Whats the take away?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine

Reaction score
Hi Guys! OK, so I've posted my (sell) listing which includes my website, a few times on fb (my personal page not the inn page). People are looking at it and sharing it on their pages. My stats show that the average daily hits to the site are about 47 from fb. (thats high for me). And the hits are from all around the country (a few international). Most are just looking at the front page (home) and thats all with no click throughs
sad_smile.gif
. Some click through.
When I included a link from innshopper I got many more click throughs but fewer visits and shares.
So does that mean when I included the innshopper link only those who were interested in buying looked at the ad and didn't bother to 'share' it? but when I didn't include the 'innshopper' link, people at least clicked on the site to see the home page of the B&B (and more people shared it on their page).
My initial thought is, well, at least its getting the B&B name out there and people are finding out we are here, which may lead to more bookings (might not, and may lead to less bookings - I get that). BUT... we are trying to sell. And who knows, maybe 'the one' will see it!
So should I continue to include the innshopper link or no (on my fb listing)? I'm thinking 'no' because more people seem to see it and share it when I don't.

I think of posts (status updates) on FB as being perishable commodities. Yes, they are "forever" on the timeline on your FB page, but that's not where most people will see them -- rather, most people see them in their newsfeed and ticker (when a friend comments or likes, etc..; that is what makes them "perishable."
So I assume that you will continue to (periodically) post on FB about your Inn being for sale, in which, case why not just continue doing what you are doing and alternate between sometimes including the link and sometimes not including the link, so as to cover your bases and reach both types of audiences?

When I do a share (just about every time I see it), I usually comment selling due to elderly parents, NOT because of occupancy - or something similar. I want people to know this is a viable property, that it is not being sold for lack of business. I am hoping that will be helpful.

When I do a share (just about every time I see it), I usually comment selling due to elderly parents, NOT because of occupancy - or something similar. I want people to know this is a viable property, that it is not being sold for lack of business. I am hoping that will be helpful..
Thank you K. I see your shares, and I sincerely do appreciate it. You are so kind to share these every time. <3
I haven't said 'why' we are selling 'in' my posts... I should probably state that, so folks know. Thank you.

I think of posts (status updates) on FB as being perishable commodities. Yes, they are "forever" on the timeline on your FB page, but that's not where most people will see them -- rather, most people see them in their newsfeed and ticker (when a friend comments or likes, etc..; that is what makes them "perishable."
So I assume that you will continue to (periodically) post on FB about your Inn being for sale, in which, case why not just continue doing what you are doing and alternate between sometimes including the link and sometimes not including the link, so as to cover your bases and reach both types of audiences?.
Yes, Harbor, that is what I am doing. and I try to re-post it at least once a week. I also have it listed on the fb state real estate site, and the beautiful b&b page, and the local for sale page.

When I do a share (just about every time I see it), I usually comment selling due to elderly parents, NOT because of occupancy - or something similar. I want people to know this is a viable property, that it is not being sold for lack of business. I am hoping that will be helpful..
Thank you K. I see your shares, and I sincerely do appreciate it. You are so kind to share these every time. <3
I haven't said 'why' we are selling 'in' my posts... I should probably state that, so folks know. Thank you.
Sunshine said:
I see vultures. People who want to undercut your price because you're desperate to leave.
Stick to the facts of the business not the motivation for selling.

Sunshine said:
I see vultures. People who want to undercut your price because you're desperate to leave.
I was trying to dissipate the "desperation" thought by saying the selling is not because of lack of business. Perhaps you are correct. The problem of frequent posts though DOES suggest desperation which we know is not the case - sort of.

Sunshine said:
ok, so if we don't say due to aging parents, if we just say "to be closer to family" that doesn't sound desperate right?
I could state it like " our B&B is a wonderful business that keeps us busy and we absolutely love it and we know our buyer will love the business also. However we are ready to move closer to family and enjoy our new grandchild. We love owning a b&b so much we plan to purchase another B&B when we move closer to family".

Sunshine said:
I was trying to dissipate the "desperation" thought by saying the selling is not because of lack of business. Perhaps you are correct. The problem of frequent posts though DOES suggest desperation which we know is not the case - sort of.
gillumhouse said:
K- we're not desperate or we would have sold as a home a long time ago. We do terribly miss family and that sweet new darling grandchild that is growing so fast. But we are not ready to 'give the farm away' either.

Sunshine said:
ok, so if we don't say due to aging parents, if we just say "to be closer to family" that doesn't sound desperate right?
I could state it like " our B&B is a wonderful business that keeps us busy and we absolutely love it and we know our buyer will love the business also. However we are ready to move closer to family and enjoy our new grandchild. We love owning a b&b so much we plan to purchase another B&B when we move closer to family".
Sunshine said:
I'd say no.
"We are ready to move on to new opportunities in a new location. We will sign a non-compete agreement with the new owners."
That says you are still interested, not burned out, looking forward to doing this somewhere else, but it keeps the vultures out of your personal life.
Let's say I just watched this whole scenario playing out with a friend. Buyer and seller were in each other's personal business and a lot of money was lost by the seller because the buyer held all the cards in re knowing exactly how much the seller wanted to move for the same reasons as yourself.
Don't show your hand so soon in the game. Keep it to yourself how much you're willing to negotiate to get to where you want to be.

Sunshine said:
gillumhouse said:
K- we're not desperate or we would have sold as a home a long time ago. We do terribly miss family and that sweet new darling grandchild that is growing so fast. But we are not ready to 'give the farm away' either.
I know that. I think the We are looking to re-locate to another area with another... eliminates the desperation idea. No mention makes one think burned out and I KNOW you are not;

Sunshine said:
I don't know if it will help, but you could go to our website and check out, "The Five Year Plan". We are not for sale and it doesn't sound like five years is where you are at, but it does give you an idea of how we introduced the idea to the world. Maybe it will give you an idea you can use. http://kau-hawaii.com/the-five-year-plan/

It is no one's business why you are selling. They are only being nosy.

Sunshine said:
omg_smile.gif
And I thought I was special when she shares mine ;-)
I Share, or Like a lot of innmates posts too, but worry about over-doing it for my FB friends, so don't share 100%.

Sunshine said:
omg_smile.gif
I Share, or Like a lot of innmates posts too, but worry about over-doing it for my FB friends, so don't share 100%.
Arks said:
Sunshine said:
omg_smile.gif
Arks I just remind myself that my peeps do not see all of my posts and plug away.

Back