What's for Breakfast? We're Expanding!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would put a king bed in. A small round table with 2 comfy chairs. An electric fireplace. A tub and a separate shower at least 48 inch.

I find omelets or waffles to be the easiest to do for two rooms. A nice frittata would be good, and Dutch babies (that's the same as German pancakes, right?) are also good. It would make a difference to me if you had a single serving time for breakfast or if you served over a range. We serve from 8:30 to 9:30, so casserole items have to last for an hour..
A very overdue, THANK YOU to everyone for replying! We've been so busy with guests, work, family relations and preparing for the expansion, I have had hardly time to sneeze. Going to work on 3-4 hours sleep, etc.
I haven't heard or eaten Dutch babies before, but must give them a try, especially with ramekins.
We try to serve at 9, and hopefully guests on time, unlike today. Hate to hold bacon and potato cakes for very long. You can usually throw a towel over the quiche and it will hold for a while.

I find omelets or waffles to be the easiest to do for two rooms. A nice frittata would be good, and Dutch babies (that's the same as German pancakes, right?) are also good. It would make a difference to me if you had a single serving time for breakfast or if you served over a range. We serve from 8:30 to 9:30, so casserole items have to last for an hour..
A very overdue, THANK YOU to everyone for replying! We've been so busy with guests, work, family relations and preparing for the expansion, I have had hardly time to sneeze. Going to work on 3-4 hours sleep, etc.
I haven't heard or eaten Dutch babies before, but must give them a try, especially with ramekins.
We try to serve at 9, and hopefully guests on time, unlike today. Hate to hold bacon and potato cakes for very long. You can usually throw a towel over the quiche and it will hold for a while.
We generally bake the bacon the day before and put it on paper towels wrapped in tin foil and reheat in the toaster oven. As long as you don't overcook it the first time it comes out pretty good.

Ideas? Also, is there something that you're glad you put into your guest quarters, or something that was a big mistake?
18x36 is huge! I would put two queen beds in for sure..
Well, I guess I got carried away. it is actually 18x26. I tend to do that with gas prices and my weight. Mess up the first digit, lol!

Ideas? Also, is there something that you're glad you put into your guest quarters, or something that was a big mistake?
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
18x36 is huge! I would put two queen beds in for sure.
Or 2 kings, if they fit. If I had that kind of room, I'd want a nice sitting area with comfy chairs, a fireplace and a decent-sized bathroom.
How big is decent sized? Hubby is thinking 5x10 and I think that is too small.

Good idea! And price it accordingly. My room with 2 Queen beds has come on stronger, since I raised the price!!! It used to be my lowest priced room by $10 because it has a claw foot tub but then a Wise One here told me to raise the price to the same as my other room in the main house. I was reminded that it's more work with the 2 beds. doh! And, I have an extra person charge in there for a third person. Max occupany is 3 people in there.
I plan to have a queen bed and we have already purchased a white enamel day-bed with gold globes on the top corners of the railing. I heard rooms with multiple beds do well. We have our present room at $80, but plan to start the other room at $120 plus probably a bit more if they use the day-bed.

I would put a king bed in. A small round table with 2 comfy chairs. An electric fireplace. A tub and a separate shower at least 48 inch..
We were at bnb upstate. Hubby liked the 2 person table and chairs he saw there, with a white tile top. Unsure just how we will work the 2 person corner jacuzzi and a shower. They don't seem to go together.(shower emptying into the jacuzzi.) DEFINITELY a couple comfy chairs. That is what bothers me now with the present room, no seating other than an upholstered piano bench. We do have an electric fireplace for the present room.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Or 2 kings, if they fit. If I had that kind of room, I'd want a nice sitting area with comfy chairs, a fireplace and a decent-sized bathroom.
remnjava said:
5x10 would be the bathroom size? Yeah, that's small. Is that the WHOLE bathroom or the floor that's left over after all the appliances are in? Figure you put a decent-sized shower in there (36") and that puts a dent in the 5' side. BUT, remember you have to clean it.

We generally bake the bacon the day before and put it on paper towels wrapped in tin foil and reheat in the toaster oven. As long as you don't overcook it the first time it comes out pretty good.
Thanks for the tip! I don't have a toaster oven, but have a FANTASTIC GE Profile Advantium microwave/oven. Will keep that in mind.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
remnjava said:
5x10 would be the bathroom size? Yeah, that's small. Is that the WHOLE bathroom or the floor that's left over after all the appliances are in? Figure you put a decent-sized shower in there (36") and that puts a dent in the 5' side. BUT, remember you have to clean it.
No, no appliances. We have our guest door emptying into our sunroom / dining room and only have 5' left over for a corner jacuzzi on that wall after installing the door. 4' vanity.Considering a closet that would hold a possible new air handler in the future, as well as innkeeper storage between door into sunroom and bath.
West wall of the sunroom is 8' long and we need to put a door there. The room will have two entrances. One off sunroom and the other off terrace. (Unfortunately to access room from terrace, involves climbing 10' of hillside, probably 50' trek in all.) Just the other side of the northwall is where our present bath plumbing is. Maybe we'll push the bath back a little so that area isn't so cramped.

