What would you do?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Camb

Reaction score
DH made a cock up and we were over booked for this saturday. Luckily I have just had a cancellation so it has all worked out but I was holding a double at a place two doors up just in case my luck didn't hold. So would like to know what other people do or have done in the same situation.

Will the other place be able to make that up? If not, I'd ask them how they want to handle it, but be prepared to offer money. And no more taking reservations during 'Top Gear' for DH!

The overbook I learned as a relief night audit at a chain hotel was that they paid for one-night and one phone call at another lodging place if a guaranteed reservation has no room at the inn - to cover the inconvenience of no room. I would at least ask the other inn if you owe anything since the room was held - unless they can fill it. You may have I help you/you help me agreements in place so all is well. I find that if some one at least offers to square up, it is enough but I resent the ones to "expect" what you gave them as a favor. I want to be the one who decides if I get paid or not. (it is OK to have your fingers crossed behind your back when making the offer to pay.)

Dont worry I will make sure they don't suffer as I am always sending them rooms as they have a nice place but zero markting I have sent them about $8000 worth of business in 3 months so they owe me but I am more interested in the dealing with the customer side what you would say, would you tell them in advance? or when they arrive etc?

Dont worry I will make sure they don't suffer as I am always sending them rooms as they have a nice place but zero markting I have sent them about $8000 worth of business in 3 months so they owe me but I am more interested in the dealing with the customer side what you would say, would you tell them in advance? or when they arrive etc?.
So they are getting a different room from the one they thought? I'd let them know in advance. Generally a brief apology is good. If the room is better than what they thought, that's good. If it's not, then get them something 'on you'. A GC to dinner or something like that. You could do something nice for them even if the room is better.

Dont worry I will make sure they don't suffer as I am always sending them rooms as they have a nice place but zero markting I have sent them about $8000 worth of business in 3 months so they owe me but I am more interested in the dealing with the customer side what you would say, would you tell them in advance? or when they arrive etc?.
Of course it is not as nice as your place - does not have your for one thing - but if it is just 2 doors up, it is not as if they are being sent off to the next county. I think I would wait until the arrival (since it is 2 doors away) just in case, as happened, a cancellation presented itself. Apologize up the wazoo and I would pick up the tab at the restaurant in town before they had to go over the mountain to the next B & B (if she had rooms).
I would be in deep doo-doo because I do not have another B & B nearby. So I would have to fess up in advance to ask where they wanted me to make a reservation for them - first night on me because the closest accommodations are 8 miles away at chain hotel/motels.

Back