Whatever it is it isn't enough

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
[h3]This is what we complain about all the time...reviews that say there wasn't value in the purchase...[/h3]
[h3] [/h3]
[h3]Usually, a lot is insufficient [/h3]
People don't care how much you offer them.
They care about whether you exceeded their expectations.
If you want to delight, if you want to create a remarkable experience, if you want people to talk about you or buy your stock, the secret is simple: give them more than they expected.
If I walk into your store and it looks and feels like stores I've been into before, my expectations are locked in. Now what? But if I walk into your showroom and it's like nothing I've ever experienced before, you get a chance to set my expectations, right? Marketing isn't merely bragging. Marketing creates a culture, tells a story and puts on a show.
In our rush to get picked or get noticed or build buzz, the instinct is to promise more. Perhaps it pays to promise less instead, to radically change expectations and to reset what it means to deliver on the promise of delight.

This is a great article by Seth.
If you offer sodas/other cold refreshments guests are delighted. The next place they stay they expect it or think there is something lacking at the inn. and so on and so on... Then, they stay at an inn that charges for bottles of water or soda! Now what! That one little item will sway their whole experience.
I always remember the gal from Canada who ran the very remote B&B in Costa Rica on her own and sold the bottles of water, which seemed extreme to most people, but she had to physically go through the jungle and 25 miles to retrieve these and so to her they were like gold. Same with the showers, the water was pumped up from the river at the bottom of this mountain, so to shower, it was like gold. She wanted people to realize the expense and effort of these items, and so charged accordingly.
Our value on something is not always accurate. You have had guests or know people who do not give a rip about anything, any effort, any additional amenities, they expect them or the more you give the more they take.

Value is such a subjective rating that I don't even know why it's there. Around here, if you see a room priced at under $100 in the summer, it's fleabag! There are places where you can get a lovely room for just $49 a night. So, if you are from $49 a night land, what does $149 a night mean to you in value? And yet, it might be perfectly reasonable considering what else is on offer. Can you really judge "value"?
But I do agree, don't talk up, leave room for you to exceed the expectations of guests. Have a few extras that you offer to delight. But that doesn't mean giving the house away.

If you offer sodas/other cold refreshments guests are delighted. The next place they stay they expect it or think there is something lacking at the inn. and so on and so on... Then, they stay at an inn that charges for bottles of water or soda! Now what! That one little item will sway their whole experience.
I always remember the gal from Canada who ran the very remote B&B in Costa Rica on her own and sold the bottles of water, which seemed extreme to most people, but she had to physically go through the jungle and 25 miles to retrieve these and so to her they were like gold. Same with the showers, the water was pumped up from the river at the bottom of this mountain, so to shower, it was like gold. She wanted people to realize the expense and effort of these items, and so charged accordingly.
Our value on something is not always accurate. You have had guests or know people who do not give a rip about anything, any effort, any additional amenities, they expect them or the more you give the more they take..
its what hacks me off with 4 in a bed sometimes - remote bb in highlands of scotland very little tourist trade and is a low rate and you have to have everything to beat the competition
Another bb in central london where property prices are sky high means you will pay twice as much for less ie $200 is cheap so you have to reflect the value in relation to the cost - ie room in wimbledon during the tennis or monticarlo during the Formula one - ie for the red bull team it was cheaper to build a barge and have it on the water than stay in a hotel!

Our value on something is not always accurate. You have had guests or know people who do not give a rip about anything, any effort, any additional amenities, they expect them or the more you give the more they take..
its what hacks me off with 4 in a bed sometimes - remote bb in highlands of scotland very little tourist trade and is a low rate and you have to have everything to beat the competition
Another bb in central london where property prices are sky high means you will pay twice as much for less ie $200 is cheap so you have to reflect the value in relation to the cost - ie room in wimbledon during the tennis or monticarlo during the Formula one - ie for the red bull team it was cheaper to build a barge and have it on the water than stay in a hotel!
I hear ya! I always say "a Motel 6 in NY is $200 a night, elsewhere the same stinky generic chain is $29 bucks."
I know another innkeeper here and myself seriousely considered buying an inn in the White Mountains of NH (N Conway area) and when I was there I was blown away by the room rates, there was so much competition, in it's hey day before the economic crash they were $89 for the whole she-bang. It was ridiculous! And each inn had to offer more and more to keep up. And yet, they were swamped, had plenty of guests to go round.

I hear ya! I always say "a Motel 6 in NY is $200 a night, elsewhere the same stinky generic chain is $29 bucks."
I know another innkeeper here and myself seriousely considered buying an inn in the White Mountains of NH (N Conway area) and when I was there I was blown away by the room rates, there was so much competition, in it's hey day before the economic crash they were $89 for the whole she-bang. It was ridiculous! And each inn had to offer more and more to keep up. And yet, they were swamped, had plenty of guests to go round.
I am still surprised by the extremely low rates in NH. The motels here are up to $69/night. It IS a big leap to think that you're going to get an additional $100 in experience by staying here. The person who doesn't make that leap is going strictly on price.

