What would YOU do?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If nothing else, it is time to add the damage clause on your booking system and in person, and on your statement for payment purposes. I hope everyone has that on there, you NEVER KNOW who these people will be.

If nothing else, it is time to add the damage clause on your booking system and in person, and on your statement for payment purposes. I hope everyone has that on there, you NEVER KNOW who these people will be..
As part of our booking info. we have the following:
[FONT= 'Palatino Linotype']"Parents are responsible for their children, & any damages caused will be charged at the discretion of the management.[/FONT]
Loss or damage of any borrowed or used X property will incur a replacement fee as designated by the management."
Perhaps others have better/more comprehensive wording?
Thanks again for input.

Thank you for your replies. Re: TA we are listed as #1 with many good review & have on the rare occasion posted a manger's reply in response to "critiques."
The family returned just now. I went down to let them know that while cleaning their room we found pen writing on two of the walls & painted it. I told them that the pen is still bleeding through & thus we'll need to do a second coat but wanted them to be aware of the wet paint.
They carried on & made a joke, that it must have been the mom because she likes drawing on walls.
I then said that there was a large pink stain on the quilt that we were having trouble getting out. I explained that there was now a different quilt on the bed because I couldn't remove the pink splotch & that perhaps they might know the source so that I could attempt to remove the stain with something else in my arsenal.
They again acted perplexed & then said that it must be mom's b-suit (which I never would have considered) although, they said they hadn't noticed anything & she wasn't really on the bed with it on. I calmly explained as I took out my phone that I could show them the photo so that maybe they might know what it was. Then, while showing them the picture of the big, pink stain I looked down at mom's sarong which had identical stains. I said, "oh, the pink stain looks just like that." The dad then replied, "oh, well, I'm sure that it will come out." I said that I was having difficulty & that I couldn't use bleach as it was a colored/patterned quilt. They half heartedly apologized & then went right into asking about their ride on Weds. to the airport for their 7am flight.
By that point I wasn't sure how to bring up the box spring as I was trying to smile while steam was shooting out of my ears...
So, now you'll be walking on eggshells for 3 more days since you've let them stay. There's absolutely no guarantee that these idjits will not still write a bad review on your place btw.
angry_smile.gif

I hope at the very least that you will charge them for all these damages.
If you currently do not have something in your policies and on a registration form that they sign when they arrive that says something like, "Guests will be charged for room damages and/or damages to linens", then you must seriously think of adding that.
btw - I am sorry that you're dealing with these chuckleheads. Although I have a much worse descriptive word for people like this.
pita.gif

Oh yeahhhh baby "Guests will be charged for all damages" no discretion,"Just do it" Be firm.

If nothing else, it is time to add the damage clause on your booking system and in person, and on your statement for payment purposes. I hope everyone has that on there, you NEVER KNOW who these people will be..
As part of our booking info. we have the following:
[FONT= 'Palatino Linotype']"Parents are responsible for their children, & any damages caused will be charged at the discretion of the management.[/FONT]
Loss or damage of any borrowed or used X property will incur a replacement fee as designated by the management."
Perhaps others have better/more comprehensive wording?
Thanks again for input.

My registration card, that they sign upon check-in, states the following (right under the amount of their stay):
"Guest is responsible for damage to linens or other property due to negligence or unintended acts."
I don't think mine is any more comprehensive than yours, that's just what I have. I think yours is clearly stated, and it's difficult to question "the discretion of the management". He doesn't have a leg to stand on. I know this is difficult - it's easy for all of us to say that we would charge, no questions asked, he's liable, blah, blah. But none of us are in your shoes - we didn't have the last four days interacting with them, nor do we have three more to put up with them. Your other half is saying no, not worth the possible bad review, and you have them denying what they did.
Although difficult, you have to put aside your hospitality and pull your business side out now and deal with this in a professional, business way. You can't be their friend, or feel like it's okay because they stayed seven days and paid you a lot of money, and the damage could have been much worse, or any of those million things we tell ourselves when we don't want to confront someone - for whatever reason. IMHO, the bottom line is...they damaged your property and they are responsible for it. If they (or their child) break something in a store, they are liable to pay. If they damage someone's car backing up from their parking spot, they have to pay. If they damage a motel room, they have to pay. Your business is no different - just because you are present, and have been personable to them, and have probably bent over backwards for them - they have to pay!

So sorry to be pushed to the limit of walking on eggshells for some strangers that took advantage of a good thing and damaging your home...I would most certaintly CHARGE them and with their bill would print those pictures and tell to have a nice day and please choose more appropriate accomodations next time.

