What's Inn a Name?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was the runner up when we were picking names...the other being the burnt water inn... thank Goodness for food network!

I would suspect because they don't cook. For breakfast they offer danish, bagels, cereal and juice and coffee.

You're right, I didn't notice that. It would have been cuter if it had been a bachelor running it.

How about this for a name: "The Suffering Scholar Inn- 3 B's and an A" (Bed, Breakfast, and a Boot in the Arse at 11:00 in the morning?). That's what my very funny father thought we should name our B&B. We didn't.

How about this for a name: "The Suffering Scholar Inn- 3 B's and an A" (Bed, Breakfast, and a Boot in the Arse at 11:00 in the morning?). That's what my very funny father thought we should name our B&B. We didn't..
Country Girl said:
How about this for a name: "The Suffering Scholar Inn- 3 B's and an A" (Bed, Breakfast, and a Boot in the Arse at 11:00 in the morning?). That's what my very funny father thought we should name our B&B. We didn't.
Hmmm They stay, they pay, they get booted on their way LOL

I tried desparately to get a newbie to not use the word Storm in her name. She was so enamored with a certain sculpture that she used Storm in the name. I do not have any data on this - but after a year, she closed.
A name is very important IMO as it sets the tone. I knew one B & B that was named for a newspaper that had been printed in their house in its past history. It was not the negative generated by the other, but it did not sound as if it was a B & B. The new owners changed the name for marketing reasons only as it was a lovely inn with great innkeepers (he changed jobs) & they moved.
I tell my Aspirings to make it something you will not mind saying a million times, short is better than long (# characters allowed in some advertising), and if the house was built by the town's most prominent and famous citizen Jacob Schmidt, do not name it Schmidt House!

Similiarly, when we named our kids, we were advised to stand on the back porch of our house and yell the full name out (as if calling them inside for dinner) to see how it flowed...try answering the phone (pretend) with a B&B name and see if it flows.

Similiarly, when we named our kids, we were advised to stand on the back porch of our house and yell the full name out (as if calling them inside for dinner) to see how it flowed...try answering the phone (pretend) with a B&B name and see if it flows..
penelope said:
Similiarly, when we named our kids, we were advised to stand on the back porch of our house and yell the full name out (as if calling them inside for dinner) to see how it flowed...try answering the phone (pretend) with a B&B name and see if it flows.
We had a stray cat that wandered onto our block when I was a kid. He was two toned and mangy. He had only one eye. So naturally we named him Cyclops.
I used to hear front doors open all along the street when my mother stood out on the porch step and hollered "CYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY CLOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPS!" for his breakfast.

Similiarly, when we named our kids, we were advised to stand on the back porch of our house and yell the full name out (as if calling them inside for dinner) to see how it flowed...try answering the phone (pretend) with a B&B name and see if it flows..
penelope said:
We had a stray cat that wandered onto our block when I was a kid. He was two toned and mangy. He had only one eye. So naturally we named him Cyclops.
I used to hear front doors open all along the street when my mother stood out on the porch step and hollered "CYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY CLOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPS!" for his breakfast.
I had a friend with a three legged cat named Spray!

No question my inn has an unusual name - but I love it and it seems to attract the kind of guests that I enjoy and that enjoy me.

No question my inn has an unusual name - but I love it and it seems to attract the kind of guests that I enjoy and that enjoy me..
Unusual is good - if it makes sense. IMO to name a B & B after a newspaper makes it sound as if you are calling a newspaper. And there are certain words - anything associated with turmoil - that I think should be avoided. For instance, I would never, ever have named my B & B The Panek House because contrary to those who make it difficult to pronounce, it sounds like the button, just spelled differently.

Back