What's the word for this...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I am trying to make the first letter of a word a large, script letter on my website. There's a term for that so that it formats correctly. I just can't come up with the term so I can search for how to do it!

first-letter pseudo-element
This may be it...

Isn't it Superscript? THough I don't think you can actually do that in HTML...Some just make a graphic image for it and place in the name/ title on the page.

It is called drop-caps. It can be done in html by making the <font size=xxx> tag set the font bigger than the surrounding text. That is actually only a simulation, as html doesn't actually do it correctly. Another way to do it is to use CSS to set a <span> tag to a larger size. A third way to do it is to use a graphic image of the large letter - that is the way to most closely imitate typeset printing.
BTW, initial caps is the editorial term for the first letter of each word being capitalized. Superscript (which can indeed be done in html) is the term for small text raised, as in a footnote or mathematical notation. Putting it down lower is called subscript.

It is called drop-caps. It can be done in html by making the <font size=xxx> tag set the font bigger than the surrounding text. That is actually only a simulation, as html doesn't actually do it correctly. Another way to do it is to use CSS to set a <span> tag to a larger size. A third way to do it is to use a graphic image of the large letter - that is the way to most closely imitate typeset printing.
BTW, initial caps is the editorial term for the first letter of each word being capitalized. Superscript (which can indeed be done in html) is the term for small text raised, as in a footnote or mathematical notation. Putting it down lower is called subscript..
Thanks for clarifying Scott. We knew someone out there had to know the right way.

BTW, initial caps is the editorial term for the first letter of each word being capitalized. Superscript (which can indeed be done in html) is the term for small text raised, as in a footnote or mathematical notation. Putting it down lower is called subscript..
I shoulda just picked up the phone...thanks!

Back