What's for Breakfast? We're Expanding!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suzie Q

Reaction score
We've decided to add a second guest bedroom! The raw area will be about 18x36, including bathroom. We are building on top of our existing framework, second story.
Now I need to figure out what to feed 4 people besides "quiche and French Toast." I think we will be serving family style, or individual baked dishes: no more eggs benedict or huevos rancheros. I get home 40 minutes before breakfast needs to appear on the table for a 9 o'clock breakfast, so I can't have something that needs to bake 45 minutes to an hour.plus oven warm up time. I have some "boats" that can hold a entree for two, or smaller ones for single serving.
Ideas? Also, is there something that you're glad you put into your guest quarters, or something that was a big mistake?
Thanks!

My biggest mistake was forgetting a closet for our first guest room.
=)
Kk.

Congrats!
For 2 rooms we will serve pancakes, FT, omelets.

Dutch Babies with sauteed strawberries or blueberries.(made in oval ramikins).

I find omelets or waffles to be the easiest to do for two rooms. A nice frittata would be good, and Dutch babies (that's the same as German pancakes, right?) are also good. It would make a difference to me if you had a single serving time for breakfast or if you served over a range. We serve from 8:30 to 9:30, so casserole items have to last for an hour.

I find omelets or waffles to be the easiest to do for two rooms. A nice frittata would be good, and Dutch babies (that's the same as German pancakes, right?) are also good. It would make a difference to me if you had a single serving time for breakfast or if you served over a range. We serve from 8:30 to 9:30, so casserole items have to last for an hour..
I'm pretty sure Dutch Babies are not the same as German pancakes. German pancakes (at least all the ones I've had) tend to be heavier and more bready. Dutch Babies puff way up and the sides rise forming a well in the middle so if you put them in oval ramekins they form little boats that are perfect for pouring fruit into.
The problem is they pretty much have to go right from oven to being served because they collapse as they cool.
They go over big here because people sitting on one side of out table can see them rising in the oven and watch them come out of the oven all puffed up. It builds great anticipation.

We serve family style and often only have 1 or 2 rooms. But several of my breakfasts are baked for 45 minutes to an hour.
Eggs Florentine only bakes about 30 mins, but you wouldn't have much time to put it together.
Pancakes
Waffles
Crepes (can be made in advance!)
Fritatas (very fast!)
Omelets / Scrambled Eggs
French Toast
Congrats!
=)
Kk.

All the things that the other folks mentioned. Also, you can just go with a simple breakfast of eggs cooked any way with whatever sides. Frittatas do work well for 2 rooms if you have a single serving time.
If you have room, a little sitting area with a table would be nice & you could offer the option of breakfast en suite. Lots of folks like that.
I agree with YS, our closets do get used. One of our largest rooms doesn't have a closet, just an armoire and it sometimes is a challenge.

Have you thought of a Hall Tree. It seems to work very well.
Now for the food. I like to make Quiche in individual Ramekins with no crust. Works well, serves very well, takes 20 min @ 400 degrees. Impressive. Could be made night before. Also individual egg bakes, all would take a shorter amount of time.

The Southwestern Potato Casserole works well, too - I've even put it in individual ramikins which cuts the baking time down, too

Now for the food. I like to make Quiche in individual Ramekins with no crust. Works well, serves very well, takes 20 min @ 400 degrees. Impressive. Could be made night before. Also individual egg bakes, all would take a shorter amount of time..
1linda said:
I got a nice, heavy duty clothes rack at an auction which actually fits nicely in the bathroom. So there's room to hang clothing and some robes. Above it are pillows and iron, behind it is ironing board. Not so tidy as I'd like it to be, but functional and the guests claim it's fine and handy.
=)
Kk.

I find omelets or waffles to be the easiest to do for two rooms. A nice frittata would be good, and Dutch babies (that's the same as German pancakes, right?) are also good. It would make a difference to me if you had a single serving time for breakfast or if you served over a range. We serve from 8:30 to 9:30, so casserole items have to last for an hour..
Do you have a recipe for Dutch Babies? I have one but I would like to compare with some others. Mine tastes like a pancake but doesn't look like a pancake. I put blackberry syrup over it that I make.

Do you have a recipe for Dutch Babies? I have one but I would like to compare with some others. Mine tastes like a pancake but doesn't look like a pancake. I put blackberry syrup over it that I make.
oceans said:
I was afraid someone was going to ask me that.. Now I have to get the crowbar out and pry it out of DW's hands. She's a tad bit protective about her recipes. If I have any luck I will post it in the recipe section. ;)

Speaking of scrapple I saw it on a menu for the first time this weekend.
barf.gif

barf.gif
My DH loves scrapple but he's particular about how it's cooked. One of his roommates used to deep-fry it. We saw them making it once at a fair and it's like gray oatmeal. Not for me.

I also saw kippers on the menu and another NE favorite - chipped beef. The only time I have had that was a coworker from Syracuse NY made it for me. I have seen it on menus but never strayed far from the bacon and eggs.
Not that I am suggesting any of these to expand your menu!

Ideas? Also, is there something that you're glad you put into your guest quarters, or something that was a big mistake?
18x36 is huge! I would put two queen beds in for sure.

barf.gif
You had to bring the scrapple up again!
barf.gif
One of the very, very few foods that I will not eat. We had it in our house growing up and my parents were fans. blech.
That and kippers for breakfast...my Dad would eat that. He learned to eat that from being a pilot in WWII in Britain. Also blech. (Sorry if I've offended any Anglophiles or Brits.)

18x36 is huge! I would put two queen beds in for sure..
Good idea! And price it accordingly. My room with 2 Queen beds has come on stronger, since I raised the price!!! It used to be my lowest priced room by $10 because it has a claw foot tub but then a Wise One here told me to raise the price to the same as my other room in the main house. I was reminded that it's more work with the 2 beds. doh! And, I have an extra person charge in there for a third person. Max occupany is 3 people in there.

18x36 is huge! I would put two queen beds in for sure..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
18x36 is huge! I would put two queen beds in for sure.
Or 2 kings, if they fit. If I had that kind of room, I'd want a nice sitting area with comfy chairs, a fireplace and a decent-sized bathroom.

Back