Good idea! And price it accordingly. My room with 2 Queen beds has come on stronger, since I raised the price!!! It used to be my lowest priced room by $10 because it has a claw foot tub but then a Wise One here told me to raise the price to the same as my other room in the main house. I was reminded that it's more work with the 2 beds. doh! And, I have an extra person charge in there for a third person. Max occupany is 3 people in there.
I plan to have a queen bed and we have already purchased a white enamel day-bed with gold globes on the top corners of the railing. I heard rooms with multiple beds do well. We have our present room at $80, but plan to start the other room at $120 plus probably a bit more if they use the day-bed.
Bree can probably back me up on this, as well as other folks with more than one bed in a room. Rooms with multiple beds do well, but people sometimes also want to pack people in them. Be sure to have a good extra person charge :)

Bree can probably back me up on this, as well as other folks with more than one bed in a room. Rooms with multiple beds do well, but people sometimes also want to pack people in them. Be sure to have a good extra person charge :)
Samster said:
Around here they try to pack them in no matter how many beds, but definitely they DO try to get more in when there is more than one bed.

Samster said:
Around here they try to pack them in no matter how many beds, but definitely they DO try to get more in when there is more than one bed.
I had a call for our room with 2 Queen beds yesterday that will take 3 people. They were excited about the price until I told them that there was the $25 extra person charge. They were getting a Military Discount but that $25 made them say "no thanks". I found that interesting considering that I told them about breakfast and all the other included amenities. Oh, well...
Do we have a word in the glossary for cheapskates and/or people that want to pack a bunch of people into their room??

Samster said:
I had a call for our room with 2 Queen beds yesterday that will take 3 people. They were excited about the price until I told them that there was the $25 extra person charge. They were getting a Military Discount but that $25 made them say "no thanks". I found that interesting considering that I told them about breakfast and all the other included amenities. Oh, well...
Do we have a word in the glossary for cheapskates and/or people that want to pack a bunch of people into their room??

Samster said:
Samster said:
Sardines?

I would put a king bed in. A small round table with 2 comfy chairs. An electric fireplace. A tub and a separate shower at least 48 inch..
We were at bnb upstate. Hubby liked the 2 person table and chairs he saw there, with a white tile top. Unsure just how we will work the 2 person corner jacuzzi and a shower. They don't seem to go together.(shower emptying into the jacuzzi.) DEFINITELY a couple comfy chairs. That is what bothers me now with the present room, no seating other than an upholstered piano bench. We do have an electric fireplace for the present room.
The seating areas that we have in all our rooms are definitely a plus & all are used. I think the favorite is the 2 wing chairs with a small round table between them. I will go measure how much space that takes up & post it. Sometimes it's just the configuration that you have to work out. We have lots of different types of sitting area spaces in our rooms - loveseat, 2 chairs, sofa & chair, 2 chairs with an ottoman. As long as it's comfy with a good reading light......

The seating areas that we have in all our rooms are definitely a plus & all are used. I think the favorite is the 2 wing chairs with a small round table between them. I will go measure how much space that takes up & post it. Sometimes it's just the configuration that you have to work out. We have lots of different types of sitting area spaces in our rooms - loveseat, 2 chairs, sofa & chair, 2 chairs with an ottoman. As long as it's comfy with a good reading light......
Thanks for thoughts on seating. I think my favorite (in our present home) is the rocker/recliner. There are days I can't fall asleep in bed, so, like Goldilocks, I go and try out different places to sleep. The couch and recliner are two of my favorites. One of the reasons we chose the daybed is to provide additional seating and if there is a third guest.

What do you fell would be better 2 queens or a queen and a day bed?.
MTLLodge said:
What do you fell would be better 2 queens or a queen and a day bed?
Here is my take on it. If you can have two queens per room do it! The reason a couple might want a king - larger people, one snores, one kicks, whatever. Solution is two beds. A queen is usually acceptable to those used to king beds.
#2 reason - no one really likes day beds or sofa beds. A kid maybe. They can sometimes make the room look un-uniform.
#3 linens! If you had all the same size you can interchange them. Trust me when I tell you with three diff bed sizes here it is a nightmare which go on which bed. I CANNOT buy the same color - sure I can mark on them,but don't want to, I still have to look for the mark constantly. If a quilt gets destroyed you always have a back up. Economically it is the best choice (if you have room).
My 2 cents. If I could do it over I would do that!

Back