What's the deal?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
So, this couple has had tea and coffee several times today. At breakfast and then later on in the afternoon they made their own. They found the trash can to throw out their McD's bag but not to throw away the used teabags and coffee pods, which are strewn all over the counter.
head%20scratch.jpg

sloppy. i don't know why!
this is exactly why i had one of these mini trash bins on the counter next to the make-your-own coffee with pods and nonrefridgerated creamer and had a tiny sign on it that said ... "Trash - used pods, teabags, creamers." (yes, i actually had to put a sign on it)
med_trash.jpg

i would have a clean common area that looked just awful after certain guests went in, made coffee and tea and left their trash around ... it looked as though the place hadn't been cleaned even though just a few minutes before it looked nice.
sorry!

We get this too. There is a small trash can right next to the self-help coffee/tea area, but some days I go out there and the little bowl that is meant to hold used spoons is filled to overflowing with used tea bags, tea bag wrappers, splenda packets, etc. I like the little trash can but my table is already too full to fit it. People just don't think.

this is exactly why i had one of these mini trash bins on the counter next to the make-your-own coffee with pods and nonrefridgerated creamer and had a tiny sign on it that said ... "Trash - used pods, teabags, creamers." (yes, i actually had to put a sign on it)
med_trash.jpg

i would have a clean common area that looked just awful after certain guests went in, made coffee and tea and left their trash around ... it looked as though the place hadn't been cleaned even though just a few minutes before it looked nice.
sorry!.
I love my P-Touch. I love my P-Touch. I love my P-Touch.... making labels is easy.

med_trash.jpg

sorry!.
I love my P-Touch. I love my P-Touch. I love my P-Touch.... making labels is easy.
ME TOO! I am a label-holic. No one reads 'em, but I still like 'em!

As adorable as those mini trashcans are, and I really like them, I won't have a trash receptacle on top of a table or counter.
People are slobs, just face it, they do that at home, it is not just at a B&B. They will put their used teaspoon ON the table cloth instead of on a saucer.

med_trash.jpg

sorry!.
Our marmalade is marked as Lady Marmalade, every once in a while people chuckle at it and from time to time people ask us why. We also have Notella on the table.... cause it's NOT Nutella.

med_trash.jpg

sorry!.
Our marmalade is marked as Lady Marmalade, every once in a while people chuckle at it and from time to time people ask us why. We also have Notella on the table.... cause it's NOT Nutella.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Good way to get people to read your labels...
lightbulb.gif

Now tell us, do they work?
Our little coffee service table will not hold another thing so a little can OR trash bowl is out but this does not mean there is not room for trash - if there is an inch, people will fill it with trash (instead of using the can beside the table)!
cry_smile.gif

med_trash.jpg

sorry!.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
lightbulb.gif

Our little coffee service table will not hold another thing so a little can OR trash bowl is out but this does not mean there is not room for trash - if there is an inch, people will fill it with trash (instead of using the can beside the table)!
cry_smile.gif

We have a hot water dispenser that has a button that say "OPEN" on it. People would naturally push it, it's the lever to open the unit and refill. So, I put a label on it that says "detonate" on it to see if that would keep people from pushing it. Well, then you got the curious to push it. So, I thought for a while and finally came up with a label and now they sometimes ask about it, but they never touch it. So, what did I write on the label?
Finger Chopper

med_trash.jpg

sorry!.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
lightbulb.gif

cry_smile.gif

We have a hot water dispenser that has a button that say "OPEN" on it. People would naturally push it, it's the lever to open the unit and refill. So, I put a label on it that says "detonate" on it to see if that would keep people from pushing it. Well, then you got the curious to push it. So, I thought for a while and finally came up with a label and now they sometimes ask about it, but they never touch it. So, what did I write on the label?
Finger Chopper
Aha! Good one. I laways have guests popping open the entire top of the kettle in order to pour the water out. No, it comes out the spout, not the top.

what drives me mad is we have a small trash can next to the buffet as we do all our cerial in individual packets ie you pour your cerial into the bowl and put the packet in the bin and pour your milk on sit down. You just get one or two leave the packets on the buffet! Do you see anyone elses packets all over? no cos they managed to put them in the bin! Plus baffled by people who cannot see cups, side plates and cutlery on their tables and ask me where they cutlery is to eat their breakfast! One you table in front of you !DUH

As adorable as those mini trashcans are, and I really like them, I won't have a trash receptacle on top of a table or counter.
People are slobs, just face it, they do that at home, it is not just at a B&B. They will put their used teaspoon ON the table cloth instead of on a saucer..
I agree, even mini, a trash can is not a counter top item. I put out a decorated flower pot with a water proof liner, salt it with a spoon and a used K-cup to communicate its purpose (like a tip jar at a deli). So far, nearly 100% effect.

People are slobs, just face it, they do that at home, it is not just at a B&B. They will put their used teaspoon ON the table cloth instead of on a saucer..
I agree, even mini, a trash can is not a counter top item. I put out a decorated flower pot with a water proof liner, salt it with a spoon and a used K-cup to communicate its purpose (like a tip jar at a deli). So far, nearly 100% effect.
I like that one. I always forget to do the salting part.

hello, I am new here and travel often to B&Bs. Maybe I will own one someday
I notice that my fellow travelers seem to be unaware of what to do when they're at the beverage center.
maybe they need a note "used teabags and other trash go in the rubbish bin at the side of the counter"
sometimes people need to be led by the nose.

hello, I am new here but I agree about rubbish bins on top of a table or counter.
it seems rather unsanitary, doesn't it?

I notice that my fellow travelers seem to be unaware of what to do when they're at the beverage center.
maybe they need a note "used teabags and other trash go in the rubbish bin at the side of the counter"
sometimes people need to be led by the nose..
bnbtraveler said:
sometimes people need to be led by the nose.
Welcome to the forum.
This is where I stand on the issue the more notes the more people get irritated, they don't like to be treated like children. Having said that I have a note that says to use mugs for hot water as someone BOILED water in the kettle then put it in a thin plastic cup that is for our cold water dispenser. In this incident, I don't think a note would have helped, it is beyond silly.
But as innkeepers we try to not put little notes up everywhere. If there are two lined waste baskets sitting right beside the coffee area table and they still can't work it out, well what can you do!

hello, I am new here but I agree about rubbish bins on top of a table or counter.
it seems rather unsanitary, doesn't it?
When we mention those little 'trash bins' we're not talking some slimy, oozing mess. It's a metal trash can, very small, that is cleaned every day. Not really any different from a bowl with all the trash bits in it. They're actually pretty cute in a Jetson's sort of way!
What you would grow to hate in your travels would be to find little notes everywhere telling you what to do. We all of us hope that guests will open their eyes, assume we have provided for every need and just turn their heads a scant degree east or west and LOOK for what they obviously think is missing.
I had an inspector here the other who was standing NEXT to a box of tissues and she said, 'You don't provide tissues for the guests?' So, even people who are supposed to SEE stuff don't, but it gets annoying when 14 guests can find the trash can and the other 2 seem oblivious to what everyone else is doing around them.

what baffles me as well is people who when you bring them a pot of tea look in it to be sure it is tea! what do they think I have put in there? a small hamster?

Back