Whats that smell?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
Hi Folks, I need some advice from you all. One of my guest rooms has an smell eminating from it that is a cross between Italian vinagret and cheese. How can I get rid of it?

Can you narrow down where in the room it seems to be originating? Something spilled? Something wafting in from outside? Coming out of the drains?

Can you narrow down where in the room it seems to be originating? Something spilled? Something wafting in from outside? Coming out of the drains?.
Morticia said:
Can you narrow down where in the room it seems to be originating? Something spilled? Something wafting in from outside? Coming out of the drains?
No that is the mistery. I have sniffed that room from top to bottom and can not find it. I don't see any greasy stains on the rug or comforter. I even cleaned out the ac filter. I just cant find it but I sure can smell it.

Can you narrow down where in the room it seems to be originating? Something spilled? Something wafting in from outside? Coming out of the drains?.
Morticia said:
No that is the mistery. I have sniffed that room from top to bottom and can not find it. I don't see any greasy stains on the rug or comforter. I even cleaned out the ac filter. I just cant find it but I sure can smell it.
Oh, I totally understand that. We had a mystery smell, too. Actually it was present when the PO's owned the place and they 'fixed' it by buying one of those 'damp absorb' kits. I thought it was coming from the A/C, Gomez thought something else. But it was really bad for awhile (no one said a thing). We added a vent, trimmed some trees, all sorts of things. Until, one day, Gomez cleaned out the gutter UPSTAIRS. Apparently, the smell was coming in thru the bathroom vent. Problem solved, but it took almost a year to figure it out.
Could it be something outside? Do you smell it outside on that side of the building? Have you removed all the bedding and washed it? (Sorry, you don't need more laundry, I know.) Cleaned the carpet anyway?
Funny, but you could plop me down in any room here blindfolded and I could tell you what room it is. They all have their own 'smell'.

might someone have spritzed vinegar around the room to hide cigarette smell? just a thought.

The only thing I can't possibly attribute it to is 2 weeks ago, I had a man in that room traveling on business. He brought food into his room every day he was here. I think he spilled something. It smells like a greek salad with vinagret and feta. I cant find it and its driving me crazy !!!

carpeting? rug shampoo? is there a desk or table and chairs? might something have leaked out of trash bag into the trash can, on the inside of the trash can in the room? something under the bed? on the curtains? i dunno

This will not identify it, but it will help keep it at bay. Put a small dish with vanilla in it in the room. The vanilla (not extract) will absorb the odor until you can track it down with all the other suggestions.

Oh boy. Once I had a takehome container in my car with a Greek salad which leaked a lot of dressing onto the cloth car seats. We never ever got the smell out of that car. On a hot day it was wretched. I would guess that's exactly what happened. Can you figure out by sitting where he might have sat while eating? Take some things out of the room one at a time to see if the smell goes away? Check the rugs under any furniture. I once had guests rotate a big rug around to hide spilled wax under a sofa.

"One of my guest rooms has an smell eminating from it that is a cross between Italian vinagret and cheese. How can I get rid of it?"
Order the Spumone. bada boom.

Oh boy. Once I had a takehome container in my car with a Greek salad which leaked a lot of dressing onto the cloth car seats. We never ever got the smell out of that car. On a hot day it was wretched. I would guess that's exactly what happened. Can you figure out by sitting where he might have sat while eating? Take some things out of the room one at a time to see if the smell goes away? Check the rugs under any furniture. I once had guests rotate a big rug around to hide spilled wax under a sofa..
I once had guests rotate a big rug around to hide spilled wax under a sofa.
Grrrr!

If you have wood floors, a liquid could easily seep between the boards. Maybe a Lysol Disinfectant in the mop water may do the trick. OR
Do you have carpet or a rug in the room? Clean it with carpet cleanser and Odoban - great in removing odors. I am going to clean one of my carpets tomorrow with it, in hopes to get rid of an odor in one of my guest rooms. I think it is a hair product smell (strong even after a week) and have cleaned everything that would have had contact with the persons head but the odor comes back. The only thing left is to clean the carpet, maybe they spilled a little.

This will not identify it, but it will help keep it at bay. Put a small dish with vanilla in it in the room. The vanilla (not extract) will absorb the odor until you can track it down with all the other suggestions..
gillumhouse said:
This will not identify it, but it will help keep it at bay. Put a small dish with vanilla in it in the room. The vanilla (not extract) will absorb the odor until you can track it down with all the other suggestions.
What does that mean? A vanilla bean or ?

"One of my guest rooms has an smell eminating from it that is a cross between Italian vinagret and cheese. How can I get rid of it?"
Order the Spumone. bada boom..
Joey Bloggs said:
Order the Spumone. bada boom.
hahahahaha. oh, you're the funny one.

This will not identify it, but it will help keep it at bay. Put a small dish with vanilla in it in the room. The vanilla (not extract) will absorb the odor until you can track it down with all the other suggestions..
gillumhouse said:
What does that mean? A vanilla bean or ?
Not a bean. What I meant by not extract is not the imitation vanilla stuff. A friend brings me a bottle of vanilla from Mexico every so often and if I run out, I can get it at the bulk food market in the university city near here. Vanilla - the real thang!

I once had a guest from Korea who brought a small electric cooker with him and cooked kim chee (a cabbage, onion, and garlic dish) in his room. I couldn't believe it. He only cooked it once and nothing spilled but on a very humid day I swear I can still smell it. I think it seeped into the walls.

I once had a guest from Korea who brought a small electric cooker with him and cooked kim chee (a cabbage, onion, and garlic dish) in his room. I couldn't believe it. He only cooked it once and nothing spilled but on a very humid day I swear I can still smell it. I think it seeped into the walls..
Country Girl said:
I once had a guest from Korea who brought a small electric cooker with him and cooked kim chee (a cabbage, onion, and garlic dish) in his room. I couldn't believe it. He only cooked it once and nothing spilled but on a very humid day I swear I can still smell it. I think it seeped into the walls.
I think he had stayed here with several of his fiends. Oh that stuff really reeks! After smelling that we had to inform them they were not to cook again. It took everything but taking the cooker away from them to get them to understand. (You know the ones that can understand everyting until it is something they do not want to understand.)

Back