What would you say?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StefS.

Reaction score
Had a corp. guest lastnight meaning he only got the cont. breakfast this morning. (Fruit, yogurt, juice and fresh pastry) Upon check in we always ask our guests if they have any dietary needs or anything they just don't like. It's also made clear that breakfast is chef's choice but we will do our BEST to work around you. Anyway....guest says he is a vegan which is fine. Can only have fruit no yogurt, wheat toast, tea, OJ and soy milk. We don't ever have soy milk and he was unhappy to hear this. This morning he seemed very short and unhappy with the specialy prepared breakfast. Also did not like that the OJ was fresh squeezed and wanted store bought?!? I suppose my question is if a guest comes in with all these special requests do you go to the store and get things or do you make do? I think that if I was so strict on what I ate I'd take things with me to eat that I knew I liked...

Did you ask for dietary restrictions in advance, or just at check-in?
Not to be insensitive, but if I chose to follow a strict diet (and I have travelled with friends who do) I'd expect to have to compromise pretty often, especially when travelling outside of the big cities. And who doesn't like fresh oj??
I noticed on your website, though, that you have a restaurant. Do you come across vegans or lactose-intolerant customers often there, because soy milk might be something you'd want to have on hand. You can get individual-serving cartons that last practically forever.

Probably did not like the pulp, rather than the fresh-squeezed idea. Some people can't stand the texture.
Like Stephanie said, you can get some 'juice box' size soy or rice milks to have on hand. I drink soy milk so it's no biggie to have it on hand for vegans or lactose intolerant guests. But only if we know that before they arrive. All of our shopping is done before check-in time.

Not to be insensitive, but if I chose to follow a strict diet (and I have travelled with friends who do) I'd expect to have to compromise pretty often, especially when travelling outside of the big cities. And who doesn't like fresh oj??
I noticed on your website, though, that you have a restaurant. Do you come across vegans or lactose-intolerant customers often there, because soy milk might be something you'd want to have on hand. You can get individual-serving cartons that last practically forever..
stephanie said:
I am amazed! Do your friends compromise? It seems the trend is to be more demanding when told that we may not be able to accommodate a particular diet.

Soy milk is something you can keep on hand and not even need refrigerated until you actually need to use it. I think this would be something you should have on hand. But given the fact that he did let you know ahead of time, I would have purchased it. It is available just about everywhere now. This is not an unusual request given some of the things we have dealt with.
I am not sure about that fresh squeezed juice, but maybe the pulp was the thing. I mean something like that is a bit over the top uNLESS, he specifically asked for it IN ADVANCE. I mean you can't be a mind reader...
We do our best and if that still doesn't please them...sorry...they pay, they stay, they go away as we are reminded so often.

I noticed on your website, though, that you have a restaurant. Do you come across vegans or lactose-intolerant customers often there, because soy milk might be something you'd want to have on hand. You can get individual-serving cartons that last practically forever..
stephanie said:
I am amazed! Do your friends compromise? It seems the trend is to be more demanding when told that we may not be able to accommodate a particular diet.
Granted, we were outside the US, where "vegan" isn't even a recognized word. We went to nice restaurants in touristy areas where they said the fried potatoes were vegan and they had little pieces of bacon sitting on top!
I'd think vegetarians can expect to be accommodated pretty much anywhere nowadays, but I'd have thought most vegans or those with severe food allergies would try to make that known BEFORE check-in, especially at a small lodging establishment. I don't think you should be expected to run out and buy something that night.
There are some things I don't eat or drink by choice and things that I'm allergic to. When they're put in front of me, I politely turn them down. I don't ask for a substitute. Especially in someone's home, but even in a restaurant. But I know what you mean, some people just want to test you by asserting their rights.
That being said, better to keep the common non-perishables like soy milk on hand. Raises the bar for B&Bs, I would think, to a level where hotels are already expected to be.
Again, I'm still an aspiring, so I'm speaking from a guest's point of view, and a hypothetical innkeeper's. But I definitely appreciate ALL the stories, and am taking notes! Soy milk has been added to the future shopping list!

stephanie said:
Granted, we were outside the US, where "vegan" isn't even a recognized word. We went to nice restaurants in touristy areas where they said the fried potatoes were vegan and they had little pieces of bacon sitting on top!
I'd think vegetarians can expect to be accommodated pretty much anywhere nowadays, but I'd have thought most vegans or those with severe food allergies would try to make that known BEFORE check-in, especially at a small lodging establishment. I don't think you should be expected to run out and buy something that night.
There are some things I don't eat or drink by choice and things that I'm allergic to. When they're put in front of me, I politely turn them down. I don't ask for a substitute. Especially in someone's home, but even in a restaurant. But I know what you mean, some people just want to test you by asserting their rights.
That being said, better to keep the common non-perishables like soy milk on hand. Raises the bar for B&Bs, I would think, to a level where hotels are already expected to be.
Again, I'm still an aspiring, so I'm speaking from a guest's point of view, and a hypothetical innkeeper's. But I definitely appreciate ALL the stories, and am taking notes! Soy milk has been added to the future shopping list!
stephanie said:
I have never been to a hotel that offered soy anything. Maybe if they had a regular restaurant attached, but not the ones that have a continental breakfast only.

