What's the purpose?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I get a fair number of calls from 'Private Name Private Number' and they are all pretty much the same.
  • Is this a B&B?
  • Are you open year round?
  • Are you in (my town)?
End of conversation.

pranksters? building a directory? building a phone list to sell to others who will call : wanting you to sign on for something? contribute to something? sell you a phony seo thing? build you a website?

pranksters? building a directory? building a phone list to sell to others who will call : wanting you to sign on for something? contribute to something? sell you a phony seo thing? build you a website?.
seashanty said:
pranksters? building a directory? building a phone list to sell to others who will call : wanting you to sign on for something? contribute to something? sell you a phony seo thing? build you a website?
Everything but pranksters, I think.

I usually don't answer anything that comes up Private or Unknown caller/number. Ii figure if it is a legit call they will leave a message.

I usually don't answer anything that comes up Private or Unknown caller/number. Ii figure if it is a legit call they will leave a message..
suellen222 said:
I usually don't answer anything that comes up Private or Unknown caller/number. Ii figure if it is a legit call they will leave a message.
I have 10 other B&B's in my immediate area they can call. I answer every call unless I recognize the number as a previous scammer. It's a high ranking complaint by guests, 'No one answered at the other places I called.' A lot of private businesses block the outgoing numbers and a lot of guests book from work. Several times I have been tempted to answer sarcastically and it's always been a guest trying to get info or book.
But, when I hear the 6000 other 'guests' talking in the background, I know they are gathering info to someday drive me crazy.
I've been getting the scam with the 'we need the number on your copier machine' kind of frequently lately. I generally say, 'Why would I have a copier in my house? Do you have a copier in your house? Really? What for?'

I usually don't answer anything that comes up Private or Unknown caller/number. Ii figure if it is a legit call they will leave a message..
suellen222 said:
I have 10 other B&B's in my immediate area they can call. I answer every call unless I recognize the number as a previous scammer. It's a high ranking complaint by guests, 'No one answered at the other places I called.' A lot of private businesses block the outgoing numbers and a lot of guests book from work. Several times I have been tempted to answer sarcastically and it's always been a guest trying to get info or book.
But, when I hear the 6000 other 'guests' talking in the background, I know they are gathering info to someday drive me crazy.
I've been getting the scam with the 'we need the number on your copier machine' kind of frequently lately. I generally say, 'Why would I have a copier in my house? Do you have a copier in your house? Really? What for?'
The one I have been getting lately is the Yellow Pages verifying my information is correct. I have been saying, I am too busy to talk now (or I am just going out the door). Goodbye. and hang up.

suellen222 said:
The one I have been getting lately is the Yellow Pages verifying my information is correct. I have been saying, I am too busy to talk now (or I am just going out the door). Goodbye. and hang up.
I always get yellow pages wanting to varify my info. I tell them if they know it find but I am not giving any info out.
If someone call me and wants to sell me something I say you have called my resveration line and ask if they want to make a reservation. It really throws them off.

suellen222 said:
I always get yellow pages wanting to varify my info. I tell them if they know it find but I am not giving any info out.
If someone call me and wants to sell me something I say you have called my resveration line and ask if they want to make a reservation. It really throws them off.
sandynn said:
Oh, yeah, I do that reservation line one, too.
I know the easiest thing is to just hang up, but sometimes I play the game.
  • 'Oh, you need to speak with someone in accounting, please hold.'
  • 'Oh, you need to talk with the accountant, this is the reservation line, you need to call the main office. Thanks.'
  • 'Wow, sorry, that person just got fired and no one knows why.'
  • 'That person got fired for talking to telemarketers, I have to hang up now.'
  • 'Sorry, we only support local charities.'
  • 'Sorry, if the charity can afford to hire you, they don't need my money.'
  • 'Sorry, you must have dialed a wrong number.' (Which I know gets them because a computer dials the phone.)
  • 'You can really get me on page one of Google? Using what search terms? Did you use those search terms to see if this business is already on page one? What did you find?' (They are usually searching on something so not what I do or where I'm located that it's odd they even try to answer.)
The web SEO people get told we hire out the web design so they need to contact them directly.

hahahahaha
housekeeping, please hold ... reservations, please hold ... breakfast room, please hold ... front desk, please hold ... laundry, please hold ... maintenance, please hold ... please hold ... please hold
seriously, that yellow pages thing wanting to verify your info is a scam, right? i always assume it is.

Two words- Call Block.
Most phone companies will give a residental or commericalal customer this service. You may have to pay for it, or it may be available to you as a bundled service with your provider, but it really helps. I have about 32 numbers blocked on my phone number for our business and thats after about 2 years of service. Most are scammers or recorded announcements. But once I add their number, thats it, I never hear from them again.
I used to tell the scammers to remove me from their phone lists, but that didnt always work because within a week or two I would get another call from them, just from a different sales rep.
Good luck.
thumbs_up.gif

Two words- Call Block.
Most phone companies will give a residental or commericalal customer this service. You may have to pay for it, or it may be available to you as a bundled service with your provider, but it really helps. I have about 32 numbers blocked on my phone number for our business and thats after about 2 years of service. Most are scammers or recorded announcements. But once I add their number, thats it, I never hear from them again.
I used to tell the scammers to remove me from their phone lists, but that didnt always work because within a week or two I would get another call from them, just from a different sales rep.
Good luck.
thumbs_up.gif
Can't block calls here that come from out of state, some weird rule I found when I tried to do that. Also, can't block fake numbers. Scammers can put anything on the caller id that they want to. I regularly get calls from real businesses that are really from scammers who put real names on their outgoing calls.

Back