What would you put in these jars?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
Was looking at Deneen Pottery's website last week and saw these really cute little jars/crocks. I tried posting the pic but it kept getting cut off, so here is the link, Bottom left, the smallest size crock with a lid:
http://www.deneenpottery.com/tableware.html
I want to put one of these in each guest room with some kind of goody, what would you fill them with? I was thinking Hershey's Kisses but I already keep a bowl of them in the living room. I think something individually wrapped would be good, maybe the Hershey's nuggets. What's your favorite little snack type thing that you would like to have available in a guest room where you were staying?

They are very nice looking..but did you see pricing..Min.$400!!!! Don't think you need that many crocks!

They are very nice looking..but did you see pricing..Min.$400!!!! Don't think you need that many crocks!.
?? The small ones are $8.50/each and only minimum order of 5. I would get 9 for our rooms, and hubs just pointed out that as soon as we get them someone will want to buy them so I'll probably start with a dozen and see how we do.
We had their mugs for a few years and then bought coasters just to use in the rooms and the dining room. People immediately wanted to buy them. Now we carry mugs, coasters, magnets and Christmas ornaments. They do really well for us.
Plus Deneen is family owned and their customer service is awesome, I absolutely love doing business with them.

They are very nice looking..but did you see pricing..Min.$400!!!! Don't think you need that many crocks!.
?? The small ones are $8.50/each and only minimum order of 5. I would get 9 for our rooms, and hubs just pointed out that as soon as we get them someone will want to buy them so I'll probably start with a dozen and see how we do.
We had their mugs for a few years and then bought coasters just to use in the rooms and the dining room. People immediately wanted to buy them. Now we carry mugs, coasters, magnets and Christmas ornaments. They do really well for us.
Plus Deneen is family owned and their customer service is awesome, I absolutely love doing business with them.
If you have done business with them before then they have your logo and set up on file already. that will save you. I agree..nice company. Have always liked their things. I was referring to this page of info for ordering. or see this page.

If you have done business with them before then they have your logo and set up on file already. that will save you. I agree..nice company. Have always liked their things. I was referring to this page of info for ordering. or see this page.
Got ya. But we are all set up with them so no worries there.
Back to the original question: As a guest, what would you like to see IN the crocks?

Back to the original question: As a guest, what would you like to see IN the crocks?
I love those nuggets! Would guests know there was something in there for them with tops on? Mine would think they were 'decor'.

Candy jar full of chocolates gets my vote...even if just hershey kisses :)

Wintergreen Lifesavers bought in bulk. Not messy like chocolate, and when guests breathe on you, you won't tip over! :)

I also keep the Lifesaver mints in a big bin in the living room...prevents the dreaded coffee breath!
I thought about chocolate too and not wanting them in the guest rooms. I'm hoping if it's something bite-sized it won't get messy.
We got in late to our b&b on Sunday night, I was really hoping for a cookie but they were all gone. I would have loved just a little bite of something before bed. Are there any kind of small shortbread cookies that would be individually wrapped? I guess I'm going to have to pay attention next time we go to Costco.

I also keep the Lifesaver mints in a big bin in the living room...prevents the dreaded coffee breath!
I thought about chocolate too and not wanting them in the guest rooms. I'm hoping if it's something bite-sized it won't get messy.
We got in late to our b&b on Sunday night, I was really hoping for a cookie but they were all gone. I would have loved just a little bite of something before bed. Are there any kind of small shortbread cookies that would be individually wrapped? I guess I'm going to have to pay attention next time we go to Costco..
Sorry but a store bought wrapped shortbread would not be something I would want to find in my room:-( Needs to be homemade or at least a good quality soft chocolate chip cookie. Hershey kisses aren't messy. I had all sorts of wrapped chocolates in my room...never had a problem with any of them.
Or, maybe you could get some of those wrapped personalized M & M's

We got in late to our b&b on Sunday night, I was really hoping for a cookie but they were all gone. I would have loved just a little bite of something before bed. Are there any kind of small shortbread cookies that would be individually wrapped? I guess I'm going to have to pay attention next time we go to Costco..
There are little biscotti or amaretti cookies that are indvidually wrapped, often for sale at Costco or online at Amazon (my new most favorite source for bulk groceries).

