What's up with TA today?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I clicked my usual link to my town-B&B's on TA this morning and I got the 'homepage' for the town instead. Clicking the link for 'All B&B's' got me the restaurant list. When I finally got to the B&B page all of the B&B's say 'Be the first to review this hotel'. It shows there are 51 reviews but all of the actual reviews are gone. Anyone else seeing this?

Something screwy going on there today. Bet they are doing some server work.

I popped on my listing earlier this morning and none of the reviews were there.
=)
Kk.

Yep..it is back to normal now... must have been doing some maintenance

ta is a scary place! looked at some places up your way and the latest review for one nearby is bad. really bad. and someone who left a review 3 days before that for the same place is glowing.
confused_smile.gif

ta is a scary place! looked at some places up your way and the latest review for one nearby is bad. really bad. and someone who left a review 3 days before that for the same place is glowing.
confused_smile.gif
Yeah he gets a lot of PITA's because he "puts it out there and they EXPECT IT. That one bad one was a doozey...don't know what people want. They obviously weren't B & B people.

confused_smile.gif
seashanty said:
confused_smile.gif
If you're talking about the place I think, I can totally 'hear' him making those comments.

confused_smile.gif
Yeah he gets a lot of PITA's because he "puts it out there and they EXPECT IT. That one bad one was a doozey...don't know what people want. They obviously weren't B & B people.
catlady said:
Sorry, what guests want is to be treated in a civilized manner. We got a couple of those guests over the summer, the ones who had no place to stay. And we weren't the only place. Very nice people. Very upset at the way they were treated. Luckily, we were able to make their experience a good one so they didn't leave the town/state/country with a bad taste in their mouths.

their stay was described as 'awful' i believe.
what were you hearing? is the guest experience totally inconsistent? with some guests loving the place, and others staying at around the same time who feel just the opposite? and apparently both reactions justified?
i wonder what impact this has on a potential guest, reading two totally different reviews, wondering what is going on. and maybe not stay.

what were you hearing? is the guest experience totally inconsistent? with some guests loving the place, and others staying at around the same time who feel just the opposite? and apparently both reactions justified?
i wonder what impact this has on a potential guest, reading two totally different reviews, wondering what is going on. and maybe not stay..
seashanty said:
i wonder what impact this has on a potential guest, reading two totally different reviews, wondering what is going on. and maybe not stay.
OK, that one. I was referring to a different one. From what I gather from guests I have spoken with, they love that place you read about or they hate it. There are 2 schools right there and the playground backs up to part of their yard, so it might get noisy, but it's the middle of the day for Pete's sake. But, I've called him a few times and he's never home so he has to call someone to go to the inn if I send walk-ins. And I had one walk-in who said to me when I had no rooms open, 'Please don't send me to that awful place with the dogs.'
And yet I've had people call me by mistake thinking I'm that B&B and ramble on about how much they love the place as I'm trying to figure out WHO they're talking about. It's pretty easy with a few key comments...
So, like I said, you love it or you hate it. Consistency is not their strong point. They own 3-4 other businesses and have 5-6 kids, so it's hectic.

i wonder what impact this has on a potential guest, reading two totally different reviews, wondering what is going on. and maybe not stay..
seashanty said:
OK, that one. I was referring to a different one. From what I gather from guests I have spoken with, they love that place you read about or they hate it. There are 2 schools right there and the playground backs up to part of their yard, so it might get noisy, but it's the middle of the day for Pete's sake. But, I've called him a few times and he's never home so he has to call someone to go to the inn if I send walk-ins. And I had one walk-in who said to me when I had no rooms open, 'Please don't send me to that awful place with the dogs.'
And yet I've had people call me by mistake thinking I'm that B&B and ramble on about how much they love the place as I'm trying to figure out WHO they're talking about. It's pretty easy with a few key comments...
So, like I said, you love it or you hate it. Consistency is not their strong point. They own 3-4 other businesses and have 5-6 kids, so it's hectic.
If they own a bunch of other businesses and have all those kids, what do you expect? I couldn't do it...I'd be dead from exhaustion.

