What's for Breakfast?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suzie Q

Reaction score
Happy New Year!
We've been pretty slow this time of year, a booking here and a booking there. Thankfully most have been 2 nighters.
Sometimes on my tracking, I see folks look at my breakfast page, and that is the last time "I see them." Maybe my choices for breakfast are too boring?
Huevos Rancheros
Eggs Benedict
Waffles
Biscuits and Gravy
French Toast
Quiche
What entrees have you served this week? I include a fruit dish and a baked dish as well as the beverage and juice. I need something I can whip together in 1/2 hour or less, but can include prep the night before.
Thanks!

This was the NY's Day brunch I just served, only got a couple pics of the cold stuff then it was crunch time to cook and serve it all hot. 6 guests.
I set the table fully – two plates and three glasses, chargers, flowers, candles and used the extra noise makers and confetti type things for the table and to decorate the buffet/sideboard. All served on vintage china.

Menu consisted of:

• · Orange Marmalade Coffee cake – in the round with pecans
  • · Mediterranean salad – English cucumbers, tomatoes, sliced Romano cheese, onion
  • · Fruit plate with fresh pineapple and kiwi
  • · Bagels toasted and buttered
  • · Hot Link beef sausages – sliced in half on an angle and grilled – horseradish mustard condiment
  • · Pork breakfast sausage links
  • · Shrimp cocktails placed on rims of small green glass with sauce in the center
  • · Scrambled eggs covered in cheese with diced tomatoes around edge of bowl and criss crossed long green onions – salsa on side
  • · Grilled Asparagus salt and peppered
  • · Feta and bell pepper stuffed giant mushrooms – baked
  • · Orange Juice (goblets and pitcher on table)
  • · Water glasses (an pitcher on table)
  • · Champagne in fostoria champagne glasses – a gift from us since we can’t sell it to guests without a license. J Poured by Host after seated. Only three had the champers.
  • Coffee/Tea
    lrg_Fruit_NY%27s_Brunch.JPG

Photos?
I went first with a 'menu' showing possible options for 4 seasons. Guests liked that. Then I did photos, they liked that even more.
If that's not it, punch up the names a bit. Even 'fabulous' French Toast or 'Fruit-topped' French Toast.
And list the sides, make it like a menu...'Starters,' 'Main Course,' 'Drinks,' 'Sides.'

My stomach is growling too and the kids are roaming around lost waiting to eat OUR boofay. They already mentioned their is shrimp left out there. They are all in there with places cleared and laughing and talking so I won't go clear up the stuff or they will get up and leave. I get enjoyment from them getting enjoyment at the table.

Photos?
I went first with a 'menu' showing possible options for 4 seasons. Guests liked that. Then I did photos, they liked that even more.
If that's not it, punch up the names a bit. Even 'fabulous' French Toast or 'Fruit-topped' French Toast.
And list the sides, make it like a menu...'Starters,' 'Main Course,' 'Drinks,' 'Sides.'.
That article you posted Mort said to use descriptive words re food - maybe that is all it takes - hand tossed...freshly brewed (sounds better than just "coffee" you can almost smell it!)

remnjava said:
Sometimes on my tracking, I see folks look at my breakfast page, and that is the last time "I see them." Maybe my choices for breakfast are too boring?
Huevos Rancheros
Eggs Benedict
Waffles
Biscuits and Gravy
French Toast
Quiche
I'm certain it sounds more boring than it is. Try fleshing out the names of your breakfast items to give them some flair. On the website, the French Toast is "Traverse City Cherry Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast". The pancakes are "David's Famous Pecan Apple Pancakes".
Paint a picture rather than supply a bullet list! We don't have photos of our food, but just the name of the entrees brings them in!

This was the NY's Day brunch I just served, only got a couple pics of the cold stuff then it was crunch time to cook and serve it all hot. 6 guests.
I set the table fully – two plates and three glasses, chargers, flowers, candles and used the extra noise makers and confetti type things for the table and to decorate the buffet/sideboard. All served on vintage china.

Menu consisted of:

• · Orange Marmalade Coffee cake – in the round with pecans
  • · Mediterranean salad – English cucumbers, tomatoes, sliced Romano cheese, onion
  • · Fruit plate with fresh pineapple and kiwi
  • · Bagels toasted and buttered
  • · Hot Link beef sausages – sliced in half on an angle and grilled – horseradish mustard condiment
  • · Pork breakfast sausage links
  • · Shrimp cocktails placed on rims of small green glass with sauce in the center
  • · Scrambled eggs covered in cheese with diced tomatoes around edge of bowl and criss crossed long green onions – salsa on side
  • · Grilled Asparagus salt and peppered
  • · Feta and bell pepper stuffed giant mushrooms – baked
  • · Orange Juice (goblets and pitcher on table)
  • · Water glasses (an pitcher on table)
  • · Champagne in fostoria champagne glasses – a gift from us since we can’t sell it to guests without a license. J Poured by Host after seated. Only three had the champers.
  • Coffee/Tea
    lrg_Fruit_NY%27s_Brunch.JPG
OMG that sounds wonderful!! I got the usual wonderful cocoa wheats w/sliced banana. After DH croaks - IF I outlive him - I will never touch cocoa wheats again!! Thank goodness I will be having leftover ham for lunch. Will get stuck with veggie soup for dinner.