Let me be the first to ask
How much are you willing to spend PER ROOM PER NIGHT to fill these little fellas?
Do they need to be indiv wrapped or could you put in...seasonal items, ie this time of year Candy Corn?
Is there anything regional that would be clever? Wait! Don't answer that. I had guests check out today who live 45 min's from you and VERY regional - so that answer without being my answer is indeed my answer. Capiche? Too bad you couldn't get a wholesale discount from that "regional" place of which I speak.

How much are you willing to spend PER ROOM PER NIGHT to fill these little fellas?
Do they need to be indiv wrapped or could you put in...seasonal items, ie this time of year Candy Corn?
Is there anything regional that would be clever? Wait! Don't answer that. I had guests check out today who live 45 min's from you and VERY regional - so that answer without being my answer is indeed my answer. Capiche? Too bad you couldn't get a wholesale discount from that "regional" place of which I speak..
Yeah, regional is a good choice and the price is reasonable as well...I was just wondering what type of treat you all would love to have. Lots of rooms and lots of crocks, so nothing too outrageous.

There are little biscotti or amaretti cookies that are indvidually wrapped, often for sale at Costco or online at Amazon (my new most favorite source for bulk groceries).
Oh, I forgot Amazon sells groceries! I looked and they do have the Walker's shortbread cookies individually wrapped (I LOVE Walkers!) but it looks like they are pretty pricey.

Is there anything regional that would be clever? Wait! Don't answer that. I had guests check out today who live 45 min's from you and VERY regional - so that answer without being my answer is indeed my answer. Capiche? Too bad you couldn't get a wholesale discount from that "regional" place of which I speak..
Yeah, regional is a good choice and the price is reasonable as well...I was just wondering what type of treat you all would love to have. Lots of rooms and lots of crocks, so nothing too outrageous.
InnsiderInfo said:
I could say it aloud but then you would have to kill me.
Let me put it this way - to me there are two options. Wrapped or unwrapped goodies. If it is prewrapped items like, for example mini reese's pb cups, they would have to unwrap them, and it slows them down.
On the down side, they are wrapped so they can toss into their hand bags easy enough for the road. If it is wrapped you don't need to worry about moisture or heat or germs.
For me, I prefer salt over candy, or chocolate. I would like something like that, those little bags of roasted peanuts, etc. But the cost goes up.
My vote is something regional. Something seasonal and regional would be even better if you aren't stuck with said seasonal regional after season ends...the only drawback.
tounge_smile.gif

InnsiderInfo said:
I could say it aloud but then you would have to kill me.
Let me put it this way - to me there are two options. Wrapped or unwrapped goodies. If it is prewrapped items like, for example mini reese's pb cups, they would have to unwrap them, and it slows them down.
On the down side, they are wrapped so they can toss into their hand bags easy enough for the road. If it is wrapped you don't need to worry about moisture or heat or germs.
For me, I prefer salt over candy, or chocolate. I would like something like that, those little bags of roasted peanuts, etc. But the cost goes up.
My vote is something regional. Something seasonal and regional would be even better if you aren't stuck with said seasonal regional after season ends...the only drawback.
tounge_smile.gif

Regional would be good. But it has to be individual wrapped or in small packets...otherwise, well you toss it after the guests have gone because you don't want their crummy germs on stuff ...yuk!

I have baskets with bananas, apples, and packs of mini-cookies (8 for $1 package at my grocery) and those various cheese & cracker packages on the dressers.
Rather than candy have you thought of pretzle nuggets?

I have baskets with bananas, apples, and packs of mini-cookies (8 for $1 package at my grocery) and those various cheese & cracker packages on the dressers.
Rather than candy have you thought of pretzle nuggets?.
This is a good thought since we already keep the Hershey's Kisses, mini Peppermint Patties, and Lifesavers Mints out in the living room. I think we are heading to Costco next week, I'll see what they have in terms of savory snacks.

Rather than candy have you thought of pretzle nuggets?.
This is a good thought since we already keep the Hershey's Kisses, mini Peppermint Patties, and Lifesavers Mints out in the living room. I think we are heading to Costco next week, I'll see what they have in terms of savory snacks.
If an asst would fit...salty and sweet.
Right now we have the Halloween leftovers in the hallway leading to the guest rooms. Better they should eat it than me. But every single person has said, 'Oh, looks like the Halloween assortment I got,' so it won't be long before guests are thinking, 'Hey, that's old. Probably stale,' and they won't touch it. Then I go back to the kisses, which can sit there for months and no one knows.
I'd love to do regional but regional costs big bucks. Nothing is small enough, either.

Back