What would YOU complain about?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow, morticia.
what is wrong at the place? (or is it places?) are they burnt out? ill? getting ready to retire?
were you paying the going rate for your stay? if so, you were a paying guest who happens to be in innkeeper and you deserved good service. where is the hospitality in being treated this way? how are their other reviews? do they have other reviews?
burnt food?! i'd be asking for something else to eat ... dry cereal would do or i guess i'd have to trim it and leave it ... food got cold? i'd be asking if they could put mine in the micro for a minute ... and rooms too cold and the heat is not turned on? i'd be asking for additional blankets because the room is too cold 'for me'.
i would likely not post a review ... so far i've only posted nice ones. but i'd be asking the innkeepers for help (as above) and i would neither return nor recommend if i thought guests would be disappointed. you have high standards ... you want to stay at places and recommend places with high standards.
as for the dogs ... i love them. but not in my lap while i'm eating or begging at the table. in other rooms, i'm happy for their company..
We paid the going rate and we were not the only guests in the house. So, it wasn't just 'oh you're innkeepers, you understand.' We didn't ask for nor receive any special treatment. The burnt food was laid out in front of us and we were told, 'I got busy with other guests, just cut out the burnt parts, bet this happens to you all the time.' So, the 'real' guests were also treated to burnt food and also an 'inside joke' about how ALL B&B's must do this.
I had the toast, which I made myself. The other guests at the table were appalled and I heard them talking about it outside. They had done the B&B as a special side trip and said they'd be going back to the hotels next time.
We never said a word to the innkeepers about any of the problems, never wrote a review, because they had explained it all to us and anything from us was not going to change their minds.
It's odd how that happens. We find that innkeepers who know this area think it's all lah-di-dah here and that they are 'homey' and 'things happen' and 'it is what it is.'

Let it slide, take lots of notes and say to ourselves, it will never be that way here!
Actual example... B&B we've stayed at 3 times... first time no wifi code. Next time, knocked on the OQ and the babysitter called the owners and they said it was on a code somewhere, poke around. I did and found it. Third time, poked around but no code. Ugh. Only there one night so didn't bother finding the code. Same B&B, last stay, closet had one wire hanger in it... this is in a cold state at a cold time of year.
Said anything? Nope. But you can be sure the wifi code is in every desk drawer and every closet has lots of wooden hangers!
=)
Kk..
I usually don't complain, no matter what. But I won't go back and I won't refer and I wonder if that's the wrong way to do it? Should I complain because maybe they don't know something is uncomfortable? Or will they think I'm just comparing them to how I do things.
I think by now most everyone knows my peeves...no heat, no hot water, burnt or cold food.
The innkeeper knows the food is burnt, they saw it and chose not to redo it. Ditto the cold food. They know how long it was sitting out while they talked.
Do they know there's no heat in the room? Both times it turns out they did and they both told us why there was no heat before we could even mention it. Both times close to winter, once when it was snowing. A third place I didn't mention it but we also stayed somewhere else next time. Why I keep picking places where 'polar bears' live, I don't know!
The other peeve is pets in the dining room. I don't want your pets begging from me, don't want them flying around me food, don't want them sitting at the table with me. (It would definitely help if the B&B listed they have pets that are allowed to do this, I wouldn't stay there.)
Morticia said:
I think by now most everyone knows my peeves...no heat, no hot water, burnt or cold food.
The other peeve is pets in the dining room. I don't want your pets begging from me, don't want them flying around me food, don't want them sitting at the table with me. (It would definitely help if the B&B listed they have pets that are allowed to do this, I wouldn't stay there.)
I'm with you there. I am a pet lover but don't want animals begging. I recall staying in a lovely B&B in Norfolk and the owner had a cute little dog. But I wondered what eveyone thought about the dog running in and out of the kitchen and dining room during breakfast...
If we had no heat we would move our guests to another B&B or hotel that did. Period.
Riki
egoodell said:
If we had no heat we would move our guests to another B&B or hotel that did. Period.
Riki
It's not that they had no heat because of a problem with the heat, it was explained to us why they weren't turning it on for guests. So, they knew it was cold, knew we were probably not comfortable, but that was their operating procedure.
Speaking as a guest (I am not an innkeeper), I would be upset to be told that basics were not being provided, in other words "you're not worth turning the heat on for", etc. We have stayed in places that were far from perfect, for sure, but if the owners are doing their best and trying to make the guest comfortable, it helps. Everyone works so hard to make a living, "luxuries" like vacations are expected to be nice, if not special. Also, and this is a biggie, a lot of people are hesitant to even try B&B, so one crummy visit, perceived as a waste of money, and that avenue can be shut down and not even considered for future lodging options. Just my 2 cents! :eek:)
Alice I. W. said:
Speaking as a guest (I am not an innkeeper), I would be upset to be told that basics were not being provided, in other words "you're not worth turning the heat on for", etc. We have stayed in places that were far from perfect, for sure, but if the owners are doing their best and trying to make the guest comfortable, it helps. Everyone works so hard to make a living, "luxuries" like vacations are expected to be nice, if not special. Also, and this is a biggie, a lot of people are hesitant to even try B&B, so one crummy visit, perceived as a waste of money, and that avenue can be shut down and not even considered for future lodging options. Just my 2 cents! :eek:)
I agree, but the question was directed as an innkeeper, not a guest. Heat is something that is very difficult right now, our heating system is insufficient in freezing temps, I just checked in a couple form FLA and have put an addtl radiator heater in their room (electric plug in) for added warmth.
If you have been on this forum long, you can see that innkeepers are more particular than their guests - we are, to put it nicely, paranoid, we obsess over making everything perfect. This is why it is important for innkeepers to go to other inns and see that we don't have to walk on egg shells, guests actually enjoy us being regular people. Of course, regular rates apply. :) Not speaking of a $350 spa, but a regular inn.
As a guest you will be reading things here that raise your eyebrows at times, you will not hear things like ruined sheets and the dirty details - out there. Be assured innkeeper here give 110% to their guests. We can have guests who complain, we don't need innkeepers who do too - unless they are a friend!
I only wanted to point out that guest are often hesitant to try new options, like B&Bs, because they are afraid of different standards. A hotel usually would not be allowed to just not turn on the heat because it is expensive. Pointing out potential problems to owners might help perceptions.
I have been following the forum since it was on A B O U T, so I am aware of the contents. I was only adding my opinion because I was welcomed so warmly by others. As a B&B fan only, I will now demur.

