What would YOU complain about?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
So, you're an innkeeper on vacation at another B&B like the one you own. (That way it's an 'even' playing field.) If something is wrong in your room, what sorts of things would you complain about? Or, do you let it all slide because you know how hard a job this is?
Would you not complain at all? Not refer anyone to this place in the future? Complain and see if it is resolved? (By 'complain' I mean 'bring to the innkeeper's attention in a nice way.') Would you give a bad TA review or let it go no matter what the resolution was?
How about if the innkeeper 'explains' that they do something this way and that's just the way it is? (So they are not going to meet your expectations.)
What is just too much for you? (Realizing we all have different set points and peeves!)

If I found anything that needed fixed (and I mean trplaced, repaired, not personal preference) I would do a "by the way"... As for a personal preferance that I think may be useful I might mention if there was an opportunity in conversation - do you think this might .... or one of my guests told me about.
I doubt if I would write a review about it - when in doubt say nothing. When I write a review, it is positive and only if I mean it.

This happens to me a lot when I'm traveling. And it's why I've learned to try to remain incognito if at all possible. Knowing there's an innkeeper in the house just seems to add pressure all around. Or, at the opposite end of the spectrum, they forget that I am there because I need a break and they don't treat me with the same care that they provide other guests.
Do I complain? Rarely, even if it's something that just irks me.
There are a few exceptions to that. Once I stayed in a place that was just lovely in most regards but housekeeping didn't go into my room for 3 days straight, despite my PLEASE CLEAN ROOM NOW tag hanging from the door starting early each morning. On the 3rd day, I let the managing innkeeper know (for the 2nd time!) and he sort-of cleaned it himself. But I found myself being even more irked by the casual nature of his half-hearted apology. This was right on the beach so sand would get tracked in daily, making the room seem really unclean.
Do I write TA reviews? Never. As an innkeeper, I know my standards are higher than most guests so I don't think it's generally a fair comparision. And maybe it's because I know what a deep impact those bad reviews will have. I don't do it.
What does change is whether or not I refer guests to them. And that's actually a biggie. I send a lot of guests all over the place all the time. Because I travel so much myself, I usually ask guests where they're going next and often make recommendations for the next town on their journey. I'll often call the innkeeper myself on the guest's behalf and get the best room/rate possible for the guest. Since I generally know the inn and, by then, the guest, I'm often able to make an ideal match.
But if an inn didn't meet my standards, for whatever reason, I just don't refer to them.

Hummm, well if it were little things I may just let it go but if something was not working - even something like a lamp I could go without, I would make a casual mention of it because if it were broken, I do not want someone to think it was ME.
If there was something that needed addressing that did not get settled to my satisfaction I would simply NOT recommed them to anyone.
I can not see myself writing a bad TA review on another B&B.
I only have one B&B that I can not recommend, but the issue was about our reservation, (He had forgotten we had one, - our 25th anniv.) not issues in the room. Luckily there are a good number of B&B's in that area, if some one asks I provide them with a list omitting that one.

Let it slide, take lots of notes and say to ourselves, it will never be that way here!
Actual example... B&B we've stayed at 3 times... first time no wifi code. Next time, knocked on the OQ and the babysitter called the owners and they said it was on a code somewhere, poke around. I did and found it. Third time, poked around but no code. Ugh. Only there one night so didn't bother finding the code. Same B&B, last stay, closet had one wire hanger in it... this is in a cold state at a cold time of year.
Said anything? Nope. But you can be sure the wifi code is in every desk drawer and every closet has lots of wooden hangers!
=)
Kk.

Good grief, I would be so grateful to be ON VACATION that it would take a lot (I mean something blatantly filthy, bugs, some large piece of furniture broken/unusable) for me to ever say anything.
I like to take notes for myself if there is something I like or don't like but I'm not there to give the innkeepers a bad time and unless they actively solicit my input I assume they don't want and/or need it.

Let it slide, take lots of notes and say to ourselves, it will never be that way here!
Actual example... B&B we've stayed at 3 times... first time no wifi code. Next time, knocked on the OQ and the babysitter called the owners and they said it was on a code somewhere, poke around. I did and found it. Third time, poked around but no code. Ugh. Only there one night so didn't bother finding the code. Same B&B, last stay, closet had one wire hanger in it... this is in a cold state at a cold time of year.
Said anything? Nope. But you can be sure the wifi code is in every desk drawer and every closet has lots of wooden hangers!
=)
Kk..
I usually don't complain, no matter what. But I won't go back and I won't refer and I wonder if that's the wrong way to do it? Should I complain because maybe they don't know something is uncomfortable? Or will they think I'm just comparing them to how I do things.
I think by now most everyone knows my peeves...no heat, no hot water, burnt or cold food.
The innkeeper knows the food is burnt, they saw it and chose not to redo it. Ditto the cold food. They know how long it was sitting out while they talked.
Do they know there's no heat in the room? Both times it turns out they did and they both told us why there was no heat before we could even mention it. Both times close to winter, once when it was snowing. A third place I didn't mention it but we also stayed somewhere else next time. Why I keep picking places where 'polar bears' live, I don't know!
The other peeve is pets in the dining room. I don't want your pets begging from me, don't want them flying around me food, don't want them sitting at the table with me. (It would definitely help if the B&B listed they have pets that are allowed to do this, I wouldn't stay there.)

