What works for some doesn't for others...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Again, visiting other innkeepers from this forum is so nice, not only can you now picture them in their setting, but it really helps to understand why and how they do things. We always say we are all different, and we all operate our inns differently, but until we see why others do what they do, we cannot see past our own eyes.
This is the reason we always say to visit as many inns as possible, before opening your inn and during as there are so many different ideas on how things can be done. One might work for one that will not work for you or anyone else. Lay out, number of rooms, how much help you have, region, niche, occupancy rates all impact your M.O.
I mention from this forum for a reason - the fellowship with other innkeepers is terrific, you can let your guard down and share with each other. You can't do that with other inns unless you have a personal relationship with them. Like we always say, no one is going to be as open with you about the REAL day to day workings of a B&B - the behind the scenes stuff.

Absolutely!
It's a funny dynamic when you travel to another B&B as an innkeeper. Some innkeepers are as open as can be wanting to know does this work where you are, how do you handle this and trading war stories. Others clam right up. I've never noticed us being treated 'differently,' tho. No special services, no extras (unless it's an innmate).

and that is because the forum contains the greatest innkeepers. :) Sure we're still all different, but the best!
This is why those who have false pretenses do not stick around long. People are honest and open here and for those who are offended by it, there are 99 more who appreciate it. We can all buy a "How to run an inn for dummies" book and read the same stuff repeatedly, this place is real! Which is why it is nice to meet in person.

and that is because the forum contains the greatest innkeepers. :) Sure we're still all different, but the best!
This is why those who have false pretenses do not stick around long. People are honest and open here and for those who are offended by it, there are 99 more who appreciate it. We can all buy a "How to run an inn for dummies" book and read the same stuff repeatedly, this place is real! Which is why it is nice to meet in person..
So I am curious..would you be willing to share at least the state where you visited an innmate??? And am so glad you enjoyed it too!!!!

Absolutely!
It's a funny dynamic when you travel to another B&B as an innkeeper. Some innkeepers are as open as can be wanting to know does this work where you are, how do you handle this and trading war stories. Others clam right up. I've never noticed us being treated 'differently,' tho. No special services, no extras (unless it's an innmate)..
You're so right.
I travel just as much for pleasure as I do as an innsitter. And you're definitely right on the clamming up.
I used to always let the innkeeper know that I'm an innkeeper, too. Now I find that they are generally much more relaxed - and I get the real guest treatment - if they don't know. So I usually keep it to myself.
Until check-out, that is. There's always something truly wonderful about every B&B. When you have the chance to tell them how much you appreciate whatever that wonderful thing is, they love you.
But upfront? Well, as much as that is my general nature, I've learned to keep what I do to myself when traveling. Not unless you want the clamshell shutting down tight!

Absolutely!
It's a funny dynamic when you travel to another B&B as an innkeeper. Some innkeepers are as open as can be wanting to know does this work where you are, how do you handle this and trading war stories. Others clam right up. I've never noticed us being treated 'differently,' tho. No special services, no extras (unless it's an innmate)..
You're so right.
I travel just as much for pleasure as I do as an innsitter. And you're definitely right on the clamming up.
I used to always let the innkeeper know that I'm an innkeeper, too. Now I find that they are generally much more relaxed - and I get the real guest treatment - if they don't know. So I usually keep it to myself.
Until check-out, that is. There's always something truly wonderful about every B&B. When you have the chance to tell them how much you appreciate whatever that wonderful thing is, they love you.
But upfront? Well, as much as that is my general nature, I've learned to keep what I do to myself when traveling. Not unless you want the clamshell shutting down tight!
We rarely told innkeepers at the B & B we were visiting...that we too were innkeepers. I think this puts many folks on the defensive and that is the last thing we wanted. However, as the stay progressed, sometimes we did let it out that we were. I really didn't want most to know. We now mostly use hotels:)

Absolutely!
You're so right.
We rarely told innkeepers at the B & B we were visiting...that we too were innkeepers. I think this puts many folks on the defensive and that is the last thing we wanted. However, as the stay progressed, sometimes we did let it out that we were. I really didn't want most to know. We now mostly use hotels:)
Hotels are a funny thing in that way. I never stay with the big guys if I can avoid it.
But I do often stay in boutique hotels and there I have never found the clam treatment.
I think it's generally because even a moderate increase in size - to say 20 to 40 rooms - changes just how close they are to it all. Often there's someone else between them and the guests.
So in those midsized boutique spots, I find that I often get free upgrades and such if I tell them upfront (or ask if there's a discount to the trade). And usually before I leave, the GM wants to know if I'll do a trade, asks me to stay in touch, blah blah blah.
As with so many things in this industry, size makes such a difference.