wow, morticia.
what is wrong at the place? (or is it places?) are they burnt out? ill? getting ready to retire?
were you paying the going rate for your stay? if so, you were a paying guest who happens to be in innkeeper and you deserved good service. where is the hospitality in being treated this way? how are their other reviews? do they have other reviews?
burnt food?! i'd be asking for something else to eat ... dry cereal would do or i guess i'd have to trim it and leave it ... food got cold? i'd be asking if they could put mine in the micro for a minute ... and rooms too cold and the heat is not turned on? i'd be asking for additional blankets because the room is too cold 'for me'.
i would likely not post a review ... so far i've only posted nice ones. but i'd be asking the innkeepers for help (as above) and i would neither return nor recommend if i thought guests would be disappointed. you have high standards ... you want to stay at places and recommend places with high standards.
as for the dogs ... i love them. but not in my lap while i'm eating or begging at the table. in other rooms, i'm happy for their company..
We paid the going rate and we were not the only guests in the house. So, it wasn't just 'oh you're innkeepers, you understand.' We didn't ask for nor receive any special treatment. The burnt food was laid out in front of us and we were told, 'I got busy with other guests, just cut out the burnt parts, bet this happens to you all the time.' So, the 'real' guests were also treated to burnt food and also an 'inside joke' about how ALL B&B's must do this.
I had the toast, which I made myself. The other guests at the table were appalled and I heard them talking about it outside. They had done the B&B as a special side trip and said they'd be going back to the hotels next time.
We never said a word to the innkeepers about any of the problems, never wrote a review, because they had explained it all to us and anything from us was not going to change their minds.
It's odd how that happens. We find that innkeepers who know this area think it's all lah-di-dah here and that they are 'homey' and 'things happen' and 'it is what it is.'
Ok, I thought this was a nitpicking thread but when it's this far gone and they obviously don't care then I think you did the right thing in not saying anything or bothering to write a review...it sounds like it would be a complete waste of your time since nothing is going to change. They are making their own beds and will not have any repeat guests or good word of mouth.

