What's for Breakfast?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes...it's a very generous one-butt galley compared to my last boat which literally only one person could stand in the little U-shaped galley. Today, my galley is 10x7...still one-butt by my standards...."get out of my galley" is my favorite saying. It's my space! :) And in that 10x7 space, I have all of the full sized appliances found in a house....that's what make it a one-butt galley!
I just happen to have three of those sized loaf pans which I never use (now I will). I suspect I'll be buying more of those little pans. I have another customer who has since purchased her own charteryacht who loves English muffins with my orange marmalade butter. Next time she is on her boat here in Miami, I will make these for her. She loves to cook too, and we often exchange recipes and menus for charters. This English Muffin Bread may become known across the seas!
Sunday morning's breakfast will be full of first-time recipes....and mimosas and/or Kir Royale. Champagne with breakfast is a staple on a charteryacht. It just is.... And we do that for our B&B guests too..
Funny you should mention Mimosas - in the last week I have run into 2 couples (4 people mind you!) who had never heard of Mimosas!!! I was dumbfounded! The one couple was from Canada, so maybe it is an American thing, but the other couple I have been long distance friends with for years...guess I haven't done a good job of introducing them to the finer things in life! They were the ones that got stranded at DTW and came here for brunch and I made Yellow Socks' bacon for!
For a twist on the traditional mimosa, try substituting pomenegranate juice for the orange juice...oh my!!! Delish.
Rupert said:
For a twist on the traditional mimosa, try substituting pomenegranate juice for the orange juice...oh my!!! Delish.
Already one step ahead of you!! That is one our all-time favorites. Also Kir Royale - champagne and Chamboard (raspberry liqueur). A recently added favorite--Blueberry Mojitos. Hey, it's Miami!!!
Edit: Correction, we use pom liqueur, not the pom juice. Even better, if you ask me!
My sister has been ordering Kir Royales for years - she loves anything Raspberry! I like the sound of the pomegranate substitute myself - may have to give it a try. If you use the Pom liqueur then it is 100% alcohol, eh? Interesting! Friends and I are all over 50 and yes, I guess I didn't know about Mimosas till I was over 30.

Yes...it's a very generous one-butt galley compared to my last boat which literally only one person could stand in the little U-shaped galley. Today, my galley is 10x7...still one-butt by my standards...."get out of my galley" is my favorite saying. It's my space! :) And in that 10x7 space, I have all of the full sized appliances found in a house....that's what make it a one-butt galley!
I just happen to have three of those sized loaf pans which I never use (now I will). I suspect I'll be buying more of those little pans. I have another customer who has since purchased her own charteryacht who loves English muffins with my orange marmalade butter. Next time she is on her boat here in Miami, I will make these for her. She loves to cook too, and we often exchange recipes and menus for charters. This English Muffin Bread may become known across the seas!
Sunday morning's breakfast will be full of first-time recipes....and mimosas and/or Kir Royale. Champagne with breakfast is a staple on a charteryacht. It just is.... And we do that for our B&B guests too..
Funny you should mention Mimosas - in the last week I have run into 2 couples (4 people mind you!) who had never heard of Mimosas!!! I was dumbfounded! The one couple was from Canada, so maybe it is an American thing, but the other couple I have been long distance friends with for years...guess I haven't done a good job of introducing them to the finer things in life! They were the ones that got stranded at DTW and came here for brunch and I made Yellow Socks' bacon for!
Rupert said:
Already one step ahead of you!! That is one our all-time favorites. Also Kir Royale - champagne and Chamboard (raspberry liqueur). A recently added favorite--Blueberry Mojitos. Hey, it's Miami!!!
Edit: Correction, we use pom liqueur, not the pom juice. Even better, if you ask me!
cheers.gif

We used to always have mimosas on NY's day... but we haven't in a while.
Breakfast in 1/2 hour... fruit cup, pepper bacon, dutch babies... it's become my signature breakfast and people love it.
Breakfast for NY's day... Frosted Flakes! (No guests...)
=)
Kk.

This was the NY's Day brunch I just served, only got a couple pics of the cold stuff then it was crunch time to cook and serve it all hot. 6 guests.
I set the table fully – two plates and three glasses, chargers, flowers, candles and used the extra noise makers and confetti type things for the table and to decorate the buffet/sideboard. All served on vintage china.

