Whatever it is it isn't enough

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't realize NH had a beach. I need to look at the map more!
My itinerary so far... very much in draft form:
Day 1 (Partial day) Drive to Rochester, NY
Day 2 National Museum of Play (Children's Museum), drive to Ticonderoga
Day 3 Fort Ticonderoga, Ben & Jerry's Factory in Waterbury, VT. Possibly swing through Burlington, VT, but probaby not. Stay somewhere in VT or NH.
Day 4 Mount Washington, drive to Maine
Day 5, 6 In Maine (don't know where yet, probably mid-coast)
Day 7, Maine / drive to Boston
Day 8, Boston all day
Day 9, Drive as far west as I can, by way RI and CT (and Plymouth Rock????)
Day 10 (Partial), Drive remainder home, hopefully arriving by 11 a.m. ish
Kathleen... I agree Mt. Washington Cog is expensive, but I'm going to do it. And another friend recommended the Gray Line Tour in Boston... again a lot more than I'd normally like to spend, but probably the best way for us to do Boston in a day.
I'm trying not to overplan and stay loose, but the organizer part of me wants to know where I'm staying each and every night. So far only the Boston lodging is set. I have decided not to even try to camp... which will save time and space in my car. I might try to find a cabin in Maine...
But I am starting to get excited about it!
=)
Kk..
Take the Beantown trolley in Boston. You can get on and off at will all day. Go to the USS Constitution FIRST. The lines get VERY long as the day goes on.
At Fort Ticonderoga there is a (or was) small car ferry across the river to Vermont. It was my kids first ferry ride. It is still there - a 7-minute ride and it is not a river, it is Lake Champlain. http://www.forttiferry.com/page2.html The Fort is great. Tip - unless you have a reservation somewhere, get a room no later than 6 PM I wanted to stop in Albany but it was 6 PM & DH wanted to go farther. Lake George - no vacancy, EVERYWHERE - no vacancy. We slept in the 5-passenger Jeep Cherokee - 2 adults, a 6'3" 18 yo, a 16 yo 5'2", a 16 yo 5'11', and a 12 yo 5'3". It was NOT a comfortable night.
Found the Old Town Trolley - hop on and off also and online tickets are cheaper - http://www.trolleytours.com/boston/rates-and-reservations.asp
The other is this http://www.allbostontours.com/body.asp?tour=BOS-B0006&page=TourDetails
Wow, Kathleen!
I'm spending all this time trying to get the house ready (while I'm gone a group has use of my kitchen and laundry room... which are now both cleaner than they've been in a long time!) and you've found all this great info for me. THANK YOU!!!
I went to Fort Ti the summer I turned 10 and I remember the ferry... it's definitely on my do list. I'll keep in mind about the lodging... I might even make a reservation or two between now and when I leave! It's weird that I'm heading for Maine and that's the part of the trip I've planned the least. Madeline sent me a package of information a few years back and I know it's still here somewhere... hopefully I'll get to it tomorrow or Sunday!
You've gone above and beyond... and I really appreciate it! Oh, and I'll keep in mind the Constitution advice... I was thinking about which things I wanted to do first. Oh, and I think the Gray Line Tour is the same as the Beantown Trolley.
=)
Kk.

Day 3 Fort Ticonderoga, Ben & Jerry's Factory in Waterbury, VT. Possibly swing through Burlington, VT, but probaby not. Stay somewhere in VT or NH.
Day 8, Boston all day
Kathleen... I agree Mt. Washington Cog is expensive, but I'm going to do it. And another friend recommended the Gray Line Tour in Boston... again a lot more than I'd normally like to spend, but probably the best way for us to do Boston in a day.
I'm trying not to overplan and stay loose, but the organizer part of me wants to know where I'm staying each and every night. So far only the Boston lodging is set. I have decided not to even try to camp... which will save time and space in my car. I might try to find a cabin in Maine...
=)
Kk..
You know who has really pretty cabins/cottages in MidCoast with a kid-friendly atmospere...Harborfields. I drove over there a few weeks ago (I missed meeting them) but I took some great photos and the other guests I met were really nice. It's a wonderful location. The aquarium is at the end of the same road.