=)
Kk..
I usually don't complain, no matter what. But I won't go back and I won't refer and I wonder if that's the wrong way to do it? Should I complain because maybe they don't know something is uncomfortable? Or will they think I'm just comparing them to how I do things.
I think by now most everyone knows my peeves...no heat, no hot water, burnt or cold food.
The innkeeper knows the food is burnt, they saw it and chose not to redo it. Ditto the cold food. They know how long it was sitting out while they talked.
Do they know there's no heat in the room? Both times it turns out they did and they both told us why there was no heat before we could even mention it. Both times close to winter, once when it was snowing. A third place I didn't mention it but we also stayed somewhere else next time. Why I keep picking places where 'polar bears' live, I don't know!
The other peeve is pets in the dining room. I don't want your pets begging from me, don't want them flying around me food, don't want them sitting at the table with me. (It would definitely help if the B&B listed they have pets that are allowed to do this, I wouldn't stay there.)
Morticia said:
I'm with you there. I am a pet lover but don't want animals begging. I recall staying in a lovely B&B in Norfolk and the owner had a cute little dog. But I wondered what eveyone thought about the dog running in and out of the kitchen and dining room during breakfast...
If we had no heat we would move our guests to another B&B or hotel that did. Period.
Riki

=)
Kk..
Morticia said:
I'm with you there. I am a pet lover but don't want animals begging. I recall staying in a lovely B&B in Norfolk and the owner had a cute little dog. But I wondered what eveyone thought about the dog running in and out of the kitchen and dining room during breakfast...
If we had no heat we would move our guests to another B&B or hotel that did. Period.
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
It's not that they had no heat because of a problem with the heat, it was explained to us why they weren't turning it on for guests. So, they knew it was cold, knew we were probably not comfortable, but that was their operating procedure.

=)
Kk..
Morticia said:
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
It's not that they had no heat because of a problem with the heat, it was explained to us why they weren't turning it on for guests. So, they knew it was cold, knew we were probably not comfortable, but that was their operating procedure.
Morticia said:
egoodell said:
Riki
NO! I can't belive that! There is absolutely no reason for that. We turn off our heat everywhere but our apartment when emply, but turn it on in plenty of time for it to be toasty warm when guests come to check in. That is totally unacceptable. Totally.
RIki

It's kind of funny for me. If I know a fellow innkeeper is here I will usually ask for "points for improvement" from them because I know they will be honest. From that we've made some adjustments; more hooks, more outlets, etc. But when I travel I don't usually tell the innkeeper that I also have a B&B because I don't want to cause them additional stress. If something was a major problem I would mention it but, like Rupert, I am so happy to be anywhere on vacation that most things don't bother me. I am happy if the room is clean, the owners are friendly, and the food is good. My biggest pet peeve though is not enough towels. But I think that was already covered in another thread. If a guest mentions something that needs fixing; leaky drain, burned out light bulb, etc, we try to fix it that day.

I think an innkeeper who writes a negative review about another inn is a terd.
tounge_smile.gif

I also think innkeepers are way too critical, so whatever we think is a big deal is most likely nit picking. We need to not police everyone and correct everything wherever we go.
Example: a relative sent me one of those goofy 'bucket' list emails where you check off the things you have done. I noted on the list under Got a Tattoo she put NONE. Of course I grew up with this person and know she has a tattoo only visible when wearing a swimsuit. I was about to email her back with a witty comment and realized it would be wrong, it is not my job to correct her, or call her on it. I ended up just deleting it, what is more important - same as the quote I read yesterday something like this -- "When considering borrowing money from a relative, think about what is more important" :) Makes sense.

tounge_smile.gif

I also think innkeepers are way too critical, so whatever we think is a big deal is most likely nit picking. We need to not police everyone and correct everything wherever we go.
Example: a relative sent me one of those goofy 'bucket' list emails where you check off the things you have done. I noted on the list under Got a Tattoo she put NONE. Of course I grew up with this person and know she has a tattoo only visible when wearing a swimsuit. I was about to email her back with a witty comment and realized it would be wrong, it is not my job to correct her, or call her on it. I ended up just deleting it, what is more important - same as the quote I read yesterday something like this -- "When considering borrowing money from a relative, think about what is more important" :) Makes sense..
You have been missed!!