Menu consisted of:

• · Orange Marmalade Coffee cake – in the round with pecans
  • · Mediterranean salad – English cucumbers, tomatoes, sliced Romano cheese, onion
  • · Fruit plate with fresh pineapple and kiwi
  • · Bagels toasted and buttered
  • · Hot Link beef sausages – sliced in half on an angle and grilled – horseradish mustard condiment
  • · Pork breakfast sausage links
  • · Shrimp cocktails placed on rims of small green glass with sauce in the center
  • · Scrambled eggs covered in cheese with diced tomatoes around edge of bowl and criss crossed long green onions – salsa on side
  • · Grilled Asparagus salt and peppered
  • · Feta and bell pepper stuffed giant mushrooms – baked
  • · Orange Juice (goblets and pitcher on table)
  • · Water glasses (an pitcher on table)
  • · Champagne in fostoria champagne glasses – a gift from us since we can’t sell it to guests without a license. J Poured by Host after seated. Only three had the champers.
  • Coffee/Tea
    lrg_Fruit_NY%27s_Brunch.JPG
Goodness! You must charge $200 per night!

Photos?
I went first with a 'menu' showing possible options for 4 seasons. Guests liked that. Then I did photos, they liked that even more.
If that's not it, punch up the names a bit. Even 'fabulous' French Toast or 'Fruit-topped' French Toast.
And list the sides, make it like a menu...'Starters,' 'Main Course,' 'Drinks,' 'Sides.'.
breakfast.jpg

Yea! It took a bit of doing, but I figured out how to post the photo we have on our breakfast page. We did away with the roses, but occasionally have flowers. We have a GREAT view from the sunroom/dining room. We added a tablecloth. We used to give away birthday balloons, but that kinda went by the wayside, too.
Just edited to put my name and "famous" beside the Quiche dish.

Photos?
I went first with a 'menu' showing possible options for 4 seasons. Guests liked that. Then I did photos, they liked that even more.
If that's not it, punch up the names a bit. Even 'fabulous' French Toast or 'Fruit-topped' French Toast.
And list the sides, make it like a menu...'Starters,' 'Main Course,' 'Drinks,' 'Sides.'.
breakfast.jpg

Yea! It took a bit of doing, but I figured out how to post the photo we have on our breakfast page. We did away with the roses, but occasionally have flowers. We have a GREAT view from the sunroom/dining room. We added a tablecloth. We used to give away birthday balloons, but that kinda went by the wayside, too.
Now what you need is a close-up of the food!

Photos?
breakfast.jpg

I would like a newspaper sitting to right side and I would never leave that spot! Looks beautiful!

Photos?
breakfast.jpg

I want a good breakfast at a nice B&B prepared by someone other than myself. tee hee hee....
I wish I could escape again.......

Photos?
breakfast.jpg

remnjava said:
breakfast.jpg

this is a great picture! if that is on your website, then why not just add some breakfast closeups? because that is a very inviting place to sit. what is that mug with the thing on top? is that tea?

Photos?
breakfast.jpg

Now what you need is a close-up of the food!
Definitely a closeup!

Photos?
breakfast.jpg

remnjava said:
breakfast.jpg

this is a great picture! if that is on your website, then why not just add some breakfast closeups? because that is a very inviting place to sit. what is that mug with the thing on top? is that tea?
Yes, that is a "tea cup." Bought at an Oriental store. It has the cup, strainer cup and a lid that doubles as a saucer. In the past, breakfast closeups looked less than inviting, based on the photography.

Photos?
breakfast.jpg

remnjava said:
breakfast.jpg

Yes, that is a "tea cup." Bought at an Oriental store. It has the cup, strainer cup and a lid that doubles as a saucer. In the past, breakfast closeups looked less than inviting, based on the photography.
remnjava said:
Put it on your calendar to do when you have a couple of hours. Seriously, hours. First thing I do is set up the table. Then I get the food ready so that when I am ready to shoot, I can plop the plate down and go to it. So you'll need a few shots with no food to see if the 'decor' works. I'm amazed how MUCH a wrinkle shows up in a photo that I don't see just looking at the table!
I've also had issues with glare off the tabletop and off the plate.
The last batch of pix I did I moved everything on the table around and even moved the table to get a better view out the window! I waited for green lights at the intersection because the red light shows up too much. (Still put a pic out with the red light because I liked the rest of it.)
I take a bunch of pix, run to the computer, download and look at them. I make notes on what didn't work and I change that out.
These are still not professional grade by a long shot. But none of my pix are so it fits in.
Then, when I think I have THE photo, I email it to Joey Bloggs and get the critique. At which point, I usually tear my hair out and start over.
wink_smile.gif
Joey has an eye for photography and layout.
It sounds like a lot of work, and it is, but it gets results. As soon as I can redo my room pix...