This is a great article by Seth.
If you offer sodas/other cold refreshments guests are delighted. The next place they stay they expect it or think there is something lacking at the inn. and so on and so on... Then, they stay at an inn that charges for bottles of water or soda! Now what! That one little item will sway their whole experience.
I always remember the gal from Canada who ran the very remote B&B in Costa Rica on her own and sold the bottles of water, which seemed extreme to most people, but she had to physically go through the jungle and 25 miles to retrieve these and so to her they were like gold. Same with the showers, the water was pumped up from the river at the bottom of this mountain, so to shower, it was like gold. She wanted people to realize the expense and effort of these items, and so charged accordingly.
Our value on something is not always accurate. You have had guests or know people who do not give a rip about anything, any effort, any additional amenities, they expect them or the more you give the more they take..
its what hacks me off with 4 in a bed sometimes - remote bb in highlands of scotland very little tourist trade and is a low rate and you have to have everything to beat the competition
Another bb in central london where property prices are sky high means you will pay twice as much for less ie $200 is cheap so you have to reflect the value in relation to the cost - ie room in wimbledon during the tennis or monticarlo during the Formula one - ie for the red bull team it was cheaper to build a barge and have it on the water than stay in a hotel!
its what hacks me off with 4 in a bed sometimes - remote bb in highlands of scotland very little tourist trade and is a low rate and you have to have everything to beat the competition
Another bb in central london where property prices are sky high means you will pay twice as much for less ie $200 is cheap so you have to reflect the value in relation to the cost - ie room in wimbledon during the tennis or monticarlo during the Formula one - ie for the red bull team it was cheaper to build a barge and have it on the water than stay in a hotel!
I hear ya! I always say "a Motel 6 in NY is $200 a night, elsewhere the same stinky generic chain is $29 bucks."
I know another innkeeper here and myself seriousely considered buying an inn in the White Mountains of NH (N Conway area) and when I was there I was blown away by the room rates, there was so much competition, in it's hey day before the economic crash they were $89 for the whole she-bang. It was ridiculous! And each inn had to offer more and more to keep up. And yet, they were swamped, had plenty of guests to go round.
I am still surprised by the extremely low rates in NH. The motels here are up to $69/night. It IS a big leap to think that you're going to get an additional $100 in experience by staying here. The person who doesn't make that leap is going strictly on price.
Madeleine said:
I am still surprised by the extremely low rates in NH. The motels here are up to $69/night. It IS a big leap to think that you're going to get an additional $100 in experience by staying here. The person who doesn't make that leap is going strictly on price.
Because who goes to NH?
wink_smile.gif

I'm planning my New England trip (since it's next week, I guess I'd better get around to it) and except that Mount Washington is there I know very little about NH. My kids want to see the ocean!
=)
Kk.
15 years ago (when we lived there), I could have told you all about neat, beautiful places to go. Now, I bet it's just grown into that urban sprawl combining with Boston and Nashua. :(
I'd recommend the Boston Children's Museum of Science. However, it's been 15 years since I've been there, too... I'm guessing it's changed slightly ;)