This is why those who have false pretenses do not stick around long. People are honest and open here and for those who are offended by it, there are 99 more who appreciate it. We can all buy a "How to run an inn for dummies" book and read the same stuff repeatedly, this place is real! Which is why it is nice to meet in person..
So I am curious..would you be willing to share at least the state where you visited an innmate??? And am so glad you enjoyed it too!!!!
I went from no snow to snow. I awoke to snow to drive home and it was 57 degrees here.

Absolutely!
You're so right.
catlady said:
I don't tell non innmates I am an innkeeper, in fact I prefer the other inn to not know, or the other guests. I want to see how they operate on a regular basis. I also only want to talk shop with innmates, not nons. I feel like I am imposing on them or they on my time otherwise, but visiting forum buddies is like meeting long lost friends. :)

I went from no snow to snow. I awoke to snow to drive home and it was 57 degrees here.
Well that keeps me guessing...ha ha:)

Absolutely!
You're so right.
Hotels are a funny thing in that way. I never stay with the big guys if I can avoid it.
But I do often stay in boutique hotels and there I have never found the clam treatment.
I think it's generally because even a moderate increase in size - to say 20 to 40 rooms - changes just how close they are to it all. Often there's someone else between them and the guests.
So in those midsized boutique spots, I find that I often get free upgrades and such if I tell them upfront (or ask if there's a discount to the trade). And usually before I leave, the GM wants to know if I'll do a trade, asks me to stay in touch, blah blah blah.
This is interesting. We generally stay in places that are under 10 rooms, but sometimes there may be up to 20. RARELY have any of these places, even under 10 rooms had what I would call 'hands on' innkeepers, that is, innkeepers who cook or clean. Mostly what those innkeepers did was meet and greet. It was all very shallow, tho, like the only reason they came over to meet and greet was to preserve the semblance of a 'B&B' atmosphere. In many cases it was obvious the B&B side of things was an afterthought to a larger business plan or simply a way to pay for the building.
Of course that's the way I look at it because we spend so much of our time on the guest relations side of things. We're chatting from 7 AM to check-out and then during the afternoon and evening there's always one of us around to help with dinner plans, etc.
I find there are several different kinds of B&B model out there and I don't care for the model that is just about the money changing hands.

Absolutely!
You're so right.
This is interesting. We generally stay in places that are under 10 rooms, but sometimes there may be up to 20. RARELY have any of these places, even under 10 rooms had what I would call 'hands on' innkeepers, that is, innkeepers who cook or clean. Mostly what those innkeepers did was meet and greet. It was all very shallow, tho, like the only reason they came over to meet and greet was to preserve the semblance of a 'B&B' atmosphere. In many cases it was obvious the B&B side of things was an afterthought to a larger business plan or simply a way to pay for the building.
Of course that's the way I look at it because we spend so much of our time on the guest relations side of things. We're chatting from 7 AM to check-out and then during the afternoon and evening there's always one of us around to help with dinner plans, etc.
I find there are several different kinds of B&B model out there and I don't care for the model that is just about the money changing hands.
Morticia said:
Agreed. And you feel it right away when the inn is only about making money.

Absolutely!
You're so right.
Morticia said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
You get the "Here is your room" or "There is your room" and "Breakfast will be served at..." and they walk away. I agree with those sentiments. I think guests feel cheated in smaller B&B's when they don't receive a hospitable welcome.