remnjava - would you be willing to share what your page says?
there are great suggestions here. you need to draw your guests in. with descriptions and with pictures.
'remnjava's famous huevos rancheros' ... tell your potential guest what is in them ... i've never made them and i don't know. can i have mine mild, and without the salsa?
my breakfasts were things like 'maggie's famous blueberry, chocolate chip, banana or buttermilk pancakes ~ a giant stack served hot with your choice of syrup' or , 'our fabulous jumbo waffles with berries, home made whipped cream and side sausage' i didn't have a picture of every breakfast, just a couple of them. before i had my own pictures, i bought stock photos from istockphoto.com that looked just like what i made. they cost $1.00 and i could use them on my website and promotional materials. if you go this route, make sure you are showing what you serve and not something you don't. i didn't make anything fancy ... it was just old fashioned cooking and plenty of it.
do you also mention that all breakfasts are served with 'a fruit dish, juice and beverage'? and what might the fruit dish be?
since you are quiet now, how about doing a little research online to see what the other places are doing? check out the websites of the places that are busy and see what they offer for breakfast. how do they describe it? not suggesting you copy it, but get some ideas from it..
* A full, hot breakfast, served with crystal and linens. Includes a fruit appetizer, entree with meat, freshly ground coffee/milk and juice.
* Vegans and vegetarians will enjoy fresh fruit kabobs and a diet catered to their desires.
[h2]Our Breakfast Menus[/h2]Huevos Rancheros (Eggs nestled on a tortilla with salsa and cheese) sausage patty, ham or bacon; fresh fruit or granola parfait; homemade muffins or quick bread; freshly ground coffee/juice/milk
Challah French Toast (French Toast using ethnic traditonal bread) sausage patty, ham or bacon; fresh fruit or granola parfait; homemade quick bread or muffins; freshly ground coffee/juice/milk
Eggs Benedict (Eggs and ham on a toasted English muffin topped with Hollandaise sauce) fruit / granola parfait; homemade quick bread or muffins; freshly ground coffee/juice/milk
Carol's Famous Crustless Quiche (Egg and cheese casserole with optional spinach) sausage patty, ham or bacon; fresh fruit or granola parfait; homemade muffins or quick bread; freshly ground coffee/juice/milk
Pancakes, Waffles, and Biscuits & Gravy are also available.

there are great suggestions here. you need to draw your guests in. with descriptions and with pictures.
'remnjava's famous huevos rancheros' ... tell your potential guest what is in them ... i've never made them and i don't know. can i have mine mild, and without the salsa?
my breakfasts were things like 'maggie's famous blueberry, chocolate chip, banana or buttermilk pancakes ~ a giant stack served hot with your choice of syrup' or , 'our fabulous jumbo waffles with berries, home made whipped cream and side sausage' i didn't have a picture of every breakfast, just a couple of them. before i had my own pictures, i bought stock photos from istockphoto.com that looked just like what i made. they cost $1.00 and i could use them on my website and promotional materials. if you go this route, make sure you are showing what you serve and not something you don't. i didn't make anything fancy ... it was just old fashioned cooking and plenty of it.
do you also mention that all breakfasts are served with 'a fruit dish, juice and beverage'? and what might the fruit dish be?
since you are quiet now, how about doing a little research online to see what the other places are doing? check out the websites of the places that are busy and see what they offer for breakfast. how do they describe it? not suggesting you copy it, but get some ideas from it..
* A full, hot breakfast, served with crystal and linens. Includes a fruit appetizer, entree with meat, freshly ground coffee/milk and juice.
* Vegans and vegetarians will enjoy fresh fruit kabobs and a diet catered to their desires.
[h2]Our Breakfast Menus[/h2]Huevos Rancheros (Eggs nestled on a tortilla with salsa and cheese) sausage patty, ham or bacon; fresh fruit or granola parfait; homemade muffins or quick bread; freshly ground coffee/juice/milk
Challah French Toast (French Toast using ethnic traditonal bread) sausage patty, ham or bacon; fresh fruit or granola parfait; homemade quick bread or muffins; freshly ground coffee/juice/milk
Eggs Benedict (Eggs and ham on a toasted English muffin topped with Hollandaise sauce) fruit / granola parfait; homemade quick bread or muffins; freshly ground coffee/juice/milk
Carol's Famous Crustless Quiche (Egg and cheese casserole with optional spinach) sausage patty, ham or bacon; fresh fruit or granola parfait; homemade muffins or quick bread; freshly ground coffee/juice/milk
WOW! Ever so much better!I would reverse the order on the 'freshly ground coffee/milk' as it sounds like you grind the milk, too. So, 'milk, juice and freshly-ground coffee.'
Now a funny...mixing 'challah' and 'pork' gave me a chuckle...