As a fan of BandBs, not an owner, one not-so-great review among many good ones would not stop me from booking........especially if the 'manager's response' was handled with respect, logic, and good humor.
Many inn-goers are small business people also, and deal with 'pitas' too!
regular_smile.gif

As a fan of BandBs, not an owner, one not-so-great review among many good ones would not stop me from booking........especially if the 'manager's response' was handled with respect, logic, and good humor.
regular_smile.gif
Alas, I've ended up losing most of this evening's sleep worrying/feeling frustrated over this situation.
Husband believes that if guests leave on a positive note they tell one person & if they leave on a negative note they tell everyone they know. He is very non-confrontational (a good quality) & does not want to get into this with the guests. He thinks that the $50 or $100 or $200 that we'd recoup in damages would not be worth potential loss of revenue of thousands that a damaging negative experience can cause.
As we are on a small island with no big chain hotels folks unfortunately don't choose us for the "Inn" experience, but rather pick us as the "best" hotel on island. The incorrect "hotel" designation is one that we are constantly battling in print & verbally to attempt to clarify, however we all know that guests hear/read what they want & that their expectations can be challenging.
Thanks again for "listening" & all replies.

regular_smile.gif
Alas, I've ended up losing most of this evening's sleep worrying/feeling frustrated over this situation.
Husband believes that if guests leave on a positive note they tell one person & if they leave on a negative note they tell everyone they know. He is very non-confrontational (a good quality) & does not want to get into this with the guests. He thinks that the $50 or $100 or $200 that we'd recoup in damages would not be worth potential loss of revenue of thousands that a damaging negative experience can cause.
As we are on a small island with no big chain hotels folks unfortunately don't choose us for the "Inn" experience, but rather pick us as the "best" hotel on island. The incorrect "hotel" designation is one that we are constantly battling in print & verbally to attempt to clarify, however we all know that guests hear/read what they want & that their expectations can be challenging.
Paradise said:
..... if guests leave on a positive note they tell one person & if they leave on a negative note they tell everyone they know. He is very non-confrontational (a good quality) & does not want to get into this with the guests. He thinks that the $50 or $100 or $200 that we'd recoup in damages would not be worth potential loss of revenue of thousands that a damaging negative experience can cause.
Paradise, the other way to look at this is - knowing this guest as you do, do you want his buddys staying with you? Those are the only ones he really has any influence over, everyone else he knows - knows him as well.
Having picutes and him knowing you have pictures places you in the drivers seat. If he damaged your boxsprings after your discussion about bedbugs, it was intentional and should be paid for - they are not cheap for quality ones. The comforter and paint, while inexcusable, are costs of doing business.
Sounds like you are in a location that usually does not have this type of lowlife... I would bet that with the right response, you could turn any negative review this jerk could write in to one that could draw your business appart in a positive way.

regular_smile.gif
Agree with Alice. I for one will not be black-mailed by TA and put up with anything!
A bad review is not the end of the world. and the more hysterical and unpleasant it is the more it will stand out as a pack of bull-c*** amonst your other good reviews.
We are currently #3 on TA and I've recently heard through the grape vine that the people who are #1 and have nothing but 5/5 reviews are giving up becuase they're fed up with the way they are treated by guests.
We had a really quite spitefull review in May, from someone who was asked to be quiet after holding a family celebhration in their room until almost midnight. We're having one of our busiest summers ever and are booked up until well into October.

regular_smile.gif
We are Mr. & Mrs Nice Innkeepers here and I would have asked these guests to leave. What does that say to you? I'm sorry, but no one has the right to be willfully destructive to your property and then laugh it off. Plus, I would feel like I was being held hostage in my own home and I would be fretting about what other damages I might find.
If these types of damages were discovered by hotel management, you'd better believe that these guests would be charged at a hotel.
I'm so sorry for your aggravation with these bad guests! Maybe this is an opportunity for you and your dh to really discuss how you'd handle this in the future though. Hang in there! I know you're counting the hours (maybe minutes) until these people check out.

regular_smile.gif
Agree with Alice. I for one will not be black-mailed by TA and put up with anything!
A bad review is not the end of the world. and the more hysterical and unpleasant it is the more it will stand out as a pack of bull-c*** amonst your other good reviews.
We are currently #3 on TA and I've recently heard through the grape vine that the people who are #1 and have nothing but 5/5 reviews are giving up becuase they're fed up with the way they are treated by guests.
We had a really quite spitefull review in May, from someone who was asked to be quiet after holding a family celebhration in their room until almost midnight. We're having one of our busiest summers ever and are booked up until well into October.
Hear-hear! So often in business, as in all of life, a small percent of people can soak up a large percent of the resources (time, energy, attention, etc.); guest so loutish probably won't be missed by their fellow guests. Find your happy medium, make money but don't kill yourself doing it!
wink_smile.gif

Back