wow, morticia.
Ok, I thought this was a nitpicking thread but when it's this far gone and they obviously don't care then I think you did the right thing in not saying anything or bothering to write a review...it sounds like it would be a complete waste of your time since nothing is going to change. They are making their own beds and will not have any repeat guests or good word of mouth.
Nope, not nitpicking. Just wanting to know how much anyone is willing to let slide. Because I know I'm picky. But I'm picky everywhere. I won't stay in hotel rooms that smell like cig smoke when I've been told they are 'non smoking'. I'll ask to be moved if there are 6 kids in the room next door. If I'm spending money on something, I want to enjoy myself. I won't ask that the 6 kids be shut up, but I don't want to listen to them, either.
A lot of stuff I just tuck under my hat to remember for things to do here. Or not to do.

Let it slide, take lots of notes and say to ourselves, it will never be that way here!
Actual example... B&B we've stayed at 3 times... first time no wifi code. Next time, knocked on the OQ and the babysitter called the owners and they said it was on a code somewhere, poke around. I did and found it. Third time, poked around but no code. Ugh. Only there one night so didn't bother finding the code. Same B&B, last stay, closet had one wire hanger in it... this is in a cold state at a cold time of year.
Said anything? Nope. But you can be sure the wifi code is in every desk drawer and every closet has lots of wooden hangers!
=)
Kk..
I usually don't complain, no matter what. But I won't go back and I won't refer and I wonder if that's the wrong way to do it? Should I complain because maybe they don't know something is uncomfortable? Or will they think I'm just comparing them to how I do things.
The innkeeper knows the food is burnt, they saw it and chose not to redo it. Ditto the cold food. They know how long it was sitting out while they talked.
Do they know there's no heat in the room? Both times it turns out they did and they both told us why there was no heat before we could even mention it. Both times close to winter, once when it was snowing. A third place I didn't mention it but we also stayed somewhere else next time. Why I keep picking places where 'polar bears' live, I don't know!
Morticia said:
I'm with you there. I am a pet lover but don't want animals begging. I recall staying in a lovely B&B in Norfolk and the owner had a cute little dog. But I wondered what eveyone thought about the dog running in and out of the kitchen and dining room during breakfast...
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
It's not that they had no heat because of a problem with the heat, it was explained to us why they weren't turning it on for guests. So, they knew it was cold, knew we were probably not comfortable, but that was their operating procedure.
Alice I. W. said:
I agree, but the question was directed as an innkeeper, not a guest. Heat is something that is very difficult right now, our heating system is insufficient in freezing temps, I just checked in a couple form FLA and have put an addtl radiator heater in their room (electric plug in) for added warmth.
If you have been on this forum long, you can see that innkeepers are more particular than their guests - we are, to put it nicely, paranoid, we obsess over making everything perfect. This is why it is important for innkeepers to go to other inns and see that we don't have to walk on egg shells, guests actually enjoy us being regular people. Of course, regular rates apply. :) Not speaking of a $350 spa, but a regular inn.
As a guest you will be reading things here that raise your eyebrows at times, you will not hear things like ruined sheets and the dirty details - out there. Be assured innkeeper here give 110% to their guests. We can have guests who complain, we don't need innkeepers who do too - unless they are a friend!
I only wanted to point out that guest are often hesitant to try new options, like B&Bs, because they are afraid of different standards. A hotel usually would not be allowed to just not turn on the heat because it is expensive. Pointing out potential problems to owners might help perceptions.
I have been following the forum since it was on A B O U T, so I am aware of the contents. I was only adding my opinion because I was welcomed so warmly by others. As a B&B fan only, I will now demur.
For the stuff I've experienced, I doubt telling the owners would have done anything. Most of them, knowing we're innkeepers, tell us, maybe in confidence, that this is the way they do things. I accept that's the way they do things, but it doesn't stop me wondering how much would anyone else put up with. And every once in awhile I like to check my perceptions against some other folks 'in the biz' or guests like yourself.
Generally, it turns out that I'm picky!