Very interesting article and something along the lines I have been hashing around in my head, athough his is far more indepth. Now more to think about and determine just where the threshold is - providing enough of the details to reel them in for the $ leaving enough asside to create the Ahhhhhh factor.

Joey Bloggs said:
Yet the same guest would NOT expect the same treatment at every hotel. We are put on a different pedestel while they know we are all unique.

Joey Bloggs said:
Yet the same guest would NOT expect the same treatment at every hotel. We are put on a different pedestel while they know we are all unique.
copperhead said:
Joey Bloggs said:
cheers.gif

Unique rocks!

it's so very hard!
you want guests to come stay and you say look, look at all i am offering ... but you don't want them to have their expectations too high ...
but i remember being out straight, doing all i could physically and money wise for guests and they were ... how to describe it? .... content but unimpressed ... and i felt defeated sometimes.
i remember some folks staying across the way, complaining and grumbling about no wifi and i said, 'we have free wifi at my place across the street' what?what?why not here then? as if i had any sway with what was offered there ... had they looked at my website? yes, but they always stayed with buddy ... customer loyalty.

I think guests just expect everything and there is no way to impress them by going beyond their expectations because there is no end to their expectations. We did handstands this week for 2 guests and all we got on departure was that they had a problem with their computer connecting to the internet. We made 4 meals for them totally to their specifications. Left out this and added that. And the parting comment was about the internet.

I think guests just expect everything and there is no way to impress them by going beyond their expectations because there is no end to their expectations. We did handstands this week for 2 guests and all we got on departure was that they had a problem with their computer connecting to the internet. We made 4 meals for them totally to their specifications. Left out this and added that. And the parting comment was about the internet..
Madeleine said:
We did handstands this week for 2 guests and all we got on departure was that they had a problem with their computer connecting to the internet. We made 4 meals for them totally to their specifications. Left out this and added that. And the parting comment was about the internet.
boooooo
that's what i mean. and it's not to say that there aren't swell guests, appreciative of the least little things. but the fussy ones ... who demand a lot ... expect a lot ... find something to grumble about ...
they remind me of a teacher who once told us (6th graders) she NEVER gave someone 100% or A+ on any test or paper 'because there is always room for improvement.' we used to argue with her, if all the answers are correct 100 out of 100, how can you not give 100% as the score? she would say, the penmanship needed improvement or there were smudges or some other bs
devil_smile.gif
we used to call her Mrs. Fussybritches behind her back

I think guests just expect everything and there is no way to impress them by going beyond their expectations because there is no end to their expectations. We did handstands this week for 2 guests and all we got on departure was that they had a problem with their computer connecting to the internet. We made 4 meals for them totally to their specifications. Left out this and added that. And the parting comment was about the internet..
Madeleine said:
We did handstands this week for 2 guests and all we got on departure was that they had a problem with their computer connecting to the internet. We made 4 meals for them totally to their specifications. Left out this and added that. And the parting comment was about the internet.
boooooo
that's what i mean. and it's not to say that there aren't swell guests, appreciative of the least little things. but the fussy ones ... who demand a lot ... expect a lot ... find something to grumble about ...
they remind me of a teacher who once told us (6th graders) she NEVER gave someone 100% or A+ on any test or paper 'because there is always room for improvement.' we used to argue with her, if all the answers are correct 100 out of 100, how can you not give 100% as the score? she would say, the penmanship needed improvement or there were smudges or some other bs
devil_smile.gif
we used to call her Mrs. Fussybritches behind her back
the last time I ever busted butt to get all 5s (A) on a report card was the time I had all 5s and 3 of them were 5+. Daddy's comment was - Why aren't they all 5+?

I am still surprised by the extremely low rates in NH. The motels here are up to $69/night. It IS a big leap to think that you're going to get an additional $100 in experience by staying here. The person who doesn't make that leap is going strictly on price.
Madeleine said:
Because who goes to NH?
wink_smile.gif

I'm planning my New England trip (since it's next week, I guess I'd better get around to it) and except that Mount Washington is there I know very little about NH. My kids want to see the ocean!
=)
Kk.

Madeleine said:
Because who goes to NH?
wink_smile.gif

I'm planning my New England trip (since it's next week, I guess I'd better get around to it) and except that Mount Washington is there I know very little about NH. My kids want to see the ocean!
=)
Kk.
NH is a state I have ignored almost all of my life! However, there is cheap beach in NH. BUT, it's honky tonk beach, so maybe not completely suitable for kids. (Bars, lots of drinking, semi-nudity off the beach, that sort of thing.)
Have you decided where you're going?

