What works for you?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluedragonflyinn

Reaction score
Before we jump off and invest in marketing outside of our website and FB page, what works best for you? Air B&B, web, B&B.coms, etc?

Discover what is in your area then market to those particular interests. I am one who refuses to use OTAs, especially Air and Bkdotcon.
Interest specific is going to be less expensive and they are looking for what you have. For "scatter-gun" marketing I use BNB Finders - they are least expensive of the Directories but they have an excellent PR Dept. The others are out of my league financially and did not deliver anything.
I post on FB to keep in front of past guests - they either share or comment on my posts, and to have a presence. I have chargers for the electric cars. So when Tesla or Chevy do a post, I make a comment about having the chargers and then do a share with a comment. I tell then name of my B & B, my city/state, and what exit from wht Interstate highway. I have had people do a like to my comment - which means my commercial was seen at no cost to me.

I'm listed on Air with all my legal signage, and including my taxes. I don't get bookings. Mostly because it's full of illegals and tax dodging.
We use X and B but that's exactly it, we USE them, they don't use us. We give them limited inventory, hide which rooms is which, etc. So the product isn't the same. FBis a way to interact with people, it doesn't bring in customers. Web works best for us. Oh and TA is the worst bang for the buck... they just try to syphon guests away.

It's useful to do a search for accommodations in your area to see what comes up. More than likely, the first 5 paid listings will be for Airbnb, reviews, booking.com, Expedia, and things like that.
What you also want to check is where is your competition listed? You might want to be on the same sites.
We find the state website is useful. But your area might have a strong chamber of commerce or local marketing group.
BNB.com no longer offers a simple listing, it's now commission based on the reservations they push thru to you.

I think you're going to find that everyone is different, you have to try things and see what works for you. I think the balance you have to strike is how much effort are you willing to put into marketing to save you money. There are B&Bs near here who are very hands on like us (see below), there are others who are totally reliant on Bookingdotcom, take the 15% hit and do virtually no marketing.
For us working on our own website (plus links to..), social media, plus goo gle.adwor ds is by far our biggest business driver. B&B.com is good for the main season, but the rest of the year, nothing. air gives a few bookings, actually this is has been our busiest year with them but not enough to keep us in the manor to which we've become accustomed.
regular_smile.gif

So far we've managed to avoid the OTAs.
Lots of work to keep a good image on TA which again is an important driver for us.

Last night, we had two open rooms at 4 PM. What worked for us is, we lowered the price on those rooms in the OTA world and both filled before 7.

Member of the local Chambers on the theory that whatever helps the area trickles down to me and it does put me on their websites.
Trends come and go, what works this year may not do a well in the future. Web banner on an area attraction site was the first thing that seemed to do really well for me, but over time the price went up and the results delined.
TA was wonderful for a while as our rating placed us near the top of the list, while our rating is still the same their present numbering system includes the volume of reviews and as a tiny place we got lost way down in their list, still a help if someone reads down the list, but I don't hear as many comments.
This year seems slower than the last few, but maybe just a cycle as I see that same comment from others, our prices are up a little and there is a new hotel in town this year, maybe no reason to get excited.
I have not yet tried OTAs so I can't speak to how they might help

Back