Excellent!

remnjava said:
this is great! surely that wonderful, descriptive breakfast page with the picutre of the table set by the window and a few breakfast closeups will be a draw! also, i'd tell people about the great view from the window. maybe have a gallery page with some pictures of outside? since i am mostly alone, i love being able to gaze out the window when dining
i just have a couple questions
challah french toast - i still don't know what challah bread is. so i googled it ... instead of ethnic traditional bread please tell me ... is it a golden egg bread? do you bake it? if so, tell your guests it's homemade, or is it from a local bakery? guests respond to that - they love that things are from a local bakery, dairy, egg farm, etc. and will often head out to find those places. and if it's your own recipe, i started saying 'recipes available' ...
i agree with morticia on switching out the juice/milk/fresly ground coffee ... also, do you have tea?
and my own personal question - is the salsa optional?

remnjava said:
this is great! surely that wonderful, descriptive breakfast page with the picutre of the table set by the window and a few breakfast closeups will be a draw! also, i'd tell people about the great view from the window. maybe have a gallery page with some pictures of outside? since i am mostly alone, i love being able to gaze out the window when dining
challah french toast - i still don't know what challah bread is. so i googled it ... instead of ethnic traditional bread please tell me ... is it a golden egg bread? do you bake it? if so, tell your guests it's homemade, or is it from a local bakery? guests respond to that - they love that things are from a local bakery, dairy, egg farm, etc. and will often head out to find those places. and if it's your own recipe, i started saying 'recipes available' ...
i agree with morticia on switching out the juice/milk/fresly ground coffee ... also, do you have tea?
Well, yes, I guess we don't grind our milk, lol! This has been in place almost since we started, with a few minor tweeks.
I guess the Huevos Rancheros without salsa would just be eggs on a tortilla.
Challah is a Jewish bread traditionally baked on Friday. That is when the national chain, Great Harvest Bakery. bakes it. They also sell leftovers on Saturday, being closed Sunday and Monday.
I tried to bake it myself, but had a nasty habit of not being quite done inside. YUCK!
We offer many different types of tea, and somehow in editing, it must have slipped off, or be on another page.
We had a Jewish woman stay with us, along with her non-Jewish husband. It was at the end of their 3 day stay that he disclosed she was Jewish. If they'd have said something earlier, I could have avoided pork at the table. As it was, she did eat a slice of bacon and perhaps a slice or bit of ham. The only thing she said was she wasn't fond of sausage, and neither am I, although I serve it.

remnjava said:
Well, yes, I guess we don't grind our milk, lol! This has been in place almost since we started, with a few minor tweeks.
I guess the Huevos Rancheros without salsa would just be eggs on a tortilla.
Challah is a Jewish bread traditionally baked on Friday. That is when the national chain, Great Harvest Bakery. bakes it. They also sell leftovers on Saturday, being closed Sunday and Monday.
I tried to bake it myself, but had a nasty habit of not being quite done inside. YUCK!
We offer many different types of tea, and somehow in editing, it must have slipped off, or be on another page.
We had a Jewish woman stay with us, along with her non-Jewish husband. It was at the end of their 3 day stay that he disclosed she was Jewish. If they'd have said something earlier, I could have avoided pork at the table. As it was, she did eat a slice of bacon and perhaps a slice or bit of ham. The only thing she said was she wasn't fond of sausage, and neither am I, although I serve it.
Not all Jews avoid pork. Just like not all Jews observe the Shabbat. I would never assume they did or didn't eat it. They know what a breakfast meat is, your list shows you added here are breakfast meats - ham, sausage, bacon.

Wow! So much better!! Now that's a breakfast menu that will draw them in!

Back