Day 8, Boston all day
=)
Kk..
Take the Beantown trolley in Boston. You can get on and off at will all day. Go to the USS Constitution FIRST. The lines get VERY long as the day goes on.
At Fort Ticonderoga there is a (or was) small car ferry across the river to Vermont. It was my kids first ferry ride. It is still there - a 7-minute ride and it is not a river, it is Lake Champlain. http://www.forttiferry.com/page2.html The Fort is great. Tip - unless you have a reservation somewhere, get a room no later than 6 PM I wanted to stop in Albany but it was 6 PM & DH wanted to go farther. Lake George - no vacancy, EVERYWHERE - no vacancy. We slept in the 5-passenger Jeep Cherokee - 2 adults, a 6'3" 18 yo, a 16 yo 5'2", a 16 yo 5'11', and a 12 yo 5'3". It was NOT a comfortable night.
Found the Old Town Trolley - hop on and off also and online tickets are cheaper - http://www.trolleytours.com/boston/rates-and-reservations.asp
The other is this http://www.allbostontours.com/body.asp?tour=BOS-B0006&page=TourDetails
Wow, Kathleen!
I'm spending all this time trying to get the house ready (while I'm gone a group has use of my kitchen and laundry room... which are now both cleaner than they've been in a long time!) and you've found all this great info for me. THANK YOU!!!
I went to Fort Ti the summer I turned 10 and I remember the ferry... it's definitely on my do list. I'll keep in mind about the lodging... I might even make a reservation or two between now and when I leave! It's weird that I'm heading for Maine and that's the part of the trip I've planned the least. Madeline sent me a package of information a few years back and I know it's still here somewhere... hopefully I'll get to it tomorrow or Sunday!
You've gone above and beyond... and I really appreciate it! Oh, and I'll keep in mind the Constitution advice... I was thinking about which things I wanted to do first. Oh, and I think the Gray Line Tour is the same as the Beantown Trolley.
=)
Kk.
Fanuil Hall and Quincy Markets are at the same stop - a VERY good stop. The Hall is wonderful history for the home schooled (or anyone interested in history as I am) and the markets are an education in themselves. Buildings of booths selling everything imaginable. I remember it and I am not a "shopper". Glad I could help. If you go to Philly get the hiladelphia pretzles with mustard - sold everywhere and wonderful and unknown to me until too late, not expensive.
After we left Boston we went to Lexington & Concord on our way north. Our trip started at Valley Forge as we had been to Gettysburg but miss Valley. Then to Philly for 2 nights for the one full day - it was needed, then Morristown, NJ on our way to Fishkill, Ny (hotel). That sto[ was so we could go to Hyde Park (we also did one of the Vanderbuilt mansions) and the air show and air museum at Rhinebeck, NY. We did Boston, Lex & Conc, Springfield (armory for the boys & basketball hall of fame for Sheryl), then on to Ft Ti. We did not do much in Vermont, the Cog Railroad and dinner w/friends in Manchester and on to Maine for the windjammer. This was supposed to be a 4-week trip but got cut to 4 days less due to Daddy deciding to try to die from pneumonia - he didn't so we went ahead with the trip, Ohio was to be the first 2 days of the trip to see him anyway. (He died 10 years later).

Day 8, Boston all day
=)
Kk..
If you go to VT, we love this Chinese restaurant that serves family style, "A Single Pebble", it's downtown and usually needs a reservation.

Day 8, Boston all day
=)
Kk..
If you go to VT, we love this Chinese restaurant that serves family style, "A Single Pebble", it's downtown and usually needs a reservation.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Burlington? Where? (What street, I mean! Not what Burlington.)
Is it where the Vietnamese restaurant used to be?

Day 8, Boston all day
=)
Kk..
Plymouth Rock is a real tourist trap....pay money to look at a rock that is roped into an enclosure. Underwhelming for sure. Really, skip it. But, with that said, Plimouth Plantation is worth the time and $. PP is a period museum with all characters in costume, going about their daily chores. It is a smaller, earlier version of Williamsburg, featuring both a Settler's village and Native American village...teepees and all. We have taken kids there and they love it.

