What's in a view??

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samster

Reaction score
In another topic, I mentioned that I'd been looking at the other lodging choices here. In about 99% of the cases, the hotels here look out on some kind of major thoroughfare or a big expanse of parking lot adjacent to a major retail center. One has a freight train that goes right in front of it at night usually.
We are in a historic residential setting. Maybe I do have a "view" of sorts after all?? :)

We are in a rural setting, but on a main road. It's very hilly and twisty in our part of the county near the Ski Resort. Just partway up the hill from us is a picturesque farm with a big red barn and horses. I always see guests taking photos in that direction, and one long term stay actually painted a picture of it over the course of several days...just set up the seat and easel on the lawn and painted away.
We always laugh to see guests taking photos of the house, the sign, the meadow across the road and the barn up the hill. Makes me think that I should put those photos on the website, especially since the site mentions all of the wild critters you might see around here, including deer, turkeys, fox, bear, bald eagle and osprey.
Hmmmm

We are in a rural setting, but on a main road. It's very hilly and twisty in our part of the county near the Ski Resort. Just partway up the hill from us is a picturesque farm with a big red barn and horses. I always see guests taking photos in that direction, and one long term stay actually painted a picture of it over the course of several days...just set up the seat and easel on the lawn and painted away.
We always laugh to see guests taking photos of the house, the sign, the meadow across the road and the barn up the hill. Makes me think that I should put those photos on the website, especially since the site mentions all of the wild critters you might see around here, including deer, turkeys, fox, bear, bald eagle and osprey.
Hmmmm.
Little Blue said:
Hmmmm
I can hear the gears of your mind turning from here ;)

Hmmmm.
Little Blue said:
Hmmmm
Does anyone else smell something burning?!

Hmmmm.
Little Blue said:
Hmmmm
Little Blue said:
Nah, the wind isn't blowing from the right direction
tounge_smile.gif

We actually do have a view, esp in wintertime when the leaves are all gone by by but had a lady upset because the ROOM was supposed to have a view and she left ticked off. I have never mentioned a room with a view, but most of our rooms do look out on something.
Two look out on the gardens, two look out on a small mountain - I call a hill, one looks out over the valley and town. One overlooks a magnolia tree, others overlook maples. The porch has a view from one end, but I would not be sitting out there in winter!

We have a Million dollar view....of course you've been here.... so you know I am telling the truth :) The view is the first thing that WOW'd our guests.

We have a great view too, overlooking a lake and mountains. Two of the B&B rooms face the view, but all the rooms on the first floor do. It's pretty spectacular no matter what the season, but fall is exceptionally so.

Here's my #1 Non-view guest accommodation recommendation:
I remember a car trip we took long ago. We had waited a little too long to find accommodations (no reservations) and ended up late that night pulling into a "no tell motel". There was a foul stench awaiting us when we got out of the car, but we were tired and hoped that it did not permeate the whole facility and our room. Fortunately, for us, it didn't.
When we awoke the next morning we discovered that the motel was across the road from a very large and very messy stock yard. I guess the owners listened to the business mantra "location!, location!, location! when they built this place. NOT!

We are surrounded by forest, so the only view we have is our little vineyard. We also have local deer that appear on cue which is fun.
Riki

D. and I drove to Las Vegas for our first anniversary in 1994. We drove from here to just outside Oklahoma City in the first day...some 18 hours. Crashed at a highway-side Econolodge well after dark. When I woke up, I opened the drapes and was stunned to look out over a red-clay colored landscape with horses grazing in a pasture.
For this "Up North Michigan" girl, that was the most amazing and beautiful landscape! It's funny the things that stick in your mind.

When my parents moved from Michigan to Georgia, they got into town really early in the morning (around 2am) and decided not to call my Sister and wake her so they just stopped at a small hotel along the road. Please don't ask me why they didn't see the sign.....but when they woke up the next morning and my Dad went down to the lobby to get coffee he noticed they the hotel was connected to an ADULT club!!!!!!! He wouldn't even take the coffee and rushed back to the room and the immediately left! He was mortified and knew for sure they caught something from the room or toilet! I can't even make jokes about it still because he gets upset
teeth_smile.gif

You definitely have a 'residential' view. You have gardens, lawn, etc. It's a reasonably quiet street and I would push all of that!

Samster said:
In another topic, I mentioned that I'd been looking at the other lodging choices here. In about 99% of the cases, the hotels here look out on some kind of major thoroughfare or a big expanse of parking lot adjacent to a major retail center. One has a freight train that goes right in front of it at night usually.
We are in a historic residential setting. Maybe I do have a "view" of sorts after all?? :)
Yes you do. I am also in an Historic Residential setting and market it exactly that way. I emphasize the quiet, charming, historic neighborhood we are located in vs. the busier and obviously louder downtown enviroment. The fact that our village only has 1400 people, goes unsaid for obvious reasons, however we really are quieter here than our downtown area.

Back