homored me in several instances - they also know if they need info to call here. My City Admin is concerned about what will happen to the B & B if I croak because they DO recognize what my 3 rooms does for the City (in addition to what I do) and they were quite willing to have someone come open the house for my guests arriving before I could ever get back.

I got nothing for promoting places here. Zip, nada, zilch, zero. I even had the director from a big arts venue come for a meeting and promise discounted tickets or a package for my guests...it never materialized. The C&VB did nothing to promote B&Bs/inns here and now there is only one. They did not appreciate all the marketing that I did for this city. So it goes....

Back