I need something I can whip together in 1/2 hour or less, but can include prep the night before.
You can do the English Muffin bread in an hour total - including bake time - IF you have a nice warm place for the raising. Do the first measur of flour, yeast, soda, and sugar the night before. In the morning add the very warm water, beat, add remaining flour and put in the pans to raise for about 15 min. Put in oven with the eggs for 30 min and serve. THAT is my "knock their socks off" breakfast. The aroma of the bread baking gets them up too! You can also do the eggs the night before - just put in an air-tight container and add the chives & cheese just before pouring into the casserole in the morning and popping in the oven with the bread. I do the fruit while the entree bakes.

remnjava - would you be willing to share what your page says?
there are great suggestions here. you need to draw your guests in. with descriptions and with pictures.
'remnjava's famous huevos rancheros' ... tell your potential guest what is in them ... i've never made them and i don't know. can i have mine mild, and without the salsa?
my breakfasts were things like 'maggie's famous blueberry, chocolate chip, banana or buttermilk pancakes ~ a giant stack served hot with your choice of syrup' or , 'our fabulous jumbo waffles with berries, home made whipped cream and side sausage' i didn't have a picture of every breakfast, just a couple of them. before i had my own pictures, i bought stock photos from istockphoto.com that looked just like what i made. they cost $1.00 and i could use them on my website and promotional materials. if you go this route, make sure you are showing what you serve and not something you don't. i didn't make anything fancy ... it was just old fashioned cooking and plenty of it.
do you also mention that all breakfasts are served with 'a fruit dish, juice and beverage'? and what might the fruit dish be?
since you are quiet now, how about doing a little research online to see what the other places are doing? check out the websites of the places that are busy and see what they offer for breakfast. how do they describe it? not suggesting you copy it, but get some ideas from it.

Get GREAT photos, that has done wonders for us, people are now asking for the breakfasts based on what they saw on the site.
Joey...I am drooling and wishing I were eating that brunch! I am exhausted for you though, sounds like so much work. I hope you get to enjoy some of it too with your family.

Gillum, I have a fellow charteryacht chef coming over tomorrow. She and her captain husband will be overnighting aboard Sanctuary. I think we will try your English Muffin Bread. We always like to try new stuff together in the galley.

Gillum, I have a fellow charteryacht chef coming over tomorrow. She and her captain husband will be overnighting aboard Sanctuary. I think we will try your English Muffin Bread. We always like to try new stuff together in the galley..
I give each person his own loaf - have seen steak knives point when someone reached across the table. My most asked question is - "Can we have the rest of our bread?" Answer: "I already have it bagged for you."
Edited to add: Be careful - I heard you have a one-butt galley.

Yes...it's a very generous one-butt galley compared to my last boat which literally only one person could stand in the little U-shaped galley. Today, my galley is 10x7...still one-butt by my standards...."get out of my galley" is my favorite saying. It's my space! :) And in that 10x7 space, I have all of the full sized appliances found in a house....that's what make it a one-butt galley!
I just happen to have three of those sized loaf pans which I never use (now I will). I suspect I'll be buying more of those little pans. I have another customer who has since purchased her own charteryacht who loves English muffins with my orange marmalade butter. Next time she is on her boat here in Miami, I will make these for her. She loves to cook too, and we often exchange recipes and menus for charters. This English Muffin Bread may become known across the seas!
Sunday morning's breakfast will be full of first-time recipes....and mimosas and/or Kir Royale. Champagne with breakfast is a staple on a charteryacht. It just is.... And we do that for our B&B guests too.

Yes...it's a very generous one-butt galley compared to my last boat which literally only one person could stand in the little U-shaped galley. Today, my galley is 10x7...still one-butt by my standards...."get out of my galley" is my favorite saying. It's my space! :) And in that 10x7 space, I have all of the full sized appliances found in a house....that's what make it a one-butt galley!
I just happen to have three of those sized loaf pans which I never use (now I will). I suspect I'll be buying more of those little pans. I have another customer who has since purchased her own charteryacht who loves English muffins with my orange marmalade butter. Next time she is on her boat here in Miami, I will make these for her. She loves to cook too, and we often exchange recipes and menus for charters. This English Muffin Bread may become known across the seas!
Sunday morning's breakfast will be full of first-time recipes....and mimosas and/or Kir Royale. Champagne with breakfast is a staple on a charteryacht. It just is.... And we do that for our B&B guests too..
Funny you should mention Mimosas - in the last week I have run into 2 couples (4 people mind you!) who had never heard of Mimosas!!! I was dumbfounded! The one couple was from Canada, so maybe it is an American thing, but the other couple I have been long distance friends with for years...guess I haven't done a good job of introducing them to the finer things in life! They were the ones that got stranded at DTW and came here for brunch and I made Yellow Socks' bacon for!

Sunday morning's breakfast will be full of first-time recipes....and mimosas and/or Kir Royale. Champagne with breakfast is a staple on a charteryacht. It just is.... And we do that for our B&B guests too..
Funny you should mention Mimosas - in the last week I have run into 2 couples (4 people mind you!) who had never heard of Mimosas!!! I was dumbfounded! The one couple was from Canada, so maybe it is an American thing, but the other couple I have been long distance friends with for years...guess I haven't done a good job of introducing them to the finer things in life! They were the ones that got stranded at DTW and came here for brunch and I made Yellow Socks' bacon for!
No clue how old you and friends are, but I first heard about mimosas in my mid 30's. And only because I was dating a guy who liked to go out for brunch.

I guess I led a sheltered life. I first heard about mimosas here and have never had one.

For a twist on the traditional mimosa, try substituting pomenegranate juice for the orange juice...oh my!!! Delish.

For a twist on the traditional mimosa, try substituting pomenegranate juice for the orange juice...oh my!!! Delish.
Rupert said:
Already one step ahead of you!! That is one our all-time favorites. Also Kir Royale - champagne and Chamboard (raspberry liqueur). A recently added favorite--Blueberry Mojitos. Hey, it's Miami!!!
Edit: Correction, we use pom liqueur, not the pom juice. Even better, if you ask me!

Back