The place I stayed last weekend they have three kids (5, 4, 18 mos), and one on the way. She has a full-time job (although often works from home). He owns a pizza parlor. Together they run a 3 room B&B. She has cleaning help on Mondays, and a nanny. After the fourth is born in April she'll give up her FT job, and probably lose the nanny. She said she's lucky that her mom lives only a few blocks away.
When they bought the B&B they had no kids... and it only had one room for the innkeepers. They added an entire wing and reconfigured the common areas so that the guests have one less room (mostly unused anyway) and they have one more in the private spaces (which are fabulous!).
=)
Kk.

The place I stayed last weekend they have three kids (5, 4, 18 mos), and one on the way. She has a full-time job (although often works from home). He owns a pizza parlor. Together they run a 3 room B&B. She has cleaning help on Mondays, and a nanny. After the fourth is born in April she'll give up her FT job, and probably lose the nanny. She said she's lucky that her mom lives only a few blocks away.
When they bought the B&B they had no kids... and it only had one room for the innkeepers. They added an entire wing and reconfigured the common areas so that the guests have one less room (mostly unused anyway) and they have one more in the private spaces (which are fabulous!).
=)
Kk..
That is a lot to take on. If they are doing it well, I really admire them!!

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Question: What is mostly unused? Like our dining rooms that are necessary but only used in the am's? Just wondering. We talked about that here, the next owners could... sorta thing. We thought heck we could turn the dining room into a bedroom and make the parlor the dining room.
We already envision someone coming in and turning our quarters (family room/bedroom/bathroom) into a suite then using the second innkeeper bedroom only. I would hate to see that, I don't like it when innkeepers think they can get by living in a closet. How much more is it worth for the family to have more space (I am agreeing with the people you mentioned).

I think some people have personalities that just don't mesh with the innkeeper. This one has tons of great reviews so it tells me these people must have been real PITA's. Everyone has to deal with a bad review at one time or another. I think most people in general if they see a bad review and all the others are great they consider the source and chalk it up to those guests. I mean 1 out 200...give me a break!!

I think some people have personalities that just don't mesh with the innkeeper. This one has tons of great reviews so it tells me these people must have been real PITA's. Everyone has to deal with a bad review at one time or another. I think most people in general if they see a bad review and all the others are great they consider the source and chalk it up to those guests. I mean 1 out 200...give me a break!!
catlady said:
I think we may all be talking about different places. No one around here has 200 reviews!

catlady said:
I think we may all be talking about different places. No one around here has 200 reviews!
Yeah, other than seashanty's, I can't figure out who anybody is talking about...
help.gif

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Question: What is mostly unused? Like our dining rooms that are necessary but only used in the am's? Just wondering. We talked about that here, the next owners could... sorta thing. We thought heck we could turn the dining room into a bedroom and make the parlor the dining room.
We already envision someone coming in and turning our quarters (family room/bedroom/bathroom) into a suite then using the second innkeeper bedroom only. I would hate to see that, I don't like it when innkeepers think they can get by living in a closet. How much more is it worth for the family to have more space (I am agreeing with the people you mentioned).
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
In their downstairs you enter into a hall/foyer. To the left is a dining/sitting room. Straight ahead is a door that says Private (with a knocker on it) and the stairs going up. It used to be the door that says Private led to the dining room. The owner's mom noticed that no one used the sitting room much, so why not move the dining room in there, make it a combo room (it's big enough!), and take the dining room as personal space. They did, and no one's ever missed it.
Behind what used to be the dining room was a small room where the previous innkeeper had her entire sleeping and living quarters, with a tiny kitchen behind it. That room is now their private eating area, and they've just redone the kitchen (which she let me see... gorgeous!!!), as well as adding a slider window/door off the eating area to their huge deck. The room that was the dining room is now sort of a play area/living room where her kids can be while she's serving breakfast.
They also built a two story addition, which is another wing behind the kitchen. I didn't get to go there, but it has a garage, laundry room, and two bedrooms on the first floor. The second floor has a huge bedroom/living room area (she said it's like a studio apartment up there). When they're both home her husband keeps the kids up there with him. And since it's an addition, it's all new and nice.
The other cool thing they have is a back staircase which goes from the second floor (where the guest rooms are) down to their dining room. It's basically the equivalent in coolness to my laundry chute.
=)
Kk.

catlady said:
Yeah, other than seashanty's, I can't figure out who anybody is talking about...
help.gif

OOOPS...she was replying to BREE..not me... I was talking about an inn in my VA town. Sorry for all the confusion
kiss.gif

Back