What's in a name?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Do you feel a room name sells one room more than another at your inn? Can you explain?

I think room NAMES vs numbers definitely sell rooms. I get a fair number of guests who pick a room because it is their own name or a kid's name or mother's name.

Or favorite flower, tree, color......
We have one room that does sell more than the others, the name does have a lot to do with it I think!

I'll chime in to say that I named my rooms after neighborhoods in my town. The room that books first has the most unpronouncable name, but it has the double whirlpool tub. I'd probably be wise to change the room name, but I had an artist paint each room's name on the door, and it's just too much hassle to change, and I doubt that it keeps people from booking.

we just have numbers but no one remembers them its always "we stayed in the room with the etc" maybe names would work better?

Not here because every room is a type of ivy.
I was looking for a bed and breakfast last year and this one stuck in my mind. The room name was innkeeps room. Well I can tell you I would not book that room because (even if it weren't true) it would feel that we were kicking out the innkeepers to stay in their room. Maybe not but that is how it felt.

We have historic names, mostly French and difficult to pronounce for some. Maybe it's schadenfreude again. The most popular room comes back to us as deh-May-sun-new-vey, but it's popularity likely is more about the private bathroom than the name.
Maybe I should just have fun with them and name them all with names or words that no one but the French can pronounce. Hochelaga (an Indian place name), moustique (mosquito), plomb (lead, the b is silent), chouchounne (cabbage, but as in a pet name for someone), Fournier (furrier) ...
Of course if you want to have that kind of fun in English, try words like: Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia, crwth, cwm, and onomatopoeia (which should sound like it is written, shouldn't it?) Or some names like Paul Theroux, Seamus Heaney, Michel Houellebecq and Jack Kerouac.
(Yeah, it's my day to send people to the dictionary)

What's fun too are the room names that people can't remember or pronounce so they call them something else. We all have at least one of those.
I was telling an innmate that my father is becoming archie bunker, he inserts the word closest to the word he thinks it might be, or can remember. Yesterday he told me "Your mother is going to the germacologist" which, like in Archie style, is actually pretty funny. He was talking about a dermatologist.
We have one room people constantly refer to as "the wash room"

We have historic names, mostly French and difficult to pronounce for some. Maybe it's schadenfreude again. The most popular room comes back to us as deh-May-sun-new-vey, but it's popularity likely is more about the private bathroom than the name.
Maybe I should just have fun with them and name them all with names or words that no one but the French can pronounce. Hochelaga (an Indian place name), moustique (mosquito), plomb (lead, the b is silent), chouchounne (cabbage, but as in a pet name for someone), Fournier (furrier) ...
Of course if you want to have that kind of fun in English, try words like: Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia, crwth, cwm, and onomatopoeia (which should sound like it is written, shouldn't it?) Or some names like Paul Theroux, Seamus Heaney, Michel Houellebecq and Jack Kerouac.
(Yeah, it's my day to send people to the dictionary).
We have one room with a French name that has been anglicized that everyone always tries to put the French spin back on. I tell guests, 'Around here it's 'Callas' not 'Cal-lay'.

We've been discussing name changes. We are new owners and the room names are from the PO. The Inn name is White Rose Inn and we have the Paris Suite, which seems to get booked the most often even though it's our smallest room, the English Rose, Irish Rose, and Deluxe Suite.
I get the English and Irish with the rose theme...I have no idea where Paris came from and I guess they ran out of ideas for the "deluxe"?
I hadn't thought about the name being a selling point...something I'll have to think over.

My rooms have names associated with previous owners of the house (we are a start-up). IF I was going to "theme" the rooms, the one I have railroad stuff in (curently in honor of the inn's namesake who was the B & O Station Agent) would be the Orange Blossom Special. I do not have a clue what I would do with the others, but I do think names do matter. Why do you think we NEVER considered naming our B & B with OUR name? How many people would book into The Panek House?

We've been discussing name changes. We are new owners and the room names are from the PO. The Inn name is White Rose Inn and we have the Paris Suite, which seems to get booked the most often even though it's our smallest room, the English Rose, Irish Rose, and Deluxe Suite.
I get the English and Irish with the rose theme...I have no idea where Paris came from and I guess they ran out of ideas for the "deluxe"?
I hadn't thought about the name being a selling point...something I'll have to think over..
You can also use the room names for SEO. So, if you have local places (mountains, lakes, famous sites) you can use those for your room names. We used to stay at a place that named all their rooms after the grapes that grew nearby.
'Deluxe' really sounds like they did run out of ideas.
We had an odd mix of names here. The rooms used to be named by color, then they were changed to reflect the original owners and parts of the house. THAT was confusing. Guest would call to book the room at the front of the house (which had been called the Green Room) but the room on the side of the house was called the Front Room so for the longest time I had ask guests to describe the room.
We renamed the wrongly christened 'Front' room to something more in keeping with the theme of the rest of the house and the area.
I'm looking at a couple of renames coming up next year but I need some decorating changes to go along with that.
Most guests do describe the room when they call back to rebook. But it's good for new guests who are just looking for the first time.

(Yeah, it's my day to send people to the dictionary).
We have one room with a French name that has been anglicized that everyone always tries to put the French spin back on. I tell guests, 'Around here it's 'Callas' not 'Cal-lay'.
Alibi Ike said:
We owned a Holden Calais when we lived down under. Good car! http://www.holden.com.au/vehicles/calais/calais

I hadn't thought about the name being a selling point...something I'll have to think over..
Miss O'Hara said:
I hadn't thought about the name being a selling point...something I'll have to think over.
Oh please make them your own!
You will like them more with your own names on them. I had some old pix I dug up from some reno's here from the PO's and the names were so funny "Twin room" ie the room with two twin beds, "Queen Room" the room with a queen bed. I had to laugh reading those! THen the next owners changed the name of the "Queen Room" to "Canopy Room" since it had a canopy bed.

My rooms have names associated with previous owners of the house (we are a start-up). IF I was going to "theme" the rooms, the one I have railroad stuff in (curently in honor of the inn's namesake who was the B & O Station Agent) would be the Orange Blossom Special. I do not have a clue what I would do with the others, but I do think names do matter. Why do you think we NEVER considered naming our B & B with OUR name? How many people would book into The Panek House?.
gillumhouse said:
How many people would book into The Panek House?
They might book in if they were in a hurry! haha

Miss O'Hara said:
You will like them more with your own names on them. I had some old pix I dug up from some reno's here from the PO's and the names were so funny "Twin room" ie the room with two twin beds, "Queen Room" the room with a queen bed. I had to laugh reading those! THen the next owners changed the name of the "Queen Room" to "Canopy Room" since it had a canopy bed.
I would love to go completely different here and do a book theme. Break free from the history aspect but so many people like the idea of sleeping in a 'known' person's room. (I won't say 'famous' because not a lot of people have heard of him.)

Miss O'Hara said:
I would love to go completely different here and do a book theme. Break free from the history aspect but so many people like the idea of sleeping in a 'known' person's room. (I won't say 'famous' because not a lot of people have heard of him.)
Alibi Ike said:
Or you could break the mold and change the rooms names every year...keep it fresh. That would be fun. Work, yes, but keepin' it fresh! haha

Interesting question! I'd say YES, names sell better! That is, as long as the B&B is small enough, so that each and every room can be described and presented on the website.
Good point also, that guests can remember which room they stayed in.

Back