Day 8, Boston all day
=)
Kk..
Wow, Kathleen!
=)
Kk.
Fanuil Hall and Quincy Markets are at the same stop - a VERY good stop. The Hall is wonderful history for the home schooled (or anyone interested in history as I am) and the markets are an education in themselves. Buildings of booths selling everything imaginable. I remember it and I am not a "shopper". Glad I could help. If you go to Philly get the hiladelphia pretzles with mustard - sold everywhere and wonderful and unknown to me until too late, not expensive.
After we left Boston we went to Lexington & Concord on our way north. Our trip started at Valley Forge as we had been to Gettysburg but miss Valley. Then to Philly for 2 nights for the one full day - it was needed, then Morristown, NJ on our way to Fishkill, Ny (hotel). That sto[ was so we could go to Hyde Park (we also did one of the Vanderbuilt mansions) and the air show and air museum at Rhinebeck, NY. We did Boston, Lex & Conc, Springfield (armory for the boys & basketball hall of fame for Sheryl), then on to Ft Ti. We did not do much in Vermont, the Cog Railroad and dinner w/friends in Manchester and on to Maine for the windjammer. This was supposed to be a 4-week trip but got cut to 4 days less due to Daddy deciding to try to die from pneumonia - he didn't so we went ahead with the trip, Ohio was to be the first 2 days of the trip to see him anyway. (He died 10 years later).
Not sure when was the last time you were in Faneuil Hall, but it's become very touristy - shops along the lines of Urban Outfitters, Ann Taylor and Victoria's Secret and restaurants like the fake Cheers bar and Ned Devine's Irish Pub. The history is interesting but it's not much more than an outside suburban shopping mall.
If you walk around the North End Church and the Paul Revere House, you'll be in Boston's version of Little Italy with a lot of Italian markets and dining. It's more interesting than Faneuil Hall as a market, IMO.
Boston as a city is small and compact, and you can get to a lot of places just walking. The T (subway) works very well there, and is safe, although it's a little confusing right in downtown because there is no central station like the NY subway system. A day pass, which includes the local buses, is $11. A map is here.

Day 8, Boston all day
=)
Kk..
Wow, Kathleen!
=)
Kk.
Not sure when was the last time you were in Faneuil Hall, but it's become very touristy - shops along the lines of Urban Outfitters, Ann Taylor and Victoria's Secret and restaurants like the fake Cheers bar and Ned Devine's Irish Pub. The history is interesting but it's not much more than an outside suburban shopping mall.
If you walk around the North End Church and the Paul Revere House, you'll be in Boston's version of Little Italy with a lot of Italian markets and dining. It's more interesting than Faneuil Hall as a market, IMO.
Boston as a city is small and compact, and you can get to a lot of places just walking. The T (subway) works very well there, and is safe, although it's a little confusing right in downtown because there is no central station like the NY subway system. A day pass, which includes the local buses, is $11. A map is here.
muirford said:
It's a really neat area of the city- loved it!

Day 8, Boston all day
=)
Kk..
Vermont covers a lot of territory. Where in Vermont? Montpelier? Rutland? Brattleboro? Bennington?

Day 8, Boston all day
=)
Kk..
You know who has really pretty cabins/cottages in MidCoast with a kid-friendly atmospere...Harborfields. I drove over there a few weeks ago (I missed meeting them) but I took some great photos and the other guests I met were really nice. It's a wonderful location. The aquarium is at the end of the same road.
Madeleine said:
Thanks for the plug Maddie. Yellow Socks, we do have some openings this week (7/7 to 7/14).....

Day 8, Boston all day
=)
Kk..
Vermont covers a lot of territory. Where in Vermont? Montpelier? Rutland? Brattleboro? Bennington?
Sorry, it's in Burlington on Bank. http://www.asinglepebble.com/
It's a very interesting location, it's like three houses that are connected on the inside.

Day 8, Boston all day
=)
Kk..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Bank street, right opposite the mall, close to the Church street marketplace. Don't know where the Vietnamese restaurant used to be.
Then again, for breakfast or lunch there is Penny Cluse, probably one of the best places in all of Burlington, but it's breakfast.... I'm home for breakfast :)

Day 8, Boston all day
=)
Kk..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Bank street, right opposite the mall, close to the Church street marketplace. Don't know where the Vietnamese restaurant used to be.
Then again, for breakfast or lunch there is Penny Cluse, probably one of the best places in all of Burlington, but it's breakfast.... I'm home for breakfast :)
Eric Arthur Blair said:
That is the location of the old Vietnamese restaurant. Cafe Saigon or something similar. You walked into the front door of one of the houses. I've never eaten at Penny Cluse. Just cannot get up early to eat breakfast. But I have heard it's really good. Maybe next time we're there and we have to get on the road early. (Altho, the daughter who lives there is now talking about moving out to Vegas near her step brother.)