Absolutely!
You're so right.
Morticia said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
You get the "Here is your room" or "There is your room" and "Breakfast will be served at..." and they walk away. I agree with those sentiments. I think guests feel cheated in smaller B&B's when they don't receive a hospitable welcome.
Yep.
I know a 20-room inn owned by a couple who just can't figure out why they get bad reviews over and over again.
They're both about as warm as a wet noodle. They list themselves in all the B&B directories even though they don't serve any breakfast whatsoever. They yell at guests who come near their home on the property. Like, on a regular basis.
And everyone who goes there can tell that they only care about one thing: getting money. They bought the place not to be hosts per se but to have a huge property that was paid for by guest revenue. Hosting is not really their thing.
Of course, it has backfired on them tremendously. Folks go to B&Bs to get warm and intimate service. If they're not getting it, they're not happy.

May I hide this in here? V E N T
Okay so a whole house for a wedding...you know when Dec rolls round you think it will be okay, I mean, we have survived the whole year, right?
We are just not used to people with all their tons of crap everywhere.
I really do appreciate shorter stays for that reason, however...these folks are also a short stay yet they have commandeered every inch of every room (except one couple, their room is acceptable).
Who worries about toddlers when the parents themselves are the ones who bring a semi trailer of crap. Every inch of their room is BURIED. Again, back to "Why innkeepers should not watch the show 'Hoarders' on tv."
cry_smile.gif

The wedding was at 5pm, one room only now left (530pm) the room reeking of booze. I am sure the bride will appreciate them showing up late to her wedding. (yeah her sister). and wonder why we have issues with relatives.
They all have exchanged gifts and more junk - like gourmet candy apples with two bites out of them, bojangles chicken, news papers, boxes, more junk. I cannot handle this sort of thing. Food and stench and filth bother me!!!!
Now mind you I was going to NOT enter their rooms, which oddly enough they lock from the innkeepers - who hold the keys.
The smell of diapers in one is FANNNNNNNN TASTIC! Dirty socks on the ground and dirty diapers on the nightstand. mm mm good. Should the innkeeper be the one to walk through the room and collect the dirty diapers? No? You think not? Let them come back tonight to the festering stench of poop? I thought about it, but I can't do it, and what about the next guests? Albeit none of the radar for that room for a week or so...but still.
Tomorrow they all check out...tomorrow. 2rooms showed at 1230 and the others let them in, the rooms were locked of course, who knew they were ready? Certainly not the other guests. I hollered up the stairs "Is someone here to check in" - again, HERE I AM, FACE TO FACE MEET ME, DON'T MESS WITH MY HOUSE OR ME or else. (Those were the intox guests who left late. Again, weddings bring a volatile fire meets fuel scenario - relatives forced to be there for the happy occasion who have not seen others for years or even decades)
And this is without the bride actually getting ready here...the mother of the bride and fam are all here though. So I suppose it is the next best thing! (Picture me with a stupid irritated grin across my face)
smileystooges.gif

Absolutely!
You're so right.
Innkeeper To Go - don't you find that your best marketing tool is being a guest? I don't let them know who I am until I determine if I would like to work there or not. Innkeeping is such a personal thing - it is their house/home, business and so much a part of who they are - I feel that if I can't comfortably "step into their shoes" while they are gone it won't work for either of us. I usually feel some sort of connection to the people that decide to hire me and I think it goes both ways.
But as soon as I let them know who I am/what I do I have my brochures and references very available if they seem interested! I have gotten lots of jobs this way (and it all starts with a nice getaway vacation for me!)

Absolutely!
You're so right.
Innkeeper To Go - don't you find that your best marketing tool is being a guest? I don't let them know who I am until I determine if I would like to work there or not. Innkeeping is such a personal thing - it is their house/home, business and so much a part of who they are - I feel that if I can't comfortably "step into their shoes" while they are gone it won't work for either of us. I usually feel some sort of connection to the people that decide to hire me and I think it goes both ways.
But as soon as I let them know who I am/what I do I have my brochures and references very available if they seem interested! I have gotten lots of jobs this way (and it all starts with a nice getaway vacation for me!)
SuE do you have a website? I ask as I have received a couple emails of late from within our state from innsitters and links to their websites. Just simple one page websites with their bio and info on who they are and what they have done. I think if they had addressed me personally in the email "Mr & Mrs Joey Bloggs" it would have gone over better and I might have saved it vs Dear Innkeepers.
They did mention PAII endorsements etc. Just mentioning since you mentioned getting a feel for a place and the owners.