Alice I was only expressing the fact she asked innkeepers if they would complain. As a guest you are more than welcome to voice your opinion AND SHOULD. You should write the TA reviews, the comment cards and let the owners know it is not on!! I hope you do!
I, hear you loud and clear as I have stayed at NON forum B&B's and had appalling things happen/conditions. There are some really bad inns out there, unfortunately, and they give us all a bad name. I won't say "Inspected and approved" are the better, as there are some that are inspected and approved that should not be operating as B&B's.
What you said, is what I always say and many on the forum say, the reason we end up in hotels (from ridiculous reservation policies to pathetic breakfasts!)
Please don't take my comments the wrong way. As an innkeeper, I would not say a word. I would not review them online, I would not do anything other than walk away. Why do I say this? Because this is what I have done in the past. As Mort mentioned they have a cavalier attitude, it is what it is, and they do not wish to change.

=)
Kk..
Morticia said:
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
Alice I. W. said:
For the stuff I've experienced, I doubt telling the owners would have done anything. Most of them, knowing we're innkeepers, tell us, maybe in confidence, that this is the way they do things. I accept that's the way they do things, but it doesn't stop me wondering how much would anyone else put up with. And every once in awhile I like to check my perceptions against some other folks 'in the biz' or guests like yourself.
Morticia said:
I would not call your experience as being picky! I would not want to receive a cold or burnt breakfast as an Innkeeper or guest! If I'm paying to stay somewhere I want the heat or ac on in the appropriate months. I'm curious as to why an Innkeeper wouldn't write some sort of review since you said they knew their breakfasts were cold and burnt and didn't care and didn't even care to keep you warm in the Winter months. What else in their business don't they care about? It doesn't have to be mean or nasty, just an informative review pointing out the good as well as the bad......??

Ok, you can tar and feather me, but if I experienced what Mort did with the cavalier attitude, burnt food and no heat, you bet I would write a review. These are the types of properties that give B&Bs a bad name. It's only fair to those travelers who do read reviews before they book to have an accurate picture of what's really happening at that property. I know that as innkeepers we can be pickier than most, but writing a review with accurate information when there's something blatently wrong with a B&B is ok in my opinion. If I wrote a review for a place like that, I would also add in the review that B&Bs are typically wonderful and that specific property is not the norm.

Ok, you can tar and feather me, but if I experienced what Mort did with the cavalier attitude, burnt food and no heat, you bet I would write a review. These are the types of properties that give B&Bs a bad name. It's only fair to those travelers who do read reviews before they book to have an accurate picture of what's really happening at that property. I know that as innkeepers we can be pickier than most, but writing a review with accurate information when there's something blatently wrong with a B&B is ok in my opinion. If I wrote a review for a place like that, I would also add in the review that B&Bs are typically wonderful and that specific property is not the norm..
I am with you. If I spoke to the innkeeper about the problems and I certainly would for something major like that..and got no response or a bad one...I would be off to TripAdvisor in a flash!!! They deserve to get a bad review so others will know what they may be in for. Again...like you...not the typical B &B and not to take away from others.

Ok, you can tar and feather me, but if I experienced what Mort did with the cavalier attitude, burnt food and no heat, you bet I would write a review. These are the types of properties that give B&Bs a bad name. It's only fair to those travelers who do read reviews before they book to have an accurate picture of what's really happening at that property. I know that as innkeepers we can be pickier than most, but writing a review with accurate information when there's something blatently wrong with a B&B is ok in my opinion. If I wrote a review for a place like that, I would also add in the review that B&Bs are typically wonderful and that specific property is not the norm..
I am with you. If I spoke to the innkeeper about the problems and I certainly would for something major like that..and got no response or a bad one...I would be off to TripAdvisor in a flash!!! They deserve to get a bad review so others will know what they may be in for. Again...like you...not the typical B &B and not to take away from others.
catlady said:
I am with you. If I spoke to the innkeeper about the problems and I certainly would for something major like that..and got no response or a bad one...I would be off to TripAdvisor in a flash!!!
I would never write a negative review about a B&B unless I had brought my concerns to the innkeeper first...review would then be based on final impressions. The "best" negative reviews state the problem, and how the innkeeper handled it. I find it highly unfair that an innkeeper first learns of a guest problem from an online review. Happens all too often, unfortunately.