stephanie said:
Hm... guess I can't think of one either! All the better for those of you that do, then!
Just goes to show this guy probably would have made a fit just about anywhere, and if it wasn't the soy milk, it'd be the soy yogurt.

you do the best you can, that's all you can do. maybe your guest just isn't a 'morning person' ...
one person's idea of vegetarian can be totally different from another's. some are practically vegan ... others i've had here eat everything except bacon!
i keep forgetting to have a carton of almond breeze or something on hand for a no milk person.

stephanie said:
DH pretty much sticks to the "if it tastes good spit it out" diet. I think that is why he is in a nasty mood so often. When we travel anywhere - we take his breakfast with us, ready to eat.
I do ask when taking a reservation about diet needs and they still forget to mention things, mainly (imo) because they are so used to not having it that they forget others really use things like cinnamon, bananas, etc (Dad finally remembered to mentiion no gluten but forgot until they were here to say no bananas and no eggs).
I have had 2 guests (years apart thank goodness) who ate noting that was cooked. I plumped the raisins by soaking them - not cooking - and she did not touch the raisins.
I do not keep soy milk on hand. My daughter drinks Silk a soy milk I think that I can get at my grocery and she did not even touch it while she was here! And to my knowledge, I will not NEED it until October! It will not keep that long. Oh well....

I've got a vegan coming in a week or two. I've told her there will be fruit, and I know I can get soy milk, but I haven't even begun to investigate what else I'm feeding her. Dh once had a book out from the library full of vegan recipes, so there are recipes out there and I'm sure I'll find something.
=)
Kk.

I've got a vegan coming in a week or two. I've told her there will be fruit, and I know I can get soy milk, but I haven't even begun to investigate what else I'm feeding her. Dh once had a book out from the library full of vegan recipes, so there are recipes out there and I'm sure I'll find something.
=)
Kk..
I once cooked brown rice with raisins and grated carrots and then pressed it into a flower cupcake (Wilton) pan (I also have a maple leaf pan) and unmolded onto a plate. Then surrounded the "flower" with small broccoli "trees" and mushroom caps. Attractive, colorful, vegan, and EASY!

=)
Kk..
I once cooked brown rice with raisins and grated carrots and then pressed it into a flower cupcake (Wilton) pan (I also have a maple leaf pan) and unmolded onto a plate. Then surrounded the "flower" with small broccoli "trees" and mushroom caps. Attractive, colorful, vegan, and EASY!
Show off!
tounge_smile.gif

=)
Kk..
You can use the firm tofu (drain & crumble) and put it in a scramble with fresh veggies and tofu cheese. See if you can find "Buttery Sticks" a vegan margarine/butter substitute that tastes good & acts more like butter. I found a vegan French Toast recipe & it was pretty good too which used mashed banana as the thickener & soy milk. Just search online & you'll find some things that are pretty simple to make and tasty.

=)
Kk..
You can use the firm tofu (drain & crumble) and put it in a scramble with fresh veggies and tofu cheese. See if you can find "Buttery Sticks" a vegan margarine/butter substitute that tastes good & acts more like butter. I found a vegan French Toast recipe & it was pretty good too which used mashed banana as the thickener & soy milk. Just search online & you'll find some things that are pretty simple to make and tasty.
I have made my regular French toast recipe with almond milk and soy margarine - served it to everyone. Scrambled tofu is good. If it is cold, old-fashioned oatmeal or steel-cut oats made with apple cider and grated apple, with raisins and brown sugar on top, is also good.
I have someone coming next week who is allergic to eggs, dairy and sugar. I have a lot of dishes that don't have two of those items but not many that avoid all three.

I have a recipe for Pumpkin Pie oatmeal. It's a nice change of pace.

stephanie said:
stephanie said:
I have never been to a hotel that offered soy anything. Maybe if they had a regular restaurant attached, but not the ones that have a continental breakfast only.
That's why a B & B is better...we provide what they can't get at a hotel:) Our service is tops!

=)
Kk..
I have made my regular French toast recipe with almond milk and soy margarine - served it to everyone. Scrambled tofu is good. If it is cold, old-fashioned oatmeal or steel-cut oats made with apple cider and grated apple, with raisins and brown sugar on top, is also good.
I have someone coming next week who is allergic to eggs, dairy and sugar. I have a lot of dishes that don't have two of those items but not many that avoid all three.
SOMETIMES..it just gets to the point where you just ask...what do you want for breakfast? If you can accommodate that..fine..if not..tell them so. If they want to stay with you, many times they just bring what they can eat with them. Promise to try, but no guarantees. That is all you can do.

=)
Kk..
Those suggestions do sound good!
Wow, with those allergies it is tough. No sugar...waaaah!

=)
Kk..
SOMETIMES..it just gets to the point where you just ask...what do you want for breakfast? If you can accommodate that..fine..if not..tell them so. If they want to stay with you, many times they just bring what they can eat with them. Promise to try, but no guarantees. That is all you can do.
That is exactly what I asked this woman. Glad I did - she doesn't like oatmeal but does like tofu. So I have one breakfast, and she may get the same thing two days in a row!
On the other hand, I don't find it a problem to keep rice bread in the freezer, gluten-free baking mix in the pantry, and the shelf-stable boxes of tofu, soy milk and rice milk on hand for just such a case. These things are even relatively easy to find - maybe not within the town limits but certainly within ten miles of me.

Back