tounge_smile.gif

Example: a relative sent me one of those goofy 'bucket' list emails where you check off the things you have done. I noted on the list under Got a Tattoo she put NONE. Of course I grew up with this person and know she has a tattoo only visible when wearing a swimsuit. I was about to email her back with a witty comment and realized it would be wrong, it is not my job to correct her, or call her on it. I ended up just deleting it, what is more important - same as the quote I read yesterday something like this -- "When considering borrowing money from a relative, think about what is more important" :) Makes sense..
You have been missed!!
Ditto. Welcome back, JB.

=)
Kk..
Morticia said:
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
Speaking as a guest (I am not an innkeeper), I would be upset to be told that basics were not being provided, in other words "you're not worth turning the heat on for", etc. We have stayed in places that were far from perfect, for sure, but if the owners are doing their best and trying to make the guest comfortable, it helps. Everyone works so hard to make a living, "luxuries" like vacations are expected to be nice, if not special. Also, and this is a biggie, a lot of people are hesitant to even try B&B, so one crummy visit, perceived as a waste of money, and that avenue can be shut down and not even considered for future lodging options. Just my 2 cents! :eek:)

wow, morticia.
what is wrong at the place? (or is it places?) are they burnt out? ill? getting ready to retire?
were you paying the going rate for your stay? if so, you were a paying guest who happens to be in innkeeper and you deserved good service. where is the hospitality in being treated this way? how are their other reviews? do they have other reviews?
burnt food?! i'd be asking for something else to eat ... dry cereal would do or i guess i'd have to trim it and leave it ... food got cold? i'd be asking if they could put mine in the micro for a minute ... and rooms too cold and the heat is not turned on? i'd be asking for additional blankets because the room is too cold 'for me'.
i would likely not post a review ... so far i've only posted nice ones. but i'd be asking the innkeepers for help (as above) and i would neither return nor recommend if i thought guests would be disappointed. you have high standards ... you want to stay at places and recommend places with high standards.
as for the dogs ... i love them. but not in my lap while i'm eating or begging at the table. in other rooms, i'm happy for their company.

=)
Kk..
Morticia said:
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
Speaking as a guest (I am not an innkeeper), I would be upset to be told that basics were not being provided, in other words "you're not worth turning the heat on for", etc. We have stayed in places that were far from perfect, for sure, but if the owners are doing their best and trying to make the guest comfortable, it helps. Everyone works so hard to make a living, "luxuries" like vacations are expected to be nice, if not special. Also, and this is a biggie, a lot of people are hesitant to even try B&B, so one crummy visit, perceived as a waste of money, and that avenue can be shut down and not even considered for future lodging options. Just my 2 cents! :eek:)
Alice I. W. said:
I agree, but the question was directed as an innkeeper, not a guest. Heat is something that is very difficult right now, our heating system is insufficient in freezing temps, I just checked in a couple form FLA and have put an addtl radiator heater in their room (electric plug in) for added warmth.
If you have been on this forum long, you can see that innkeepers are more particular than their guests - we are, to put it nicely, paranoid, we obsess over making everything perfect. This is why it is important for innkeepers to go to other inns and see that we don't have to walk on egg shells, guests actually enjoy us being regular people. Of course, regular rates apply. :) Not speaking of a $350 spa, but a regular inn.
As a guest you will be reading things here that raise your eyebrows at times, you will not hear things like ruined sheets and the dirty details - out there. Be assured innkeeper here give 110% to their guests. We can have guests who complain, we don't need innkeepers who do too - unless they are a friend!

=)
Kk..
Morticia said:
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
Alice I. W. said:
I agree, but the question was directed as an innkeeper, not a guest. Heat is something that is very difficult right now, our heating system is insufficient in freezing temps, I just checked in a couple form FLA and have put an addtl radiator heater in their room (electric plug in) for added warmth.
If you have been on this forum long, you can see that innkeepers are more particular than their guests - we are, to put it nicely, paranoid, we obsess over making everything perfect. This is why it is important for innkeepers to go to other inns and see that we don't have to walk on egg shells, guests actually enjoy us being regular people. Of course, regular rates apply. :) Not speaking of a $350 spa, but a regular inn.
As a guest you will be reading things here that raise your eyebrows at times, you will not hear things like ruined sheets and the dirty details - out there. Be assured innkeeper here give 110% to their guests. We can have guests who complain, we don't need innkeepers who do too - unless they are a friend!
But friends will not complain - they will ask did you know........?

tounge_smile.gif

Hey JB...good to have you back..you have been missed
heart.gif

Back