catlady said:
I am with you. If I spoke to the innkeeper about the problems and I certainly would for something major like that..and got no response or a bad one...I would be off to TripAdvisor in a flash!!!
I would never write a negative review about a B&B unless I had brought my concerns to the innkeeper first...review would then be based on final impressions. The "best" negative reviews state the problem, and how the innkeeper handled it. I find it highly unfair that an innkeeper first learns of a guest problem from an online review. Happens all too often, unfortunately.
That is not what I said. I said I would speak to the innkeeper about any problems first THEN, if i got the reaction she did, I would proceed to do a TA review.

catlady said:
"We never said a word to the innkeepers about any of the problems, never wrote a review, because they had explained it all to us and anything from us was not going to change their minds."
In this scenario that Mort had, it was obvious the innkeepers knew the problems. The innkeepers attitude and not caring how it impacted on their guests is what would make me write the review.
When I travel, I always do reviews for lodging and dining when I return. I don't understand why I should have some duty to protect a B&B that is obviously not up to standards. I agree that speaking with the innkeepers about the problems to see if they are unaware is the best thing to do in most circumstances.

As an Innkeeper I would try not to be nit-pickie, but to put up with what Morticia put up with and mention it to the Innkeeper and the Innkeeper was nonchelant about it I would DEFINANTELY write a bad review on them. The only reason I would do this is because they actually DID NOT GIVE A DAMN and if they don't care every single "first time" B & B guests would never go to another B & B and that is a shame cause like someone said before that makes all the great Innkeepers look bad.
Maybe they did it on purpose? I just think that is so wrong, people like that don't need to be in any kind of service profession.

catlady said:
Absolutely. Bring it to their attention, ask for it to be fixed, if they brush it off ask AGAIN for what would make it better for you, and if you're still blown off then write the review. It is absolutely not fair for an innkeeper to learn of a problem in a review. No one here is shy and retiring so I would hope they would not hesitate to ask for what would make the problem better. I wouldn't hesitate to ask for some scrambled eggs if what the innkeeper had prepared was burnt, or to ask for a space heater if I were cold.

catlady said:
That is not what I said. I said I would speak to the innkeeper about any problems first THEN, if i got the reaction she did, I would proceed to do a TA review.
catlady said:
Yeah, hello...I was agreeing with you.

I agree that no heat & burnt food treated as an OK do deserve a write-up, negative one. But on something small, I would not. Heat is not a small issue in a cold climate.

I agree that no heat & burnt food treated as an OK do deserve a write-up, negative one. But on something small, I would not. Heat is not a small issue in a cold climate.
gillumhouse said:
I know of an inn that routinely doesn't turn on heat (or AC) until the guest arrives in the room.
Ugh.
=)
Kk.

gillumhouse said:
I know of an inn that routinely doesn't turn on heat (or AC) until the guest arrives in the room.
Ugh.
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
gillumhouse said:
Ugh.
=)
Kk.
Oops, we resemble that remark. We tried turning heat and A/C on in advance and ended up, many times, heating or cooling the rooms for 5-6 hours before guests arrived. Now we tell them where the controls are and say it only takes about 15 minutes (the time it takes to haul the luggage in) to get the rooms at the temp they like.

gillumhouse said:
Ugh.
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
gillumhouse said:
Ugh.
=)
Kk.
Oops, we resemble that remark. We tried turning heat and A/C on in advance and ended up, many times, heating or cooling the rooms for 5-6 hours before guests arrived. Now we tell them where the controls are and say it only takes about 15 minutes (the time it takes to haul the luggage in) to get the rooms at the temp they like.
Morticia said:
YellowSocks said:
gillumhouse said:
Ugh.
=)
Kk.
We are lucky enough with only two rooms that we know when guests are coming, so turn it on that morning. But with our heat system we also warm up in 15 minutes. Since we are that far from town, we usually have that time to turn on. We save a lot of money not running heat during the week right now when we have no guests. Have it off not only in the rooms but in the whole ground floor, just on in our upstairs apartment.
Riki

gillumhouse said:
Ugh.
=)
Kk.
I have the heat on in the bathrooms to keep pipes from bursting, but turn on the heat in the guestrooms (or A/C in summer) about 1 PM or so on the day of arrival. We also keep the heat low in the downstairs, mainly heating the rooms we are in with small electric heaters.

Back