Okay so a whole house for a wedding...you know when Dec rolls round you think it will be okay, I mean, we have survived the whole year, right?
I really do appreciate shorter stays for that reason, however...these folks are also a short stay yet they have commandeered every inch of every room (except one couple, their room is acceptable).
Who worries about toddlers when the parents themselves are the ones who bring a semi trailer of crap. Every inch of their room is BURIED. Again, back to "Why innkeepers should not watch the show 'Hoarders' on tv."
cry_smile.gif

The wedding was at 5pm, one room only now left (530pm) the room reeking of booze. I am sure the bride will appreciate them showing up late to her wedding. (yeah her sister). and wonder why we have issues with relatives.
They all have exchanged gifts and more junk - like gourmet candy apples with two bites out of them, bojangles chicken, news papers, boxes, more junk. I cannot handle this sort of thing. Food and stench and filth bother me!!!!
Now mind you I was going to NOT enter their rooms, which oddly enough they lock from the innkeepers - who hold the keys.
The smell of diapers in one is FANNNNNNNN TASTIC! Dirty socks on the ground and dirty diapers on the nightstand. mm mm good. Should the innkeeper be the one to walk through the room and collect the dirty diapers? No? You think not? Let them come back tonight to the festering stench of poop? I thought about it, but I can't do it, and what about the next guests? Albeit none of the radar for that room for a week or so...but still.
Tomorrow they all check out...tomorrow. 2rooms showed at 1230 and the others let them in, the rooms were locked of course, who knew they were ready? Certainly not the other guests. I hollered up the stairs "Is someone here to check in" - again, HERE I AM, FACE TO FACE MEET ME, DON'T MESS WITH MY HOUSE OR ME or else. (Those were the intox guests who left late. Again, weddings bring a volatile fire meets fuel scenario - relatives forced to be there for the happy occasion who have not seen others for years or even decades)
And this is without the bride actually getting ready here...the mother of the bride and fam are all here though. So I suppose it is the next best thing! (Picture me with a stupid irritated grin across my face)
smileystooges.gif
Do you remember my whole house wedding group? I did have the bride here. Cleaning their rooms on Saturday morning while the bride had gone to get dressed elsewhere I hear one couple in the room overhead. Lovely. The whole house is hearing that, but they're all friends. Come to find out that couple had taken the duvets and stacked them all in their bed to make a nice nest, which I now had to thoroughly wash.
One room the bridesmaids had opened their suitcases and dumped them on the floor. I kid you not. Empty suitcases thrown on the bed, a variety of undies on the floor.
One room had a baby. Dirty diapers UNDER the bed.
I told the bride she had to book the whole house for 2 nights. Well, one couple couldn't come until Saturday but they worked that out by having a completely different couple come on Friday.
The bride took a sizeable chunk out of one of my dining room chairs by sitting cross legged with buckle shoes. (My daughter did that, too, but she was 5. And I still have the chair.)
And yet, on Sunday morning when they left, it looked as if no one had been here, save for the chair and all the laundry.

Absolutely!
You're so right.
suellen222 said:
Innkeeper To Go - don't you find that your best marketing tool is being a guest?
Absolutely. It's truly amazing how often, once they know I'm an innsitter, they start talking about taking a vacation and then pull out the schedule right then!
Innkeepers need breaks but are so afraid to end up with an innsitter from hell. When they know who you are - and know that you actually LIKE their inn - that fear just seems to disappear.

cry_smile.gif

smileystooges.gif
Groups are such nightmares and, yes, of course, they think nothing of just taking over completely and letting everyone else in. They think by renting the whole place that means they own it.
Wedding groups are nightmares with issues and drama. And, no, if someone were to tell me that they only had lovely groups and wonderful weddings, I would not believe them. Not for one minute.

Back