Whats the real story with Credit Card cvv codes?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
Do you or do you not need them?
I can get an approval against a Credit Card with out a cvv code, so what do you really need them for????

With my old merchant account I used to have to enter cvv and zip code. Once I changed to a different merchant account I no longer have to deal with either of those things and personally, I'm glad I don't have their cvv information.

There were a couple good threads on this a while back. You can see one here:
https://www.innspiring.com/node/3139
There are a few good links in that thread to outside information on CVV codes. In short, they are a fraud prevention measure, particularly useful to make sure that someone has the card sitting in front of them. They should not have an impact on the rates you get - there is no determination in cc fees that signifies CVV code entered or not at this time. Processors may pass fees onto you, but those fees are coming from the processor, not the cc companies, and many/most processors do not charge them.

Personally, if a cc is processed online I think it should require the cvv code, as of late I have had a large number of people booking rooms for other people! I know we get into legalities etc. John you have explained that thoroughly.
But still have more using third party credit cards than every before - this year!! Whether it was a gift (wedding night) or due to the fact people are in debt or bankrupt. In the past two weeks I have had this occur THREE TIMES. Only one who booked a room for their parents in Canada had a different name - albeit the SAME last name - whose address is on the booking? The card holder or the guests address? I caught this one as one was in my state and the other mentioned parents are in Ontario.
One room made it quite difficult and I required they call the cardholder to speak to me approving using their card as I stood right there with them. This put a huge damper on their stay. Of course the card holder was not home. She tried the cell #, no answer.
When they walked out of the room, we pushed REDIAL to get the #'s she dialed and called them ourselves. UGH! The owner of the card eventually called back as she saw US on her calls missed. When she called she said this and I quote "Well how much is it for?"
Now we are not negotiating a stay with HER, this couple booked a two night stay, using her credit card. We did not know this was not the OTHER guests name...one guest was "John Smith" the other was not listed. But the credit card said "Kathy Jones" so I assumed it was the other guest when I received the webervations booking.

For a 3rd party paying for someone elses reservation we have been requiring a faxed/scanned/mailed statement approving the charges as well as a copy of their drivers lic. With all the fraud going on you can't be to careful.

For a 3rd party paying for someone elses reservation we have been requiring a faxed/scanned/mailed statement approving the charges as well as a copy of their drivers lic. With all the fraud going on you can't be to careful..
Hangfive said:
For a 3rd party paying for someone elses reservation we have been requiring a faxed/scanned/mailed statement approving the charges as well as a copy of their drivers lic. With all the fraud going on you can't be to careful.
This is what I do as well adding that I also ask for a copy of their CC - front and back (signature on it). - If they are local, most just come by and I process as I would if they themselves were checking in.

For a 3rd party paying for someone elses reservation we have been requiring a faxed/scanned/mailed statement approving the charges as well as a copy of their drivers lic. With all the fraud going on you can't be to careful..
Hangfive said:
This is what I do as well adding that I also ask for a copy of their CC - front and back (signature on it). - If they are local, most just come by and I process as I would if they themselves were checking in.
This is what I do as well adding that I also ask for a copy of their CC - front and back (signature on it).
whattha.gif

I'd be really cautious about asking anyone to scan their licence and copy of the card and then presumeably email it. Email is in no way secure and now you've created a situation where anyone that intercepts the email has everything they need to use that card fraudulently.

Hangfive said:
This is what I do as well adding that I also ask for a copy of their CC - front and back (signature on it).
whattha.gif

I'd be really cautious about asking anyone to scan their licence and copy of the card and then presumeably email it. Email is in no way secure and now you've created a situation where anyone that intercepts the email has everything they need to use that card fraudulently.
swirt said:
whattha.gif

Like our friend who is in the firefighters credit union, and gave us a check that had his social security, DOB, address, phone # and driver's license pre-printed on it. A person I would akin to a rocket scientist...Seriousely. Unbelievable that he did this. He was, apparently required to for some sort of something he purchased at regularly.
I told him all I need now is your PIN code on your bank account, hm let me see and picked a number I figured it would be, and it was! Woke him up quick!

Hangfive said:
whattha.gif

swirt said:
whattha.gif

Like our friend who is in the firefighters credit union, and gave us a check that had his social security, DOB, address, phone # and driver's license pre-printed on it. A person I would akin to a rocket scientist...Seriousely. Unbelievable that he did this. He was, apparently required to for some sort of something he purchased at regularly.
I told him all I need now is your PIN code on your bank account, hm let me see and picked a number I figured it would be, and it was! Woke him up quick!
Rocket scientists are the easy pickings people. We have a friend who is brilliant - but he cannot walk across a street and chew gum at the same time!

Back