What would you do?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not their friend & if they are not staying with me, nor am I their personal travel agent..having said that "off record," here is what I'd reply:
"Thank you for your interest in the XYZ Inn We actually do have availability for your dates & would be pleased to accomodate you in our XYZ cottage at XYZ per night. Please keep in mind that this rate includes X, Y, Z, & .... & of course you have built-in concierge service as we are an owner-occupied property & thus are here to be sure that you make the most of your valuable vacation time while staying with us.
Our registered guests, keep us so busy that, unfortunately, we aren't able to keep up with the current pricing/amenities of other properties.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!
Best,
ZYX..your name".
Paradise said:
I am not their friend & if they are not staying with me, nor am I their personal travel agent..having said that "off record," here is what I'd reply:
"Thank you for your interest in the XYZ Inn We actually do have availability for your dates & would be pleased to accomodate you in our XYZ cottage at XYZ per night. Please keep in mind that this rate includes X, Y, Z, & .... & of course you have built-in concierge service as we are an owner-occupied property & thus are here to be sure that you make the most of your valuable vacation time while staying with us.
Our registered guests, keep us so busy that, unfortunately, we aren't able to keep up with the current pricing/amenities of other properties.
Best,
ZYX..your name"
Oh I missed this one! Great response Paradise. Do you mind if I take it verbatim?
Please do :)
I've answered this way so that althought I KNOW they have said they are looking for a recommendation elsewhere, if I have space, I'm basically telling them they can stay here or stuff it (much more nicely).
We also get folks (someone else mentioned) who call about restaurants, ferry service, taxis, etc. I also now ask, "Oh (surprised voice) do you have a reservation with us?" "No, oh, then let me check our availability for you (innocently)-which dates would you be interested in?" (yes, I haven't even addressed thier dumb question which has nothing to do with my business) At which point, if they say, "Oh, we aren't staying & don't intend to" I say, (VERY sweetly) "Oh?! I'm SO sorry.. well, I would love to help, however as our guests keep us busy 24/7 (innocent, little laugh here) we really can only accommodate concierge service for folks who are staying with us. Please do give us a call back if you'd like to check our openings in the future as we'd love to have you as our guests! Have a great day!"
Killing them with kindness...
We get calls about the oddest things. When I ask why they called us they say they did a search on 'wildlife parks' and ours was the only phone number that came up! Of course, I then go try their search terms and a lot of times, yes indeed, there's my blog! showing up ahead of the actual venue they were looking for.
Yup! They also tell us they are calling us because we are the only ones with a working number/who answer the phone...

Best,
ZYX..your name".
Paradise said:
Best,
ZYX..your name"
Oh I missed this one! Great response Paradise. Do you mind if I take it verbatim?
Please do :)
I've answered this way so that althought I KNOW they have said they are looking for a recommendation elsewhere, if I have space, I'm basically telling them they can stay here or stuff it (much more nicely).
We also get folks (someone else mentioned) who call about restaurants, ferry service, taxis, etc. I also now ask, "Oh (surprised voice) do you have a reservation with us?" "No, oh, then let me check our availability for you (innocently)-which dates would you be interested in?" (yes, I haven't even addressed thier dumb question which has nothing to do with my business) At which point, if they say, "Oh, we aren't staying & don't intend to" I say, (VERY sweetly) "Oh?! I'm SO sorry.. well, I would love to help, however as our guests keep us busy 24/7 (innocent, little laugh here) we really can only accommodate concierge service for folks who are staying with us. Please do give us a call back if you'd like to check our openings in the future as we'd love to have you as our guests! Have a great day!"
Killing them with kindness...
We get calls about the oddest things. When I ask why they called us they say they did a search on 'wildlife parks' and ours was the only phone number that came up! Of course, I then go try their search terms and a lot of times, yes indeed, there's my blog! showing up ahead of the actual venue they were looking for.
Yup! They also tell us they are calling us because we are the only ones with a working number/who answer the phone...
Paradise said:
I've heard the 'you're the only one who answered the phone' comment.

Back