Day 8, Boston all day
=)
Kk..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
That is the location of the old Vietnamese restaurant. Cafe Saigon or something similar. You walked into the front door of one of the houses. I've never eaten at Penny Cluse. Just cannot get up early to eat breakfast. But I have heard it's really good. Maybe next time we're there and we have to get on the road early. (Altho, the daughter who lives there is now talking about moving out to Vegas near her step brother.)
We go to Burlington most often now, since they have a Costco. We used to go to NY, but the Costco is too much of a draw. I remember the old gas station that was Ben and Jerry's, College at St-Paul. There was a plaque on the corner.
I have to admit that I have taken MoH to see the Shelburne Museum and I should. We usually go off-season for a weekend and it's closed by then. Which is why we also haven't seen the Ben and Jerry's cemetary, it's down for the winter by the time we can go visit.

Day 8, Boston all day
=)
Kk..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
We go to Burlington most often now, since they have a Costco. We used to go to NY, but the Costco is too much of a draw. I remember the old gas station that was Ben and Jerry's, College at St-Paul. There was a plaque on the corner.
I have to admit that I have taken MoH to see the Shelburne Museum and I should. We usually go off-season for a weekend and it's closed by then. Which is why we also haven't seen the Ben and Jerry's cemetary, it's down for the winter by the time we can go visit.
Never realized the museum closed! You have not seen the museum until you've seen it 4 times on school trips as chaperone. Save me.

Day 8, Boston all day
=)
Kk..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Never realized the museum closed! You have not seen the museum until you've seen it 4 times on school trips as chaperone. Save me.
The outdoor part does for the winter, if I remember correctl. Basically the season is until the end of October.

Day 8, Boston all day
=)
Kk..
Madeleine said:
Thanks for the plug Maddie. Yellow Socks, we do have some openings this week (7/7 to 7/14).....
Harborfields said:
Madeleine said:
Ack! I'm too late!
You're booked. Maddie's booked. Tipsy is booked. The cottage I liked the looks of is booked.
Besides, Harborfields, you take week long bookings... I'm just looking for a three night weekend (7/13-15), but obviously 7/14 is a primo night in Maine. Actually, it is here, too.
Whoops... Guess I'd better get researching and pick somewhere and book it.
=/
Kk.

Day 8, Boston all day
=)
Kk..
Madeleine said:
Harborfields said:
Madeleine said:
Ack! I'm too late!
You're booked. Maddie's booked. Tipsy is booked. The cottage I liked the looks of is booked.
Besides, Harborfields, you take week long bookings... I'm just looking for a three night weekend (7/13-15), but obviously 7/14 is a primo night in Maine. Actually, it is here, too.
Whoops... Guess I'd better get researching and pick somewhere and book it.
=/
Kk.
Camp parents weekend. (One of two.) The parents all come to visit the campers.

Day 8, Boston all day
=)
Kk..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
We went to the museum today. It says that they close for the year on the 28th of October. I think the last time I was here was as a child. Enjoyed it, but it's a bit dear in price. of course it's half price for Vermont residents. Another VT rip off of us neighbours. (Lately the discussion around here has been about Burlington restaurants deciding to tack on a manditory gratuity if they hear you talking French... which is going to cost them in tourism dollars, because it's in every newspaper around here.)
Anyway, we took a day off and headed in the opposite direction. Back to real life tomorrow night. :) But the museum was fine. Now all we have to do is worry about dinner.

Back