Madeleine said:
Because who goes to NH?
wink_smile.gif

=)
Kk.
NH is a state I have ignored almost all of my life! However, there is cheap beach in NH. BUT, it's honky tonk beach, so maybe not completely suitable for kids. (Bars, lots of drinking, semi-nudity off the beach, that sort of thing.)
Madeleine said:
...Bars, lots of drinking, semi-nudity off the beach, that sort of thing....
regular_smile.gif
Do you have GPS coordinates you can share?
regular_smile.gif

Madeleine said:
Because who goes to NH?
wink_smile.gif

=)
Kk.
It is pricey BUT a once in a lifetime experience - take the cog railroad to the top of Mt Washington. there is a little cafe at the top as well as the weather station. We went in 1986 taking 4 of the 2-legged animals with us and it was $25 per person with no guarantee of view. Just looked (gulp) it will be $62 for you and $39 each for the DS. IF you can swing it, I would still do it. (The $25 per was huge for us at the time but no regrets.)
We also got to see the Man on the Mountain but I understand he has fallen off since then.
There was an outlet mall with a Van Husen store at Portsmouth (the store I remember) back then. Beautiful scenery. They have lots of Kids & Family events on their web site.

Madeleine said:
Because who goes to NH?
wink_smile.gif

=)
Kk.
Madeleine said:
...Bars, lots of drinking, semi-nudity off the beach, that sort of thing....
regular_smile.gif
Do you have GPS coordinates you can share?
regular_smile.gif

Hampton Beach.

I didn't realize NH had a beach. I need to look at the map more!
My itinerary so far... very much in draft form:
Day 1 (Partial day) Drive to Rochester, NY
Day 2 National Museum of Play (Children's Museum), drive to Ticonderoga
Day 3 Fort Ticonderoga, Ben & Jerry's Factory in Waterbury, VT. Possibly swing through Burlington, VT, but probaby not. Stay somewhere in VT or NH.
Day 4 Mount Washington, drive to Maine
Day 5, 6 In Maine (don't know where yet, probably mid-coast)
Day 7, Maine / drive to Boston
Day 8, Boston all day
Day 9, Drive as far west as I can, by way RI and CT (and Plymouth Rock????)
Day 10 (Partial), Drive remainder home, hopefully arriving by 11 a.m. ish
Kathleen... I agree Mt. Washington Cog is expensive, but I'm going to do it. And another friend recommended the Gray Line Tour in Boston... again a lot more than I'd normally like to spend, but probably the best way for us to do Boston in a day.
I'm trying not to overplan and stay loose, but the organizer part of me wants to know where I'm staying each and every night. So far only the Boston lodging is set. I have decided not to even try to camp... which will save time and space in my car. I might try to find a cabin in Maine...
But I am starting to get excited about it!
=)
Kk.

I didn't realize NH had a beach. I need to look at the map more!
My itinerary so far... very much in draft form:
Day 1 (Partial day) Drive to Rochester, NY
Day 2 National Museum of Play (Children's Museum), drive to Ticonderoga
Day 3 Fort Ticonderoga, Ben & Jerry's Factory in Waterbury, VT. Possibly swing through Burlington, VT, but probaby not. Stay somewhere in VT or NH.
Day 4 Mount Washington, drive to Maine
Day 5, 6 In Maine (don't know where yet, probably mid-coast)
Day 7, Maine / drive to Boston
Day 8, Boston all day
Day 9, Drive as far west as I can, by way RI and CT (and Plymouth Rock????)
Day 10 (Partial), Drive remainder home, hopefully arriving by 11 a.m. ish
Kathleen... I agree Mt. Washington Cog is expensive, but I'm going to do it. And another friend recommended the Gray Line Tour in Boston... again a lot more than I'd normally like to spend, but probably the best way for us to do Boston in a day.
I'm trying not to overplan and stay loose, but the organizer part of me wants to know where I'm staying each and every night. So far only the Boston lodging is set. I have decided not to even try to camp... which will save time and space in my car. I might try to find a cabin in Maine...
But I am starting to get excited about it!
=)
Kk..
Take the Beantown trolley in Boston. You can get on and off at will all day. Go to the USS Constitution FIRST. The lines get VERY long as the day goes on.
At Fort Ticonderoga there is a (or was) small car ferry across the river to Vermont. It was my kids first ferry ride. It is still there - a 7-minute ride and it is not a river, it is Lake Champlain. http://www.forttiferry.com/page2.html The Fort is great. Tip - unless you have a reservation somewhere, get a room no later than 6 PM I wanted to stop in Albany but it was 6 PM & DH wanted to go farther. Lake George - no vacancy, EVERYWHERE - no vacancy. We slept in the 5-passenger Jeep Cherokee - 2 adults, a 6'3" 18 yo, a 16 yo 5'2", a 16 yo 5'11', and a 12 yo 5'3". It was NOT a comfortable night.
Found the Old Town Trolley - hop on and off also and online tickets are cheaper - http://www.trolleytours.com/boston/rates-and-reservations.asp
The other is this http://www.allbostontours.com/body.asp?tour=BOS-B0006&page=TourDetails

Back